Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 9:07 pm

Hello,
How do you find people that can accept you eccentric views? For instance, I am anarchist leaning, Quaker leaning, like programming, and am an aspie. I guess how do you do about find someone eccentric as yourself?

Iloveshoujoai
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 May 2012, 9:28 pm

If I think someone can handle my views I just tell them and wait for a reaction. Sometimes the other person looks at me like I'm insane and some people just act like I've just told them the most casual thing in the world. most of my beliefs really aren't strange at all among philosophers and scientists. I once tried arguing against free will with someone who has never heard of someone who holds that belief. By the end of the argument he told me he was seriously convinced I was an incarnation of the devil. It was pretty funny and we still got along afterwards. I'm not sure if I would have that sort of discussion with a date, but you can often tell how open minded someone is if you've known them even a short while.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 9:55 pm

I don't know. I just kind of feel awkward with my views, especially in the small town I live in. It just seems like if I were to ell my date any of those things, I would be royally misconstrued. Not per se on programming, but on the other things. I am not afraid of so much what they say, but actually finding them (or lack of).

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 10:25 pm

my cousin is a crazy conspiracist who wants to build his own farm because he thinks a world government organization is poisoning his food. he's hardcore libertarian and thinks 9/11 is a conspiracy and that we should all be preparing for a global depression.

he found a woman who may not agree with all of those things, but agrees with most of them, especially the parts about our food being genetically modified and being unhealthy. they married in one month of meeting. they have a kid now and they are happy.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 7:51 am

I don't really think it's about finding someone as eccentric as yourself as much as it's just about finding someone open-minded enough to accept your eccentricities. Actually, I don't think I could make a relationship work with someone exactly like me, even if I could find him. I'd probably wind up wanting to kill him.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 2:04 pm

I guess you are right. I just see examples of rather eccentric people ((not per se) Adam Smith, Ayn Rand, Peter Thiel, etc.) and where they are now (read:DEAD with the exception of the last one) . And I guess it kind of discourages me since it seems like everybody is cookie cutter (I know not all of them are) I just don't want to get the look when I go to a rally or don't want to go with the "flow". And one of the main things I personally like in a person is being able to learn from them (so as far as just throwing picking by flipping a coin <settling on anyone> would be out of the question) and kind of have a synergy of ideals. Not perfectly , but enough. And I guess the followup question would be: where do you find like minded people (both people in general and women) in a town of 15,000 ? (and yes I have checked into meetup.com, starting a hackerspace, starting a chapter of a political party, and volunteering <as far as reaching out>) To me it just seems like everyone in my town wants to drink and party, or just sit at their place. BTW it is in Northern Michigan. Idk, it just seems like this is Cletus country most of the time.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 2:16 pm

minervx wrote:
he's hardcore libertarian and thinks 9/11 is a conspiracy and that we should all be preparing for a global depression.

Yes, he sounds like a loon. ;)

I'm a libertarian, but not dogmatic about it.

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 2:18 pm

I'm keeping an open mind about 9/11.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 2:58 pm

It's not out of the question for people that don't share your views to fall in love with you. And it usually happens when you share a couple of common interests as mutual ground, and both have a relatively open mind and open ears.