Extremely deep feelings and AS

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 2:03 pm

I am a person that some mental health professionals think I have AS but was never given a diagnosis. But something happened to me that I wonder if it is usual for aspie or more like a NT.

All my life I would develop a very deep crush on a man and the man would get scared and run away. But one man didn't run away and eventually developed very deep feelings and attachment to him. Do aspies develop such deep feelings?

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

punkguy378
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2013, 4:02 pm

I believe so. Maybe some have difficulty actually showing emotions but not always. But feelings of love and attachment happen to many aspies. I tend to feel these things too much actually. I over-feel things. And I am officially diagnosed Aspie. I think as far as love goes NTs and Aspies can be similar in that they both can feel love.

Sometimes love feelings for aspies can be quite intense and sometimes this aspect can make people people they are interested in get uncomfortable because it can come out too strong for that person to handle from you. I think we have a tendancy to get more fixated on someone than we should and sometimes those things come out since we have difficulty being too direct with people for their comfort level and how long you have known them.

I have had multiple crushes and I generally did something to make them feel uncomfortable since I kind of pursued them in an odd way or something. Just being extremely direct after only talking to them for a brief period. It spooks them.

Also I tend to be at opposite extremes I show interest too much and sometimes not enough. It definitely makes dating more precarious for us and quite a bit more challenging. But love is definitely possible for aspies.

solarintegral
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Nov 2013, 1:00 am

It's funny. I often times am very good at "masking" my feelings and other times have a difficulty expressing them in general, but I do have them. According to a personality test, I have the INTP personality type, but this does not suggest the fact that I don't have emotions. All that means it that I try to validate - everything! I am most likely unsatisfied if I find some sort of error anywhere down the line, and that applies to human relationships as well, not just logistics. I think this is why thinkers instead of feelers, as suggested by personality types, often times have a hard time showing emotions and end up looking void of them or end up displaying them in an inappropriate fashion, because they are validating whether or not they're legitimate or don't understand them. In reality, thinkers may actually be high on the emotional side as well.

I'm high on both sides, which means that I'll be over-thinking them which will eventually stir conflict. I cycle between having the emotions (due to my emotional side) and obsessing over them and trying to figure out whether or not they are logical. (due to my logical side) and this is why I often times try to mask my feelings or end up bad at expressing them in an appropriate and non-explosive way. I was told by my school counselor that I am bad at expressing empathy, and I am bad at that. I'm terrible, and it's something I need to work on. (I think I've gotten better over the last couple of years)

Okay, there are some things I'm good at expressing when it comes to empathy and whatnot, but it depends on what it is. There was an anime sketch artist in my class, and I admired her work, but according to my school counselor (I'm trying not to perseverate over this), I didn't show any reception to her work. It's not that I don't care about other people - I do, it's that I'm constantly trying to figure out things about myself that I don't necessarily understand, and when it comes to other people themselves, it's easier for me to think out a response when I'm typing to them, because there's obviously an extended amount of time to do so. I get nervous around certain personality types and sometimes start thinking to myself that they're not going to like me, so I don't give them a chance.

Anyways, yes, people with AS often times have deep feelings, and it is my belief that because they're often times oversensitive and over-logical (me), they have the same "problem" I have. In person, I have a few acquaintances and people who like me, but I have zero close friends. On the internet, I have a couple.