Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ghall
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Feb 2011, 7:47 pm

So I've been having some issues with my girlfriend. We've been dating for about a year and a half and lately we've been getting into arguments because I say something stupid. I have had a lot of similar problems in the past, and I have learned specifically what not to say to a girl, but it's still a bit trial-and-error with things I haven't said before. When I look back there are plenty of warning signs like my girlfriend trying to change the subject that I just totally miss. For example today I was talking to her about my opinions on the food industry and why fast food is terrible for people's health. I had good intentions, she eats fast food sometimes and I am legitimately worried about her, but when I told her she became offended and said she felt like I was judging her. I had no idea she would have reacted that way, and I really think she's getting tired of me making mistakes like this. It must be at least as frustrating for her as it is for me because sometimes I honestly don't understand the reaction. I wasn't judging her, I was telling her my concern for her.

Its frustrating because besides these slip-ups our relationship is healthy and going well. I honestly don't know what to do to solve this, it makes me look and feel like an a-hole. It has lead to me basically destroying previous relationships and I don't want to end up doing that again. Has anyone here been through something similar? Any suggestions?

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 1:39 am

ghall wrote:
Any suggestions?

Yes. Men and women think differently in general. Women tend to be emotional while men are more likely to rely on cold logic.

Just because you disagree on a subject does NOT mean that you are in the wrong or that your relationship is in danger.

ghall wrote:
I was talking to her about my opinions on the food industry and why fast food is terrible for people's health. I had good intentions, she eats fast food sometimes and I am legitimately worried about her, but when I told her she became offended and said she felt like I was judging her.

Big no win problem here. If you try to beat her down with facts, figures and logic she will just get more emotional.

But if you give into her every time and apologize for your views then she will lose respect for you.

Welcome to the "Catch 22" of male/female relationships.