Are you positive, negative, or indifferent about romance?

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Are you positive, negative, or indifferent about romance?
Positive (I love it / need it / want it / can't live without it) 38%  38%  [ 33 ]
Negative (don't get it / can't succeed at it / wish it weren't an issue) 29%  29%  [ 25 ]
Indifferent (what the heck is the fuss about?) 33%  33%  [ 28 ]
Total votes : 86

StuckWithin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2012, 4:02 pm

What's your general view about "romance" and all the behaviors that go along with it - the guessing of intentions, the supposed gestures that show you care, etc. etc.? Are you able to make sense of it and act as required, or do you find the whole thing baffling and just a general frustration?

I fall into the latter camp generally, because I tend to seek logic in human interaction, and this is one area where it so often seems to be lacking. To me romance is a frivolous way of masking fear and buying time, until such time as one or both persons feel that they truly know the other.

That's my take on it anyway. Nothing says I'm right about it 8O

balletnerd
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2012, 4:10 pm

I suppose I have an alternative view of romance. For me its that spark that alights when theres a meeting of minds. For me romance is sitting under the stars on a cloudless night talking science, theories, philosophies, culture until you're too tired to continue... ahhhh.... to find such a person again...

StuckWithin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2012, 7:35 pm

balletnerd wrote:
I suppose I have an alternative view of romance. For me its that spark that alights when theres a meeting of minds. For me romance is sitting under the stars on a cloudless night talking science, theories, philosophies, culture until you're too tired to continue... ahhhh.... to find such a person again...

Oh, I like your definition.

First time I have seen it worded like that. Actually makes sense, so long as a meeting of minds is involved.

It's a meeting of everything minus minds that has never made much sense to me.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 7:41 pm

No girl likes me.
Every girl hates me.
I'm going to lose.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 10:34 pm

StuckWithin wrote:
What's your general view about "romance" and all the behaviors that go along with it - the guessing of intentions, the supposed gestures that show you care, etc. etc.? Are you able to make sense of it and act as required, or do you find the whole thing baffling and just a general frustration?

I fall into the latter camp generally, because I tend to seek logic in human interaction, and this is one area where it so often seems to be lacking. To me romance is a frivolous way of masking fear and buying time, until such time as one or both persons feel that they truly know the other.

That's my take on it anyway. Nothing says I'm right about it 8O

^This

I'm no hopeless romantic but I have nothing against it either. The only reason I put negative, is the fact that I find a lot of the hopeless romantic stuff silly. I also have had a few bad experiences with romance in the past, so I often talk about it with a bit of sarcasm. There really is no logic in romance, I prefer to put my time into things that actually make sense.

ComradeKael
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2012, 10:49 pm

I am both a poet and a romantic. Sadly, this combination has left me bitter and cynical. I had an extremely good with relationship with someone I really loved and cared about, though she broke up with me because she felt her own Autism would prevent me from getting all I "Should" out of the relationship. In other words, she felt I was too good for her. I put negative because, well, rejection leaves a man jaded. There have been plenty of girls to express *physical* attraction towards me, but they seldom want a serious relationship. Or my quirks end up annoying them to the point where any interest fades.

BrokenEnvoke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2012, 7:35 am

Mmm~ for me it's a bit more logical than cute "romance".

Not too long ago I met a girl who was such a poet and had a deep romantic view of things.
She would always tell me about different romantic stuff like how I was the sun in her life, the angel she has always waited bla bla bla...
But it went on and on and on, so I felt like it was all wasted on me, because to me it was just empty and meaningless words.

I learned I enjoy more "cold" relationships where there is no need for meaningless try hard romance involved.
Not saying I don't enjoy showing care through cuddling and kissing, but there's a line where I want to scream "Yeah I get it!"

Ehhh... it's hard to describe it, but I think "cold romance" somehow fits for me :?

"Our love don't need words baby 8) "

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

16 Oct 2012, 7:56 am

Uh, let me say this: I'm just a hopeless romantic. That is all that really needs to be said on that about me and love.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

JRR
Toucan
Toucan

16 Oct 2012, 8:46 am

None of the above apply.

I feel sort of like I'm mentally handicapped in that department, but I do "want to believe!"

It's a bit of positive and a bit of reality, which is slightly negative for me.

Adam82
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 8:11 am

I'd like to believe. I think I'd be a romantic, if given the chance

But I've never had any luck with women, am 30 now, a kissless virgin. My hope is running out that things will change for me.

Maerlyn138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2012, 8:18 am

When not in a relationship I can't stand romance or romantic things. When I am in a relationship, like now, I soak it up and can't get enough.

Aspie score: 159 of 200 NT score: 64 of 200

transformingcar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 8:50 am

for me, nothing is more important then finding love, after all, thats what life is all about.
however, I know I'll never find my one true love, the whole world hates me and I'm in a position where i can't do anything about it...
now if someone would help me find a girlfriend, maybe it would work out, but even my family won't help...

there's no point in liveing without love, espiacilly once your an adult. I'm 19, and everyone i've seen around where I live, has found love long before they were my age...

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 9:49 am

I'd have to say positive in my mind, indifferent in actual practice/real life. Like for me, I love romantic songs and things like that, I just can't get enough of it. I love the concept of romance, it's so neat and fascinating to me, but I've never actually experienced real romance, only crushes. Who knows

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 1:37 pm

Negative, because it is something I desperately want but feel that I can't get.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 1:41 pm

the poll options are confusing. Because positive for me would mean I feel positive about it, and negative that it brings me down to think about it. Yet the explanation are more wether you're for or against romance, not so much how it makes you feel.

Watilla
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Oct 2012, 7:28 pm

I don't believe in romance.

I'll get my coat.