The more I read about Female Psychology.......

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

gtw1983
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Aug 2011, 11:14 am

The more I realize why some male Aspies find relationships so difficult if not darn near impossible.
Women seem to put a lot more weight into emotions and the way they relate to their lives than men.
Thats why men so often think women are crazy or way overacting,and women sometimes describe men as shallow and uncaring.
Aspies in general seem to have trouble figuring out how to relate to other peoples emotions and social cues.If even NT men find it irritating,I can easily see why so many Aspie guys feel discouraged.

And Women this is not a bash on you at all.As I said before I'm sure that we men equally frustrate you in our own peculiarities ;)

MountZion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2011, 11:27 am

gtw1983 wrote:
The more I realize why some male Aspies find relationships so difficult if not darn near impossible.
Women seem to put a lot more weight into emotions and the way they relate to their lives than men.
Thats why men so often think women are crazy or way overacting,and women sometimes describe men as shallow and uncaring.
Aspies in general seem to have trouble figuring out how to relate to other peoples emotions and social cues.If even NT men find it irritating,I can easily see why so many Aspie guys feel discouraged.

And Women this is not a bash on you at all.As I said before I'm sure that we men equally frustrate you in our own peculiarities ;)

I think that Aspie men have to educate themselves about their own emotional cycles aswell. It will help you to become more in tune with a woman's emotions in my opinion, as well as your own. Then learning about female psychology will be even more fruitful, and less like looking at some impossible puzzle. Women are complex, but not that complicated :wink:

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 12:16 pm

*shrug* What can I say? My mind is an enigma. :lol:

Honestly, my most recent ex was more emotional than I. I don't know if this is an effect from having depressive bipolar or not. Some men are emotionally sensitive too, just like some women may be less emotional. I am an emotional person so I guess I don't disprove the stereotype. :lol:

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 12:30 pm

as a fairly unemotional woman, I find most women weird and mildly irritating because of that whole emo business. I just don't get all the drama :shrug:

my female friends always go out of their way to explain their POV to me but I always end up siding with the guys anyway :lol:

oh man, I'm so glad I'm not a man or a lesbian.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 1:17 pm

I'm supremely emotional but also supremely logical. I feel in between gender stereotypes communication-wise for this reason. The extremes cancel each other out.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 1:57 pm

MountZion wrote:
I think that Aspie men have to educate themselves ...

An equal amount of self-education would be appropriate for women, as well.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 2:04 pm

Actually, as a dude, I'm pretty emotional. I tear up in movies all the time, even stupid movies will have a moment that catches in my throat (and not speaking of the retching either).

It's rather funny growing up I used to get 'hazed' by my father (and sometimes my brother) for over-reacting, being 'hysterical', etc, all of the 'put you in your place' sort of words typically used against women.

But it is a strange paradox for me, as I can really shut down at times too as the wall goes up.

So yeah...not so big on the generalizations about women and men these days.

orchidee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Aug 2011, 3:05 pm

gtw1983 wrote:

This might be true. I'm a woman (and a more emotional than average woman at that) in a relationship with a man with AS. We've had issues with this in the past.

He told me in the past that it was immature when I cried, but I can't control when I cry. For the most part I can't control when I get sad. I'm trying to learn to handle my emotions better, but sometimes it feels like a roller coaster.

I'm glad he doesn't feel it's immature or childish when I cry now. It's just a way of expressing emotions to me, like laughter.

However, I agree that some men are more emotional than some women. It depends on the person.

I take no offense to this, and I agree with a lot of it.

I also agree with Fnord that both people in relationships need to educate themselves, not only one partner.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 3:07 pm

AsteroidNap wrote:
Actually, as a dude, I'm pretty emotional. I tear up in movies all the time, even stupid movies will have a moment that catches in my throat (and not speaking of the retching either).

It's rather funny growing up I used to get 'hazed' by my father (and sometimes my brother) for over-reacting, being 'hysterical', etc, all of the 'put you in your place' sort of words typically used against women.

But it is a strange paradox for me, as I can really shut down at times too as the wall goes up.

^^^very cool to hear that side of it. thanks for sharing your experiences.

for myself, in some ways i'm very emotional, and in other ways i am very rational and logical. it depends. i overreact at small things, like i tend to get very very worried about people (their health, their depression, etc). also i cry easily. it's my own personal joke than when i watch certain television dramas i will get teary-eyed exactly one time per episode, and i have completely stopped watching the news as i get too sad. but my emotions are explainable and understandable, it's just a matter of a person getting to know my triggers.

on the other hand, in an emergency i am level-headed and taking charge. and in my high-stress job i stay very calm and can see past my client's emotions in order to make fair and balanced decisions.

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 3:47 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
AsteroidNap wrote:

^^^very cool to hear that side of it. thanks for sharing your experiences.

for myself, in some ways i'm very emotional, and in other ways i am very rational and logical. it depends. i overreact at small things, like i tend to get very very worried about people (their health, their depression, etc). also i cry easily. it's my own personal joke than when i watch certain television dramas i will get teary-eyed exactly one time per episode, and i have completely stopped watching the news as i get too sad. but my emotions are explainable and understandable, it's just a matter of a person getting to know my triggers.

on the other hand, in an emergency i am level-headed and taking charge. and in my high-stress job i stay very calm and can see past my client's emotions in order to make fair and balanced decisions.

Yeah...the news. Cannot watch either. Sometimes I describe it as having an open nerve to the world. When 9/11 attacks happened in the U.S., I was literally up for three days straight, glued to the t.v. news casts. Same happened again when Bush attacked Iraq. You couldn't pry me away. Which is why the whole "Aspies lack empathy" shpeel is bollocks to me.

Emergencies, if I have any time to think, is one trigger that causes me to shut down. I'm glad that you're able to cope! I'm learning to deal though, but it's a challenge.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 4:52 pm

.... the more I like my dog.

No, wait, nevermind. I like my wife and daughter even better :D

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 4:56 pm

anna-banana wrote:
as a fairly unemotional woman, I find most women weird and mildly irritating because of that whole emo business. I just don't get all the drama :shrug:

my female friends always go out of their way to explain their POV to me but I always end up siding with the guys anyway :lol:

oh man, I'm so glad I'm not a man or a lesbian.

See? So you should understand why guys have it harder. Image

Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 5:03 pm

The more I think this whole relation thing is just stupid. But I still want a relation :(