Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Dedalus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jan 2012, 2:32 pm

I'm in a bit of an unhappy relationship at the moment. We've been going out for two years - though we're currently halfway through a month's 'break'.

It's hard for me to distinguish whether I'm unhappy because of the relationship or other things. This is the main problem.
I think I am, but it seems too painful to just leave (we also live together) - I'm afraid, as an aspie, that I won't find anyone else for a long time. I also want her to be okay, as she's a bit depressed at the minute. If I do decide to leave, though, maybe it'd be for the best.

My self-esteem has just been ground to pieces over the course of it. We're just very different, and I don't think either of us is to blame.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

pavel_filonov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2012, 3:46 pm

I feel like I shouldn't say too much because you've not explained why it is that you're unhappy? but being worried you might not find another relationship is a terrible reason to stay if you aren't getting on with your current girlfriend. Being in an unhappy relationship won't help with her depression either.

If you think you need to break up, you can't afford to think too hard about how difficult its going to be - you need to just get on and do it. Because you will almost certainly go through a hard time, but sometimes life is like that :( sorry.

Sometimes its hard to pick apart which relationship difficulties can be overcome with effort, and which are caused by fundamental personality differences - maybe a friend can help you work it out?

The-Raven
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 3:50 pm

its better to be a bit harsh and break someones heart then to stay with them when you dont really want to.

everyone deserves to have someone who wants to be with them 100%, who loves them and values them, its not fair on your partner to stay if you dont really want to, its more cruel in the long term to stay.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2012, 4:08 pm

If your main reason for staying with someone is that you're worried you won't find someone else, you should probably leave.

Dedalus

22 Jan 2012, 6:41 pm

Thanks guys. It's a difficult situation, but I guess I'll have to face up to it.

P.S. Sorry about the vagueness. I felt sort of uncomfortable writing about it in detail and only realised that about halfway through. I think I just needed to get some sort of confirmation really.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 3:48 pm

Sometimes leaving isn't the worst thing in the world. I was about to start a "break" with a significant other and it just ended up being a permanent separation.