The five illusions preventing you from letting go.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 3:10 pm

I don't know what other forum to post this in. These illusions come from a book I am reading called "The Secret of Letting Go" by Guy Finley. But let's say for the sake of a relationship, here is what prevents you from letting go.

1. The illusion of feeling useless or otherwise insignificant in life (with it's heartache and sorrow).
2. The illusion of discouragement (with its bitterness and blame).
3. The illusion of regret (with its seemingly inescapable grief and guilt)
4. The illusion of limitation (with its fear and sense of frustration).
5. The illusion that others are better, stronger or wiser than you (with it's painful self-doubt and insecurity).

I would say for anyone that had problems in letting go of a past relationship, Look at the reasons why. Chances are it might come down to one or more of the illusions listed above.

albeniz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2013, 3:20 pm

3. and 4. are hardly illusions, I think they are quite real!

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 3:25 pm

albeniz wrote:
3. and 4. are hardly illusions, I think they are quite real!

Regret comes and goes the second you take responsibility for your actions rather than justify them. It is that simple.
Limitation as I am realizing it now is living by this label of autism or Aspergers I was given. If I believe in the limitation, I am allowing others to believe it to be true of me as well.

Rifter
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jan 2013, 10:06 pm

aspiemike wrote:
I don't know what other forum to post this in. These illusions come from a book I am reading called "The Secret of Letting Go" by Guy Finley. But let's say for the sake of a relationship, here is what prevents you from letting go.

1. The illusion of feeling useless or otherwise insignificant in life (with it's heartache and sorrow).
5. The illusion that others are better, stronger or wiser than you (with it's painful self-doubt and insecurity).

I would say for anyone that had problems in letting go of a past relationship, Look at the reasons why. Chances are it might come down to one or more of the illusions listed above.

Great post! Thanks.

I worked for a guy a few years back who taught me being frustrated or angry was a choice - both of which could be classified as illusions I guess.

That one small lesson changed my life and the way I manage and interact with people - I started taking that lesson and applying it to everything - it changed the way I thought about Aspergers and a great deal of my life in general.

I'm going to read this book - I let go of things pretty quickly as another great lesson I've learned is to take accountability for and ownership of every situation I find myself in, but I can see how its' content might be applicable to many different areas of life, not just realtionships.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 6:13 am

wow, very fascinating! i have been quite impressed with a lot of your contributions on the forum lately, aspiemike, and this post is no exception. you have a great deal of interesting insight.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 7:28 am

The Third Way
The process involved is extremely simple, it takes as much effort as releasing your grip on an object. If you were to hold onto this object as tightly as possible for a few hours, the feeling would be uncomfortable but would become familiar. The same thing is happening inside your mind. In this case, the object is a feeling, a thought or a limiting belief (we will get to thoughts and limiting beliefs later). Letting go of a feeling is no different mentally as it is physically, in both cases you just unclench and let it fall.
Without your say so, the object or feeling does not remain attached to you. It may seem that the feeling is griping you, but in reality it is equally you that is gripping the feeling. If you rest something in the palm of your hand sometimes even a breeze can be enough for it to fall. The same is true of emotions, you can only let go of an emotion that you held onto in the first place. During this process never overlook that fact. You have to be aware if you are embracing currently what it is you are trying to release.
The mental equivalent of an open hand is open consciousness. I first thought that open consciousness was about being hyper vigilant and taking everything in. I was profoundly wrong. Open consciousness is about allowing things to enter AND leave your consciousness as you see fit. It is not having the front door open (the senses) and the back door closed. If this happens to you, imagine a tube/door inserted or placed on wherever the energy/sensations are, allowing them to leave through it.
When you look closely enough at any object, you see that there are gaps and spaces. Magnify anything enough and you start to see that most of everything is empty space. The same thing is true about feelings. When you really look at them closely, there is nothing there! This realisation regarding your feelings is the root of inner peace.
The process is made up of three steps and not all of them are actually necessary in all cases.
Welcoming – What are you feeling now? Sometimes just step one is enough to dissipate an emotion or a problem.

Letting go - Could you allow yourself to let go of that feeling?

Taking action and when – Could you do it now?
That’s it! This process takes literally three seconds yet it takes you an extra mile. It takes just three seconds to do when habitually reinforced:
Become aware of the feeling
Feel the feeling
Identify the feeling
Relax into the feeling
Release the feeling
At first you will have to do this consciously, it may take three hours. But as you become more familiar with this process, it will become something you do naturally. Eventually, you don’t even think about the process, you release on the fly. Things just don’t “get to you” anymore and you can take a point without taking any pain. Eventually you reach a state a calm stability and presence. Whatever emotions that do come up are the appropriate emotion to the appropriate degree and that never happens when there are blockages.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 9:25 am

answeraspergers wrote:
The Third Way
The process involved is extremely simple, it takes as much effort as releasing your grip on an object. If you were to hold onto this object as tightly as possible for a few hours, the feeling would be uncomfortable but would become familiar. The same thing is happening inside your mind. In this case, the object is a feeling, a thought or a limiting belief (we will get to thoughts and limiting beliefs later). Letting go of a feeling is no different mentally as it is physically, in both cases you just unclench and let it fall.
Without your say so, the object or feeling does not remain attached to you. It may seem that the feeling is griping you, but in reality it is equally you that is gripping the feeling. If you rest something in the palm of your hand sometimes even a breeze can be enough for it to fall. The same is true of emotions, you can only let go of an emotion that you held onto in the first place. During this process never overlook that fact. You have to be aware if you are embracing currently what it is you are trying to release.
The mental equivalent of an open hand is open consciousness. I first thought that open consciousness was about being hyper vigilant and taking everything in. I was profoundly wrong. Open consciousness is about allowing things to enter AND leave your consciousness as you see fit. It is not having the front door open (the senses) and the back door closed. If this happens to you, imagine a tube/door inserted or placed on wherever the energy/sensations are, allowing them to leave through it.

When you look closely enough at any object, you see that there are gaps and spaces. Magnify anything enough and you start to see that most of everything is empty space. The same thing is true about feelings. When you really look at them closely, there is nothing there! This realisation regarding your feelings is the root of inner peace.
The process is made up of three steps and not all of them are actually necessary in all cases.
Welcoming – What are you feeling now? Sometimes just step one is enough to dissipate an emotion or a problem.

Letting go - Could you allow yourself to let go of that feeling?

Taking action and when – Could you do it now?
That’s it! This process takes literally three seconds yet it takes you an extra mile. It takes just three seconds to do when habitually reinforced:
Become aware of the feeling
Feel the feeling
Identify the feeling
Relax into the feeling
Release the feeling
At first you will have to do this consciously, it may take three hours. But as you become more familiar with this process, it will become something you do naturally. Eventually, you don’t even think about the process, you release on the fly. Things just don’t “get to you” anymore and you can take a point without taking any pain. Eventually you reach a state a calm stability and presence. Whatever emotions that do come up are the appropriate emotion to the appropriate degree and that never happens when there are blockages.

I agree that it is very useful to be able to do this but I think brain chemicals also play a role in the ease with which a person is able to do it.

I went on the progesterone-only Pill a month or so ago and since then I have found it a lot easier to let things go and not get so angry about them. So it isn't just conscious thought that enables people to do this; the levels of the various hormones and other chemicals in your brain play a major role too. I could not have thought myself into this more positive state of mind - I needed the progesterone.

They think Aspergers entails a number of genes being affected and some of these are related to the manufacture and/or response to various hormones/chemicals ie the processes aren't working properly.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 10:22 am

its an extract from my book

diet is later on

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 10:38 am

answeraspergers wrote:

diet is later on

I wasn't going to be able to get that amount of progesterone from diet though, so it's not a dietary thing - it's about supplementing any hormones a person is lacking

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 10:49 am

nessa238 wrote:
answeraspergers wrote:

diet is later on

I wasn't going to be able to get that amount of progesterone from diet though, so it's not a dietary thing - it's about supplementing any hormones a person is lacking

There are dietary suplements and this may be what confused him
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_supplement

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 11:22 am

I use diet and some supps to influence hormones. But yeah sometimes some people do need drugs.

Hormones are bio-chemical messengers that impact on how we look, feel sex drive, motivation etc You would be amazed how much affects them

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 1:06 pm

Thank you hyperlexian for your comment. Thank you all in here so for for your own contributions. Thank you to answeraspergers for your insight as well. It closely links to some of what I have been going through for all of the years and definitely is another way of explaining how your ego likes to use illusions to prevent you from letting go. All these illusions I mentioned seem to link directly to fear.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 3:13 pm

fear is the most elemental of emotions - it plays a huge role - specifically fear response.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 3:39 pm

answeraspergers wrote:
I use diet and some supps to influence hormones. But yeah sometimes some people do need drugs.

Hormones are bio-chemical messengers that impact on how we look, feel sex drive, motivation etc You would be amazed how much affects them

Testosterone influencing supps are sweet, but unfortunately I'm more socially awkward on them, but more outgoing.

Rifter

21 Jan 2013, 5:04 pm

1000Knives wrote:
answeraspergers wrote:

Testosterone influencing supps are sweet, but unfortunately I'm more socially awkward on them, but more outgoing.

Cellcor makes something called 'P6' which has worked for me as a Test booster, i have heard that it has no effect on other people, though.

Foxx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2013, 8:51 pm

Rifter wrote:
aspiemike wrote:

Great post! Thanks.

I worked for a guy a few years back who taught me being frustrated or angry was a choice - both of which could be classified as illusions I guess.

That one small lesson changed my life and the way I manage and interact with people - I started taking that lesson and applying it to everything - it changed the way I thought about Aspergers and a great deal of my life in general.

I'm going to read this book - I let go of things pretty quickly as another great lesson I've learned is to take accountability for and ownership of every situation I find myself in, but I can see how its' content might be applicable to many different areas of life, not just realtionships.

Great posts, both of you :)

While being angry or frustrated in itself is not a choice, there's always the choice of expressing it, I think that's what he might have meant.

As for the 5 points:

1 is reinforced by the notion that we are encouraged to find relationships in the social mass that surrounds us. Being in a relationship usually increases social status, being married even more so.

2,3 and 4 are the natural reactions to failure, but also defenses against being emotionally hurt. The dagger digs deep and hard.

4 is, however, also the key to improving yourself and what we usually learn from.

5 ties them together

I learned #4 when I was told that I had Aspergers (I was diagnosed at age 4, but found out about it at age 7 or 8 when I asked why I attended a special ed school), and decided not to accept the answer I got. I'm glad I did that, as I wouldn't have been able to get as far in life as I have. I most likely wouldn't have become a good programmer and a well-versed IT technician if I had accepted that fact back then.

Today, I accept my Asperger's for the merits it gives me (good memory, extensive knowledge in given subjects (IT, astronomy, medicine, biology and chemistry), the ability to focus on a given task), but not for its downfalls (meltdowns, social problems).