Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 7:54 am

Bye everyone, I think I'm going to go back to reality (i.e. somewhere far, far away from here called real life).

Last edited by smudge on 12 Jul 2012, 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 8:03 am

smudge wrote:
It's patronising and it makes out that we're somehow to be less respected for it - for what men say we want just because of their own bitterness from being rejected.

This is an insult in itself. It's not what men say women want. It's what research says women want - things they want that usually contradict their theoretical opinion. It's unfortunate, but it's research. It has consistently shown that, in spite of everything people want theoretically, women generally want status and dominance and men generally want a physically-attractive woman. Above everything else.

smudge wrote:
Who else is fed up with this and thinks something should be done about it? Because all I see, are the same arguments going around and around because of a few bullies who think it's fun to belittle others who have already had a sh1t time in life.

Yeah. Stop belittling me. :)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 8:17 am

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
smudge wrote:
It's patronising and it makes out that we're somehow to be less respected for it - for what men say we want just because of their own bitterness from being rejected.

This is an insult in itself. It's not what men say women want. It's what research says women want - things they want that usually contradict their theoretical opinion. It's unfortunate, but it's research. It has consistently shown that, in spite of everything people want theoretically, women generally want status and dominance and men generally want a physically-attractive woman. Above everything else.

smudge wrote:
Who else is fed up with this and thinks something should be done about it? Because all I see, are the same arguments going around and around because of a few bullies who think it's fun to belittle others who have already had a sh1t time in life.

Yeah. Stop belittling me. :)

Well unless you are in fact one of these 'bullies' why would you feel belittled by this?

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 8:21 am

The OP sounds like she just started using the internet.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 8:26 am

smudge, I said this in the "What Men Want" thread, and I'm reposting it here:

mv wrote:
...I'm with the people who say that this will vary greatly from man to man. In my vast experience (okay, but probably more vast than many people here), *everyone*, man or woman, basically wants to feel some level of unconditional support in life. What form that support takes is highly individual, whether it be sex on demand, material comfort, emotional comfort, etc.

I think this is a great idea for a thread. I'm sorry you're not getting more support for it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 8:28 am

Venger wrote:

And what might your point be.......I would hope that it's as more experianced internet users we should help newbies to learn the ways of the internet and how to keep from getting too sucked in and worked up about things. That is you're point correct? 8)

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 8:35 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Venger wrote:

And what might your point be.......I would hope that it's as more experianced internet users we should help newbies to learn the ways of the internet and how to keep from getting too sucked in and worked up about things. That is you're point correct? 8)

I meant it's funny she acts surprised since internet forums are full of rude people arguing with each other. She's been on these particular forums longer than most by the way.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 8:43 am

What people need - more cowbell.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 8:46 am

Venger wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Venger wrote:

I meant it's funny she acts surprised since internet forums are full of rude people arguing with each other. She's been on these particular forums longer than most by the way.

It seemed to me more like being fed up rather than surprise....and I knew that poster was not new, but my counter point would not have worked if I did not word it that way. I don't see why being fed up with people being rude to each other or arguing is funny.

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 8:53 am

smudge wrote:
I feel like I don't want to contribute to the threads on this board in case another person attacks me.....
When at least one of the people that have attacked you may or may not happen to be a complete douche, you needn't let it put you off posting here. You've brought some good stuff to the table over the last year or so, so don't stop now :)

As for this topic, MV put it perfectly. An example i'll give is a woman that is looking to be seen with a man with a flash car and property. he doesn't have to be rich tho, he could be good looking, stylish, important, or super confident. it's the same as a flash man looking to be seen with a flash woman. she doesn't have to be conventionally attractive, she could be rich, stylish, super confident, or important. I understand that people on here are trying to explain that the stereotypes (women-materials, men-appearance) are well documented but it doesn't matter how things are weighted because it equates to the same thing. And that's just the shallow part of the population taken care of...

Last edited by bucephalus on 12 Jul 2012, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 8:56 am

bucephalus wrote:
smudge wrote:
I feel like I don't want to contribute to the threads on this board in case another person attacks me.....
When at least one of the people that have attacked you may or may not happen to be a complete douche, you needn't let it put you off posting here. You've brought some good stuff to the table over the last year or so, so don't stop now :)

:wtg:

mv
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 9:04 am

JanuaryMan wrote:
What people need - more cowbell.

:lmao: And good jokes like this, to lighten up the mood.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 9:38 am

Venger wrote:

I have to kinda agree. WP even in its two warzones is very tame. If its a persons only internet forum they may be very surprised on different ones.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 9:40 am

bucephalus wrote:
I understand that people on here are trying to explain that the stereotypes (women-materials, men-appearance) are well documented but it doesn't matter how things are weighted because it equates to the same thing. And that's just the shallow part of the population taken care of...

No. They're actually members of the general population. And here's how it works. Generally, women weigh status above anything and men weigh physical attraction over anything - despite what both groups indicate they desire in theory. In one set of research, people were asked to describe several aspects of their ideal partner. They did - and they usually put aside everything on their list for status and looks, respectively.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well unless you are in fact one of these 'bullies' why would you feel belittled by this?

Because research - practical experiments - are often dismissed here, especially by women, in favour of feel-good stories about how we're all unique little snowflakes with our own preferences. We're not unique - we are all driven in some way by our most basic urges. And according to experiments carried out so far, those basic urges usually override or replace every theoretical desire in almost any human being in an almost-complete way.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 9:52 am

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
bucephalus wrote:
I understand that people on here are trying to explain that the stereotypes (women-materials, men-appearance) are well documented but it doesn't matter how things are weighted because it equates to the same thing. And that's just the shallow part of the population taken care of...

No. They're actually members of the general population. And here's how it works. Generally, women weigh status above anything and men weigh physical attraction over anything - despite what both groups indicate they desire in theory. In one set of research, people were asked to describe several aspects of their ideal partner. They did - and they usually put aside everything on their list for status and looks, respectively.

Sweetleaf wrote:

Because research - practical experiments - are often dismissed here, especially by women, in favour of feel-good stories about how we're all unique little snowflakes with our own preferences. We're not unique - we are all driven in some way by our most basic urges. And according to experiments carried out so far, those basic urges usually override or replace every theoretical desire in almost any human being in an almost-complete way.

Well the thing is neither extreme is correct.....sure females have flaws, and maybe many are driven by rather shallow things, but to generalize and say all females care about is status and that is the main driving force of all womens behavior is ridiculous. I mean I am female and well quite honestly I don't care about any of those things this 'research' claims I should care about....and I am sure there are studies that point out just as many flaws in males and attribute it to 'all' males as well. But there is no 'better' gender....there are no universal flaws every person of a specific gender has.

Basically from what I see here what exactly the basic urges are can certainly be debated.

aSKperger
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jul 2012, 10:00 am

HisDivineMajesty - amen to that my boy 8)

Sweetleaf - who said one single word about women beying driven by shallow things? About better gender? This is called projection. Study it, it helps a lot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection