Raven
Raven

22 Jul 2012, 12:56 am

What does "I love you" mean (to you)?

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 3:55 am

I'm not quite sure what the question is. If I say 'I love you' it's because it means I love that person. I would only say it to my partner, a very good friend, my family, God or a pet. Is that what you were asking?

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 5:18 am

SilkySifaka wrote:
I'm not quite sure what the question is. If I say 'I love you' it's because it means I love that person. I would only say it to my partner, a very good friend, my family, God or a pet. Is that what you were asking?

I think they may be asking for our subjective meaning of 'love'. Whenever I'm asked this question I'm always reminded of a poem by Neil Gaiman.

Quote:
I don't think that I've been in love as such,
Although I liked a few folk pretty well.
Love must be vaster than my smiles or touch,
For brave men died and empires rose and fell
For love: girls followed boys to foreign lands
And men have followed women into Hell.

In plays and poems someone understands
There's something makes us more than blood and bone
And more than biological demands...
For me, love's like the wind, unseen, unknown.
I see the trees are bending where it's been,
I know that it leaves wreckage where it's blown.
I really don't know what "I love you" means.
I think it means "Don't leave me here alone.

It's a poem I enjoy very much, but it doesn't really describe my subjective definition of love. There are of course different types of love, but there's a common theme regardless of the type of love, for me. For me love is caring about someone very, very deeply, and being willing to do whatever they need, regardless of the cost to yourself.

But that's just me.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 6:09 am

LoveHim wrote:
What does "I love you" mean (to you)?

Several interpretations, really.

1. Expression of romantic interest;
2. Expression of friendly affection towards family members;
3. Expression of gratitude - "you got me a ticket to Hawaii? I love you, bro!"

There might be more.

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 6:38 am

SilkySifaka wrote:

Yes, this is what it also means to me, but I never say it to my family and I don't believe in a God. And as below, I usually say "I love you" to someone I love when I just want to stay with them forever and never leave their side.

I haven't said "I love you" in 2 years though, to a human that is. I always say it to my dog, she is my best and only friend.

GreenShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2012, 7:02 am

When I was younger (and much more stupid) "I love you" mean:
- I can't live without you
- I will do only good things to you
- I will never double-cross you

Now, I grew up and gathered experience, I know that "I love you" mean:
- I set a trap on you
- I wish to exploit you
- I will backstab you when only I'd like to do it
- I'll make a lot of crappy deeds to you, and I will tell that's only your fault

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 8:14 am

nothing -never said it and never had it said to me.

minotaurheadcheese
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jul 2012, 10:28 am

Insofar as romantic love goes, to me it means having an attraction to someone that is anchored in an abiding respect and affection for their character. It has to be deeper than an infatuation, and tested by some amount time, and therefore unlikely to fade unless something changes (or is revealed) about one of us. To me, it also has to be mutual to really count. I have no idea if this is a definition anyone else shares; I've always found the concept hard to define or understand, so those are just the ideas I have based on my own thoughts and experiences.

"And there are days when I would be away . . . Oh, wherever men of my sort used to go, long ago. Wandering on paths that other men have not seen. Behind the sky. On the other side of the rain." -Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 10:44 am

minotaurheadcheese wrote:
Insofar as romantic love goes, to me it means having an attraction to someone that is anchored in an abiding respect and affection for their character. It has to be deeper than an infatuation, and tested by some amount time, and therefore unlikely to fade unless something changes (or is revealed) about one of us. To me, it also has to be mutual to really count. I have no idea if this is a definition anyone else shares; I've always found the concept hard to define or understand, so those are just the ideas I have based on my own thoughts and experiences.

I think that's a very accurate definition, and one I definitely relate to.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 11:01 am

minotaurheadcheese wrote:

The only thing that would differ about mine from this definition would be that the love in its truest form would even have the ability to withstand most changes (unless we're talking really drastic, like a dark criminal background or something).

Then I have done my job

LoveHim
Raven
Raven

22 Jul 2012, 11:05 am

@greenshadow:

- I set a trap on you
- I wish to exploit you
- I'll make a lot of crappy deeds to you, and I will tell that's only your fault[/quote]

are you serious or being sarcastic?? that is so harsh/sad.

LoveHim
Raven
Raven

22 Jul 2012, 11:07 am

Apologies for not being more specific. In terms of romantic/sexual relationships or deep friendship that has not become sexual/romantic yet....what does I LOVE YOU mean when you hear it from your friend/partner and what would your reply of I LOVE YOU (or I LOVE YOU, TOO) really mean specifically? Thanks.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 11:15 am

LoveHim wrote:
Apologies for not being more specific. In terms of romantic/sexual relationships or deep friendship that has not become sexual/romantic yet....what does I LOVE YOU mean when you hear it from your friend/partner and what would your reply of I LOVE YOU (or I LOVE YOU, TOO) really mean specifically? Thanks.

I think it primarily means:

1) I really care about you!
2) I want to be close to you!

There's a lot more to it, in my opinion, but most of it I either haven't figured out or just think that it wasn't meant to be tangible to my mind.

Then I have done my job

minotaurheadcheese
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jul 2012, 11:27 am

Oh.. as far as actually saying "I love you"? If I said it, I would be telling someone that I felt what I described above. If someone said it to me, I wouldn't know what to assume it meant, unless they had already told me what it meant to them, so I would probably have to ask. The words themselves don't really seem like that big a deal to me.

"And there are days when I would be away . . . Oh, wherever men of my sort used to go, long ago. Wandering on paths that other men have not seen. Behind the sky. On the other side of the rain." -Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

GreenShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2012, 11:37 am

LoveHim wrote:
@greenshadow:

- I set a trap on you
- I wish to exploit you
- I'll make a lot of crappy deeds to you, and I will tell that's only your fault

are you serious or being sarcastic?? that is so harsh/sad.[/quote]

I'm absolutely serious

I know this statement is harsh, sad and bitter, but this is brutal truth

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2012, 11:41 am

LoveHim wrote:

Oh I see. I shall try and answer the question you were actually asking :)

If someone said it to me I wouldn't necessarily presume they felt the same way about it as I do. I've had men say 'I love you' to me when what they meant was 'Will you sleep with me' or 'Don't leave' etc. Everyone is different, so if you are unsure it might be best to clarify what they mean. Generally when most people say 'I love you' it signifies deep feelings. I've only once been in a situation where someone said 'I love you' prior to the relationship becoming sexual (I'm a hussy!) and in that instance it meant 'I love you and want to be with you'.