how do u handle ppl speaking of their love lives etc?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

bluerose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2013, 12:27 pm

when you've never had those experiences etc, and your friends can't seem to shut up about it, do you just sit there awkwardly or what? i sometimes can't take it so i busy myself with makeup or getting another drink or going to the bathroom and hoping the topic will be different when i come back but it does put a dent on the evening when it reminds you of what you can't have.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 12:29 pm

I try to talk about it. I have an urge to communicate to others, and that's one of the things I could use more information on.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 12:58 pm

Bluerose, sometime back I read an apothegm that really resonates with me: An intellectual is one who has found something more interesting to think about than sex. Though I would not identify myself as an intellectual, I think there is some truth in this statement.

When I was enlisted in the US Navy sailing around your part of the world, all most sailors could think about was drinking beer, football, and the girls they slept with.

I put myself through college doing land surveying, and while the sex talk usually wasn't quite as graphic, it was still there.

Now I am a professional and can't recall the last time I was involved in a conversation discussing sex graphically. In Texas at least, sex is just not discussed in polite society.

What I'm getting at is that if this type of conversation bothers you, you may want to find other people to associate with. It is just my opinion, but our sex lives are private matters and should remain that way.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 1:05 pm

I'm with librarian on this one. Find new people to talk to and new places to hang out.
People incapable of talking about anything but their hormones, irreponsibility and impulses are not worth your time.

Edit: To answer your topic bluerose I just deal with it. If they talk about it too much I question them if they think about anything else then change the subject whether they like it or not.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 1:18 pm

if I was interested in the person, I wouldn't really want to hear about her past at that moment. if some random person... but then again men don't really share this in the open. or at least not with me. my friend was married for 2 years and his wife was pregnant. I only found all this out after someone else told me his wife is pregnant. Me... huh you are married, with who?

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 1:47 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
Bluerose, sometime back I read an apothegm that really resonates with me: An intellectual is one who has found something more interesting to think about than sex. Though I would not identify myself as an intellectual, I think there is some truth in this statement.

The people you describe didn't seem to do much thinking about sex. Sexology is actually really fun.

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 4:53 pm

I fall asleep or wander off and get into things.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

ripped
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 6:50 pm

You can ask inappropriately intimate questions like their partner's favorite positions.

bluerose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2013, 11:07 pm

when drunk girls are giggling about schoolgirl roleplay i doubt favourite positions are going to do much to discourage them from the topic :D

but it's not just sex they speak of, it's their boyfriend and their crushes and how much guys call them etc etc etc. compliments, 500 hour phone conversations, oh the list of what i can't have is endless.

i guess it's more about how to handle jealousy. i really don't want any info on the subject because it's not going to happen for me either way, so the less i know about how wonderful it is. it's sort of like being blind and having ppl speak of beautiful paintings and sunsets etc.. except noone even feels guilty for doing it in front of you.

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 11:56 pm

The answer to your question, OP, is that I get depressed and moody. ~sigh~

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 12:15 am

Can I meet your school girl friends?

bluerose
Sea Gull