Feelings towards her spring up.. then she meets someone else

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Erlonman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jun 2013, 2:58 am

I recently found out that one of my female friends that I have known for a bit has started dating. Before she started dating this guy, I did not take that much of an interest in her. For some reason, however, I suddenly am thinking about her a fair amount and having fears, an example being that I may never see her again.. Does anyone have any idea what is going on with me? All I can think of right now is that A) I do not like the guy and am afraid for her, or B) I liked her all along but never really asked her out or made a move, and am experiencing jealousy.

Can anyone give me perspective regarding this? It is actually stressing me out a little.

motley
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jun 2013, 3:40 am

This sounds quite common. Chances are that the feelings you are experiencing are not necessarily romantic, but rather a normal fear of loss. She is your friend and she is important to you. Anyone or anything that swallows up a lot of her attention will naturally take time away from you.

Give her space and do not do anything rash - should it be more than a case of friend-jealousy, you will know in due time. Make sure you stay in touch and do the things you used to do together. If she becomes unavailable during the most passionate in-love phase, the best thing you can do is hang tight and still be there for her when she returns to planet earth.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 9:39 am

I'm going to agree with Motley, it is tough and I am kind of going through a similar phase with a couple friends, but don't know if they're dating anyone either. I do know one of them is confused about feelings and where to go with her life, while the other has a child.
The biggest mistake you can make is to take this personally.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2013, 3:27 pm

It's called wanting what you can't have. It's very common.

Erlonman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jun 2013, 5:57 pm

Thanks for the advice everybody. After having a couple of days of reflecting on it, I realize that it is more of a friendship issue than a crush/relationship issue. I have a feeling we will remain friends though.