Losing the "inner" romantic?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 8:33 pm

It seems I can't really explain why I'd ask the question in the topic the way I did without giving a bit of background info. So, here it goes...

A few years ago, I considered myself a heavy romantic and thought that most women liked that sort of thing. I did a lot of things at the time I thought would be romantic, like imagine going on walks, writing her a song/poem, saving her life in the most fairy-tale like scenario possible, etc (all with the hint of AS, of course). I used to get really immersed in this sorta thing, until I actually figured out the problem - all that stuff happened before I even built up the courage to talk to her. Not to mention it clouded my judgment, thoughts, and everything else in my life...

Now, years later, I've built up the courage and can talk to women no problem, but it feels like I had to kill the inner romantic and a portion of myself, by extension. Because of that, I feel that when the possibility of a relationship arises, I may not be able to provide enough in terms of emotional output and wind up withdrawing completely (this was what happened with the last attempt).

I guess my question is if anyone here has experienced this sort of thing before? And if you have, is there a way to, I guess, "recapture" that level of emotion and still be able to retain some sense of self??

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 10:28 pm

i think that you have a healthier balance now, in the sense that you don't have the one-sided romatic aspect anymore. what that probably means is that you have matured enough to connect with a person based on your chemisty and interactions together, instead of the feelings being based on the IDEA of the relationship.

it sounds like you are doing less of the "pedestalising" (considering woemn to be perfect and untouchable) and approaching women more realistically. but i don't think it will mean that all romance is gone. i think that you will have more of a subject for your affections versus an object.

it's possible (and even likely) that once you are in a relationship with someone, that inner romantic side will be rekindled. you'll likely want to be with her a lot and feel strong emotions towards her and want to show how you feel with gestures and such. since you felt that before you will likely feel good embracing that side. i don't think the inner romantic side is "lost"... i think it is probably just dormant.

also, one last point - some women are heavy romantics and some are not. and... some MEN are heavy romantics and some are not. putting aside how women might feel about that aspect, it's quite possible that you are a man who likes romantic stuff. nothing wrong with that, and i hope you will continue to be honest with yourself if it resurfaces.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 10:59 am

Yeah, maybe you shouldn't be that romantic at first and try to build it up after establishing that she is considering a relationship with you.
You'll know if she likes this about you or not.
I have done the whole romantic thing and I know that you need a connection before trying to go further.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 1:21 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
i think that you have a healthier balance now, in the sense that you don't have the one-sided romatic aspect anymore. what that probably means is that you have matured enough to connect with a person based on your chemisty and interactions together, instead of the feelings being based on the IDEA of the relationship.

it sounds like you are doing less of the "pedestalising" (considering woemn to be perfect and untouchable) and approaching women more realistically. but i don't think it will mean that all romance is gone. i think that you will have more of a subject for your affections versus an object.

it's possible (and even likely) that once you are in a relationship with someone, that inner romantic side will be rekindled. you'll likely want to be with her a lot and feel strong emotions towards her and want to show how you feel with gestures and such. since you felt that before you will likely feel good embracing that side. i don't think the inner romantic side is "lost"... i think it is probably just dormant.

also, one last point - some women are heavy romantics and some are not. and... some MEN are heavy romantics and some are not. putting aside how women might feel about that aspect, it's quite possible that you are a man who likes romantic stuff. nothing wrong with that, and i hope you will continue to be honest with yourself if it resurfaces.

Ah, dormant! I don't know why, but I always tend to forget that's an option :? As for women and men being romantics, yeah, you're right. I just remembered that once upon a time I assumed it was that aspect of me that scared off the women I was attracted to. Maybe you're right hyperlexian - when the time comes, I'll try to keep this in mind! Thanks! P.S. Love the username :P

PastFixations wrote:
Yeah, maybe you shouldn't be that romantic at first and try to build it up after establishing that she is considering a relationship with you.
You'll know if she likes this about you or not.
I have done the whole romantic thing and I know that you need a connection before trying to go further.

This probably wasn't that clear in the post, but I've already reached that conclusion. You are right about the saving it until later bit, though. Not sure how long this might be, and while it might be frustrating, I'm not completely out of hope just yet.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 1:27 pm

AScomposer13413 wrote:
Ah, dormant! I don't know why, but I always tend to forget that's an option :? As for women and men being romantics, yeah, you're right. I just remembered that once upon a time I assumed it was that aspect of me that scared off the women I was attracted to. Maybe you're right hyperlexian - when the time comes, I'll try to keep this in mind! Thanks! P.S. Love the username :P

thanks. i talk A LOT - it's not the technical definition of hyperlexia, but it sort of describes me.

you're right that it may have scared them off if it was too soon or too much (i have been that way myself), but in doses i think you're golden.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 2:17 pm

I'm insane but golden.
Anyway, it seems that you should think less about wanting and more about you. You have to make changes to the life you have. In a relationship, it's not about doing only what you want, it's about comprimising.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 4:40 pm

Ditto.

I ditched my poet side a long time ago.

and it was for the better; poet guys are seen as wusses.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 4:51 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Ditto.

Not really, what if this poet guy was also a professional boxer? Sure he may wear some frilly pair of undies but he would knock you for 6.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 4:57 pm

PastFixations wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Ditto.

Not really, what if this poet guy was also a professional boxer? Sure he may wear some frilly pair of undies but he would knock you for 6.

He would be seen as strong because of his profession as boxer and not because of his poet skills.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 5:04 pm

male poets are often highly coveted indeed, as are artists (on AVERAGE they have more relationships and sex partners than non-artists). think Leonard Cohen before he recorded music. but it's important to not just write poems FOR someone, though that is appreciated too. there is a reason men do it: it WORKS. it's all a matter of timing and carefully choosing your subject

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 5:12 pm

Quote:
male poets are often highly coveted indeed, as are artists (on AVERAGE they have more relationships and sex partners than non-artists)

Famous poet males are bad example.

FAME is the keyword here.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 5:14 pm

Quote:
there is a reason men do it: it WORKS. it's all a matter of timing and carefully choosing your subject

It works as much as simply asking out the girl works - I don't think it adds much more chance.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 5:51 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
male poets are often highly coveted indeed, as are artists (on AVERAGE they have more relationships and sex partners than non-artists). think Leonard Cohen before he recorded music. but it's important to not just write poems FOR someone, though that is appreciated too. there is a reason men do it: it WORKS. it's all a matter of timing and carefully choosing your subject

That bold part is probably what led me to try to (subconsciously) kill the poet side of me. I wasn't sure how to get the right subject matter at the right time. Even now, I still struggle with it, but thankfully my love for (writing) music forbades me from it's disappearance :P If on average artists have more relationships than non-artists...looks like I'll keep working on my music, then ;)

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 5:57 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:
there is a reason men do it: it WORKS. it's all a matter of timing and carefully choosing your subject

It works as much as simply asking out the girl works - I don't think it adds much more chance.
i didn't say to ask a girl out with poetry. but being a poet and also writing poetry for a woman once they are dating will both be cool

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 8:21 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:
male poets are often highly coveted indeed, as are artists (on AVERAGE they have more relationships and sex partners than non-artists)

Famous poet males are bad example.

FAME is the keyword here.

they don't have to be famous, trust me.

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 8:28 pm

it's all a case of judging what is considered 'too much'. sorta