Mental issues while being in a relationship

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 7:39 pm

Can someone love another despite the fact that the one he/she loves has a mental health issue?
I mean in a relationship sense.
Like dating or marriage.
Is it impossible to want to stay with that person for life?
I'm the one with a mental issue, but what if I'm never to a point where a person in a relationship can like me? Is it really a strong love if I love someone, but the other can't handle the mental issue I have?

I think not, if that person cares, they would stay regardless.

Do any of you have anything to say about loving someone with a mental issue, or the opposite, having a mental issue and being in love?
Or, if that relationship can work or how?

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2018, 7:48 pm

Frankly both my wife and I have mental issues. We've been together, if not always married, for years. It is never easy to deal with mental issues, but no matter how severe they may be it is always possible for love to find a way.

Also let me say that you having mental issues makes you no less deserving of love.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 7:49 pm

I wonder the very same...
Was dating a guy and things were going amazing until i opened up about some personal stuff and had a meltdown in front of him. He pretty much f****d off but in a way that made it seem like he was just doing it for my sake... which is nonsense as I just felt abandoned on a human level, not just relationship wise.

maybe I've just met the wrong people or maybe relationships simply are not based on love but mutual utility and a person may care for you but not want to be dragged down by your problems. Would you if that were the opposite? I think it's not fair to demand someone to take care of you but also the person should give you a chance to get to know you and embrace your good and bad. It's tricky.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 7:51 pm

Arevelion wrote:
Also let me say that you having mental issues makes you no less deserving of love.

:heart:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

05 Dec 2018, 7:51 pm

Me & my girlfriend both have a lot of mental issues & we are committed to each other. We've been living together over 6 years now. My mental issues caused me to screw up my 1st two relationships thou. I had BAD anxiety & OCD that caused me to worry about them alot & think things were going on that weren't. I became controlling, demanding & more needy as a result. Things aren't as bad in my current relationship because I'm on meds for anxiety & OCD. I still have some issues thou. I think what's important if you have mental issues within a realtionship, is that you try to address & work on them. A partner would be more understanding & accepting if he saw you trying. It may also help if you confide in him. In my experience a lot of mental issues are easier to deal with if you have a partner who tries to help you mange em. It can bring you both closer together.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 05 Dec 2018, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 7:52 pm

caThar4G wrote:
I think not, if that person cares, they would stay regardless.

I think if its hard on them they would take their space to stay well but also be there for you. if they disappear entirely then they just never cared.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 8:07 pm

My NT lover loves me and I'm madder than a box of frogs.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 8:11 pm

Piobaire wrote:
My NT lover loves me and I'm madder than a box of frogs.

:jester: :mrgreen:

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 8:23 pm

I've had plenty of mental issues and they haven't run to the hills yet...

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 8:59 pm

I'm an autistic who is particularly unsympathetic to other people's meltdowns, especially if they are destructive of property or involve noise. Over time, I've come to the point where if a partner's behavior is more about their mental issues and less about making things good for me, I'm not too interested.

I was dating a man who I now believe was autistic as f**k. I was getting ready to go to the hospital for surgery, and he got upset with me and started yelling. One of his gripes was that I hadn't told him what kind of surgery I was having. In any case, that was the beginning of a long platonic friendship and the end of a romantic one. When I am going in for surgery is NOT a time for me to be yelled at! And if he would do that once, he would do it again, I was sure.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 9:54 pm

I think that it would depend upon how the mental issues causes them to behave. My son has Borderline Personality Disorder, anxiety and I suspect ASD. He could get quite violent. One occasion he ripped the kitchen cupboards off the wall. I could not, and would not, live with someone like that. Now, twenty years later he is married to a wonderful woman. He still has difficulties, but more managed. I would not put up with being yelled at either.

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 1:38 am

BeaArthur wrote:
I'm an autistic who is particularly unsympathetic to other people's meltdowns, especially if they are destructive of property or involve noise. Over time, I've come to the point where if a partner's behavior is more about their mental issues and less about making things good for me, I'm not too interested.

I was dating a man who I now believe was autistic as f**k. I was getting ready to go to the hospital for surgery, and he got upset with me and started yelling. One of his gripes was that I hadn't told him what kind of surgery I was having. In any case, that was the beginning of a long platonic friendship and the end of a romantic one. When I am going in for surgery is NOT a time for me to be yelled at! And if he would do that once, he would do it again, I was sure.

I could see how that could be an issue.

puzzledoll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2018, 3:23 am

I've been married 18 years and both of us have our own mental issues. I was in an 8 year relationship with someone who also had mental issues. What it comes down to is if the issues clash and if you are both capable of adapting to and supporting one another. This is akin to asking if it is possible to have a relationship with someone in a wheelchair. Of course it is possible as long as everyone is on the same page and willing to be understanding of the difficulties that might arise and willing to work through them when they do.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 4:15 am

There are so many variables that I would say anything is possible. It's usually me that has the issues, but I once had a two year relationship with someone had had severe bouts of depression. What really killed it for me was her total inability to talk about it. I also think she had previously been in a physically abusive relationship and again would not talk about it. Now I may admit that my own spectacular social skills are not the best for getting people to open up... but whatever happened we couldn't meet halfway, so that was that.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame