Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 9:08 pm

Today an older gentleman told me it was hard to believe someone as pretty as me couldn't find someone that wanted to date me. I found his choice of words interesting, and possibly revealing.

What do I mean? Well, the implication seemed to be that I should be open to anyone that expressed interest in me. I have to wonder if men get this as well, or is this something only women are expected to do?

Also, I have to wonder what the correct way to respond to this is. Should I feel obligated to explain myself? Is pulling apart his choice of wording appropriate, or is a vague "It's complicated" the way to go?

mv
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 9:47 pm

I do believe that his statement was code for, "I'd like to get into your pants, should you be amenable."

If this was not the case, I apologize, but I've found that to be true in the past. All kinds of couched, pervy language.

To take him at his most innocent, yes, that's a paradigm that women were to meant to aspire to. Trot out the wares, see what bites. Even when you read about social revolution in the 60s, the women at the forefront will now say, "Yeah, but we were still expected to fold our lives around what the *men* were doing."

It's a social dynamic that's very slooooooooooooowly dying.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 9:58 pm

I'm quite sure it was innocent, though he did also use the words "smokin', hot, and sexy". :?

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 10:00 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Today an older gentleman told me it was hard to believe someone as pretty as me couldn't find someone that wanted to date me. I found his choice of words interesting, and possibly revealing.

What do I mean? Well, the implication seemed to be that I should be open to anyone that expressed interest in me. I have to wonder if men get this as well, or is this something only women are expected to do?

Also, I have to wonder what the correct way to respond to this is. Should I feel obligated to explain myself? Is pulling apart his choice of wording appropriate, or is a vague "It's complicated" the way to go?

I have this happen to me as well problem is I have issues so I just cant go out with just any girl or guy.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 10:02 pm

Joker, I've only noticed men getting the reverse "It's hard to believe you can't find a nice girl!"

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 10:04 pm

One more thing about the interaction... there was particular emphasis on my appearance when he talked about me not having someone. Usually, when I hear of something like this happening to men the emphasis is on his intelligence, monetary status, and things he's acquired.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 10:04 pm

I don't think you have to explain yourself or even go with "it's complicated". If this is an acquaintance, then he's just using social lubricant language. Harmless, complimentary stuff meant to make you feel better about yourself, taking the focus off of him. If you don't want to engage, you can make a joke or a polite rebuffal ("Oh, aren't you *so* kind!" is one of my standards, but I'm older than you). I do that not out of malice or peevishness but because I cannot gauge their intentions so I deflect it to the most innocent of interpretations with my response.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 10:06 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
One more thing about the interaction... there was particular emphasis on my appearance when he talked about me not having someone. Usually, when I hear of something like this happening to men the emphasis is on his intelligence, monetary status, and things he's acquired.

Yeah, see, this is what makes me think it's a generational gender role script he's reading from. This could be the limited, socially-acceptable way he was taught to interact with unattached women.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Joker, I've only noticed men getting the reverse "It's hard to believe you can't find a nice girl!"

I have people tell me that all the time I just have a lot of baggage I dont want the girl im dating to have to deal with my issues im a guy with girl tendencies so its like their dating a girl and not a guy at times.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

mv wrote:
I don't think you have to explain yourself or even go with "it's complicated". If this is an acquaintance, then he's just using social lubricant language. Harmless, complimentary stuff meant to make you feel better about yourself, taking the focus off of him. If you don't want to engage, you can make a joke or a polite rebuffal ("Oh, aren't you *so* kind!" is one of my standards, but I'm older than you). I do that not out of malice or peevishness but because I cannot gauge their intentions so I deflect it to the most innocent of interpretations with my response.

He's someone I just met today.

Guybrush_Threepwood
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 10:17 pm

You could of simply stated, if it is the case, that the problem is not in finding -somebody- that wants to date you, but finding somebody -you- would like to date where the feeling is mutual.

It covers the bases of;

1. Deflecting what is seen as an unreasonable expectation of yourself and women in general.

2. Politely letting him know, should he be fishing for an opportunity, that you are not interested.

I think that in most cases people's intentions and motives are not singular. He -might- be an old dude that wouldn't mind getting it on with you, but he could at the same time be complimenting you. Accept compliment, deny access to goodies, steer future conversations in safe direction...protocol established ;)

You could also tell him how embarrassingly and blindingly white your butt is and enjoy observing his reaction :D I like doing things like this...inappropriate can be fun sometimes...

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 11:22 pm

Guybrush_Threepwood wrote:
You could of simply stated, if it is the case, that the problem is not in finding -somebody- that wants to date you, but finding somebody -you- would like to date where the feeling is mutual.

It covers the bases of;

1. Deflecting what is seen as an unreasonable expectation of yourself and women in general.

2. Politely letting him know, should he be fishing for an opportunity, that you are not interested.

I think that in most cases people's intentions and motives are not singular. He -might- be an old dude that wouldn't mind getting it on with you, but he could at the same time be complimenting you. Accept compliment, deny access to goodies, steer future conversations in safe direction...protocol established ;)

Interesting approach.

Quote:
You could also tell him how embarrassingly and blindingly white your butt is and enjoy observing his reaction :D I like doing things like this...inappropriate can be fun sometimes...

:lol: Definitely.

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 7:33 am

i get that from women i'm not intrested in, it's like a defence mecinizum(SP) in my case........and i don't have money or any of the other
i find the less i say the better

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 10:23 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I'm quite sure it was innocent, though he did also use the words "smokin', hot, and sexy". :?

Sounds like your typical dirty old man. Why bother to analyze further. At least you know where you stand with these instead of some that say nothing but end up stalking you.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 4:42 pm

Yeah, turns out he was saying he wanted in my pants. :lol: Oh well. I'm not interested.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 4:57 pm

curlyfry wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

Sounds like your typical dirty old man. Why bother to analyze further. At least you know where you stand with these instead of some that say nothing but end up stalking you.

Man, I can't wait 'til I get to be a dirty old man. It's gonna be the best!

Yeah, that's what it sounds like to me too. But at least the way he went about it was harmless enough.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View