Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Penandinkmarie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jan 2012, 9:06 am

My boyfriend is leaving for 6 months on a job to this small city in Spain, and I'll be working too, but back home, and we're sort of a new thing.....4 months. So it hasn't even been that long! I'm going to miss him so much. I've spent almost all my time with him these 4 months and he's been like the center of my world.....going out together here and there, and he has exposed me to so much, and now he's leaving and I'm scared I'm going to break down.....how do I deal with this?? I've never done a long distance before but I know this one is worth it. I just want to know other people's experiences with it and what you did to get through it.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 9:41 am

Get a new phone plan if necessary so you don't end up spending a fortune!

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 10:13 am

I say go ahead and breakdown and get it out. I had to leave my BF for college and we were together for about 6 months. We ended up just holding each other the night before and just letting it all go. Then I was able to get on the plane without making a complete show of it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

07 Jan 2012, 12:41 pm

Grisha wrote:
Get a new phone plan if necessary so you don't end up spending a fortune!

Both relationships I had were long-distance. Instant messaging when your both free or text messaging throughout the day when one of you is kind of busy can help you feel a little closer

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 1:47 pm

Gremmie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 5:51 pm

I'm in a long distance relationship at the moment. The important thing that you have to remember is that it's only 6 months. You have an end date which gives you something solid to hold on to. Will it be possible to visit at all while he's gone? That's a good way of breaking up the time.

When my boyfriend left I spent the first few weeks feeling like there was a large rock in my chest. The most important thing for me was to keep distracting myself. I might have felt awful before going out, and I might have felt awful the moment I got home, but forcing myself to say yes to every social event meant that at least some of the time I didn't think about the fact that it would probably be years before I could live near him again.

The other thing I can advise is to talk to other people in the same situation. I knew a guy who went long distance about a month before I did, and being able to talk to him about how rubbish we both felt was really helpful.

Good luck. You can get through it.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 6:17 pm

Make sure you communicate and stay in touch as much as you can, so you stay on the same page with each other's experiences and feelings. Try to stay in sync with each other that way. A lot can happen in 6 months, or even a shorter time apart from someone. The little things we share with people when we see them every day bring a feeling of closeness as much as the bigger experiences. But when people are apart, sometimes they forget to talk about those things. You end up talking about how much you miss each other and what you're going to do when you see each other again. But maybe you forget to talk about the little things that happened in your day because those don't seem so important. Then you hang up the phone and realize you don't actually know what their day was like. Try to share those things, it will keep you closer.