Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 10:26 pm

I need to ask this becuase besides the other characteristics which go with having AS will the odd way i walk "On tip toes" I have also been described by a kid as "Walking like i have poo up my bum". Will this cause me a problem when meeting girls and will they make an unfair pre judgment just becuase i walk weirdly? COuld I just say i injured my leg or have a pronounced limp? If I have a good down to earth personality would it really matter if i walk a bit funny?

I can walk normally if i try but i just feel self concious and uncoumftable in my own skin. i can control it but sometimes without realising i can walk oddly.

My eye contact can be poor but its something i am working on. I don't really talk in a montone voice so maybe its not all so bad.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 12:06 am

I try to keep my public behavior as normal as possible. I have worked for many years to suppress compulsive behavior and movements, especially stimming. That's one of the very few and perverse benefits to growing up without support. You're forced to find ways to appear normal when you clearly aren't. The more you practice suppressing in public, the easier it will become. It's sort of like juggling. It's hard to keep all these balls in the air - making eye contact, preventing monotoned, remembering good social responses, suppressing compulsive behavior - but the more you practice, the better you'll get and soon, like all professional jugglers, you'll make it look easy.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 5:19 am

Jamesy wrote:
I need to ask this becuase besides the other characteristics which go with having AS will the odd way i walk "On tip toes" I have also been described by a kid as "Walking like i have poo up my bum". Will this cause me a problem when meeting girls and will they make an unfair pre judgment just becuase i walk weirdly? COuld I just say i injured my leg or have a pronounced limp? If I have a good down to earth personality would it really matter if i walk a bit funny?

I can walk normally if i try but i just feel self concious and uncoumftable in my own skin. i can control it but sometimes without realising i can walk oddly.

My eye contact can be poor but its something i am working on. I don't really talk in a montone voice so maybe its not all so bad.

I suppose you could say you have mild cerebral palsy if your gait really is that odd, but I do think people should make an effort to address mannerisms that deduct from their attractiveness.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 9:46 am

So if i keep practising i can appear completely normal. remember aspergers effects everyone differently so one person might be more weird than another.

i would never think somebody is weird just becuase of how they walk.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 1:46 pm

I do think that you'll be able to better suppress compulsive behaviors and silly walks (monty python reference) with practice. Yes, everyone is different. I have a number of compulsive behaviors, whereas a lot of people just have one or two things that they do. I'm big into trying to appear normal. Other aspies aren't that concerned with it. My advice comes from where I'm at so take it for whatever it's worth.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 2:03 pm

wefunction wrote:
I do think that you'll be able to better suppress compulsive behaviors and silly walks (monty python reference) with practice. Yes, everyone is different. I have a number of compulsive behaviors, whereas a lot of people just have one or two things that they do. I'm big into trying to appear normal. Other aspies aren't that concerned with it. My advice comes from where I'm at so take it for whatever it's worth.

I used to be concerned with it, but at my age I'm completely f*cking sick of trying to be something I'm not just to be "acceptable" to NTs.

I like me - if this means I have to be single then so be it - if I have to change that much to get one then they aren't worth a damn in the first place...