Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 5:30 pm

Someone once said on this site "if your desperate, dateless and downright rude you get nothing less than you deserve."

I don't quite understand what that comment means? Can someone explain what that person meant in more depth?

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 5:47 pm

Sounds like they meant that if you're desperate, dateless, and rude then you deserve to be dateless and desperate. I think the underlying message in the statement though is that if you're rude to others, they have the right to be rude to you as well.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 6:08 pm

Out of context, I find it hard to attempt to explain.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 6:50 am

statements like this imply that your datelesness is due to you being deliberately rude to others, meaning you should be nicer to others and not be that obviously desperate.

it is best to just ignore comments like this though.

ShamelessGit
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 7:57 am

I thought the meaning was really obvious. Is it the "Get nothing less than you deserve" part that throws you off? I think technically this means that you will get at least what you deserve, and not less, but people are stupid and don't realize what their words mean half the time when they open their mouth.

It says almost exactly what it said, that if you are an unpleasant person, then the romantic experience you receive will be exactly what you deserve.

I don't like that phrase very much. I'm a nihilist, so "deserve" has no clear meaning for me. At any rate, love is something someone has to give to you, and people are dumb as s**t a lot of the time ("dumb as s**t" = methaphor), so even if, for instance, you defined "deserving" as being what the other person is looking for, being "deserving" does not mean that you are going to get it, although there is a good chance that it will improve your chances.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 8:45 am

"Nothing less than you deserve" is the negative version of "you get what you deserve."

I think what they are saying is that if your rude, you deserve to be alone. If your desperate you deserve to be alone.

No one wants a rude or desperate person.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 2:04 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
"Nothing less than you deserve" is the negative version of "you get what you deserve."

I think what they are saying is that if your rude, you deserve to be alone. If your desperate you deserve to be alone.

No one wants a rude or desperate person.

Yep. This.