I think I may have found the golden answer

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 4:13 pm

This is the story of how rock can save aspies from obscurity:) Become musicians in a band, seriously.... Prefferably a guitarist or a basist. If you get signed to some local shows, you'll automatically have status, you'll be part of the center of attention. This is what Ozzy Ozborn did (Ozzy is aspie:)). I'm learning to play the guitar. I can already play alittle bit of bass, but I get bored too easily with bass though. A guitar is a more versatile alternative. And I have great fingers for playing guitar or bass from what I'm told... This platform could also be a springboard to get ideas out. It's art, a great form of expression.

squier
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 4:21 pm

snake321 wrote:
This is the story of how rock can save aspies from obscurity:) Become musicians in a band, seriously.... Prefferably a guitarist or a basist. If you get signed to some local shows, you'll automatically have status, you'll be part of the center of attention. This is what Ozzy Ozborn did (Ozzy is aspie:)). I'm learning to play the guitar. I can already play alittle bit of bass, but I get bored too easily with bass though. A guitar is a more versatile alternative. And I have great fingers for playing guitar or bass from what I'm told... This platform could also be a springboard to get ideas out. It's art, a great form of expression.

ozzy!? an aspie!... you learn something new every day! just because ozzy found the answer in music, that doesn't mean everyone will. (no offense)

my book:
http://www.lulu.com/content/710903

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 4:21 pm

Took it up 3 months ago, dude, and used Ozzy as my personal example (he's my fav)

squier
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 4:24 pm

now we just need to find a way to diagnose billi jo armstrong with aspie syndrome... *cue evil laughter*

my book:
http://www.lulu.com/content/710903

Seigneur
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2006, 6:01 pm

It's dyslexia and ADHD, not Aspergers, according to Wikipedia, but of course dyslexics and ADHD have their own agenda to push in claiming celebrities as their own.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 6:38 pm

Yeah, I don't think Ozzy has AS.

I play bass and tried to be in a band a few times, but had creative differences.

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2006, 7:34 pm

I've heard this many times - that if one plays a musical instrument, one has higher chances of social life in general.

I play the drums and I can say this isn't terribly true. Even if you play the instrument, I've observed you can't make it onto the scene in high school unless you know the right people and listen to the right music. It is not a golden ticket into the neurotypical world.

Practicall every band that came out of my previous high school was influenced by Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. How is that for monotony.

(by the way, if you're looking at playing an instrument for the exclusive purpose of gaining social influence, I would highly suggest the bass guitar or the drums. I have found that there was a glut of guitarists and a lack of bassists in my previous high school.)

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 10:35 pm

Bassists seem to be more likely to get chicks for the long run but guitarists get more 1ups. Chicks dig guitars. Vocalists would also be good because of the status and being the "lead guy" by popular perception. Drummers are respected to a large degree, but theyr the least status-carrying position in the band.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2006, 11:06 pm

I don't know man, there's full-out rockstars and movie stars that can't get laid - wanna know why? They aren't aspies but they're NTs wired similarly who don't know how to get sloppy drunk, get all over the opposit sex - maybe its not their thing but still, there's lots of them out there. If you could completely throw aside your aspiness as well conveniently with enough liquor or drugs thats one thing but you also have a great chance of picking some real winner skanks at the same time who might blow all your paychecks on coke.

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 4:29 am

aleclair wrote:
(by the way, if you're looking at playing an instrument for the exclusive purpose of gaining social influence, I would highly suggest the bass guitar or the drums. I have found that there was a glut of guitarists and a lack of bassists in my previous high school.)

Amen.
Also, I've found that once you've got a solid rhythm section going, the rest often works itself out.

blackdove
Toucan
Toucan

20 Nov 2006, 4:56 am

ugh.

don't quit yer day job

Last edited by blackdove on 20 Nov 2006, 5:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

hellznrg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 5:30 am

i'm going to learn to play the piano for starters... then drums

i love drums

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 8:11 am

Girls love guys in bands.

(not lame bands though)

SpectreWithin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Nov 2006, 9:00 am

I think joining a band is a great idea if you are genuinely interested in the music. If it is only an effort to gain status and the music is secondary, people might eventually pick up on that and then any status gained would be hollow. Don't worry about which instrument attracts the most chicks - play the one you enjoy the most and they will be attracted to your enthusiasm.

Another good thing about joining a band is that its a great way to interact non-verbally with people (your fellow band-mates and the audience). I was in a band and some musical collaborations, jam sessions, etc years ago in college and I felt like I was communicating with these people on a level I could never achieve through using words. It really is an amazing feeling when you find the right people to play with. I've never felt that level of connection with anyone since then, one of my bandmates / collaborators was the best friend I've ever known.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 2:25 pm

Being in a band may well help you pull a few ladies.

Osbourne can't possibly have Asperger's.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 2:29 pm

Another thought, being in a band takes a lot of motivation and real good creative chemistry usually between you and the other band members. I mean you could always do a cover band or just learn to play whats out there - I guess that wouldn't be as tough, I guess it just depends on what kinds of music your into and what you really want to do. For me I think my tastes have been a little too out of the way to get enough like-minded people IRL, maybe that was part of my own motivational problems with keeping a band going in the past but who's to say.