Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

27 Dec 2013, 2:26 pm

I've been with this woman for almost 3 years. When she's sober things are good.
When she drinks it's like Jekyll and Hyde, she's horrible.

She lies, she says mean things, she picks fights with me, she tells me about terrible things that happened in the war (she's a Desert Storm veteran), she hints that she's done bad things that she won't talk about (I don't know what is truth or lies).

Is this just normal drunken behavior and I'm supposed to just dismiss it? Is that what "normal" NT people do? I usually wind up very upset and questioning the future of our relationship while the next day she acts like nothing happened. When I tell a NT what happened they laugh and dismiss it because she was drunk. As if you can say or do anything when you're drunk because it doesn't count.

It's all bizarre behavior to me. I have a drink or two and then stop. If I drink more than that I fall asleep or get sick. I don't go around being rowdy and stirring up trouble.

Honestly, I've become rather disappointed in most people as of late so then I wonder if I am expecting too much of people and no one will live up to my standards. Even trying to talk about this stuff up front seems to be a NT taboo. I'm at a loss for what to do. I don't want these episodes to continue, they cause me a lot of stress but whenever I bring it up I get a lot of promises and then it's the same old thing in no time again.

Merle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 2:33 pm

Tori0326 wrote:

She lies, she says mean things, she picks fights with me, she tells me about terrible things that happened in the war (she's a Desert Storm veteran), she hints that she's done bad things that she won't talk about (I don't know what is truth or lies).

Is this just normal drunken behavior and I'm supposed to just dismiss it? Is that what "normal" NT people do? I usually wind up very upset and questioning the future of our relationship while the next day she acts like nothing happened. When I tell a NT what happened they laugh and dismiss it because she was drunk. As if you can say or do anything when you're drunk because it doesn't count.

It's all bizarre behavior to me. I have a drink or two and then stop. If I drink more than that I fall asleep or get sick. I don't go around being rowdy and stirring up trouble.

Honestly, I've become rather disappointed in most people as of late so then I wonder if I am expecting too much of people and no one will live up to my standards. Even trying to talk about this stuff up front seems to be a NT taboo. I'm at a loss for what to do. I don't want these episodes to continue, they cause me a lot of stress but whenever I bring it up I get a lot of promises and then it's the same old thing in no time again.

Different people cope differently, and alcohol affects people differently as well. Some are happy drunks, some are sour and some just plain old morose.

Combat affects people differently. I have family members who were in Korea and Vietnam and what they did there doesn't even trouble them, but the loss of family members greatly haunts them (parents & siblings).

When we go to the VFW post and drink, we have our limits and know them. We'll be there for hours but no one will start a fight, get loud or rowdy or even start crying in their beer (though many of the older vets have more reason to than anyone else, particularly the ones who are fighting cancer or when we hear about Ed passing away).

Honestly, she seems "young" and is looking for a way to cope and to handle (or to get a handle on) what happened. It could be PTSD, or not having a circle of friends that understands, or that she's simply a bad drunk.

Ultimately, it's who she is, and if she's entirely different, then I'd talk to her about abstaining from drink because of how it (negatively) affects her, her mood and ultimately you as well.

If she's not willing to curtail, then it's a decision you have to make to remain supportive (and potentially get her help via the VA and the like WITHOUT meds) or to walk away.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 2:34 pm

I'm going to be very blunt, but I have great experience in this regard.

This is what it means to do the right thing:
A) If you are not married, confront her, and make an ultimatum: go to AA or dump her.

B) If you are married, go to ALANON yourself, and learn how to free yourself from the pattern of codependency and enabling.

There is no grey area with an alcoholic. Only black and white. Alcoholism is a disease which left untreated will cause death.

Rule #1: Always do the right thing. Rule #2: See Rule #1.

MadeUnderground
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 2:45 pm

How often does she drink?

If she drinks every weekend, she would have a serious problem with alcohol.

If she drinks every day or every other day then she is most likely an alcoholic.

Alcohol does different things to people. When I first started drinking, it wouldn't change me much. Even if I had 13 beers and some shots.

When I got on antidepressants, I would drink 6 beers and then black out.. With friends telling me I was talking to a cheeseburger or tried to pick a fight with someone walking down the street.

I was a drug addict. Addicted to synthetic marijuana and DXM pills. When I kicked that habit, I substituted that with alcohol and became an alcoholic.

Sometimes I was funny, sometimes I was mean, and sometimes I started bawling my eyes out, but no matter HOW I was drunk, I was still drunk/intoxicated all the time.

I've kicked that habit too almost a year ago now, (almost 10 months) and things have gotten much better.

Most NT's aren't alcoholics, so most won't drink enough so that it changes their personality. If every time she drinks, she changes, she is getting drunk.

She obviously needs help. If she can't abstain from drinking alcohol, maybe in patient rehab is the place for her.
If she can abstain but not for very long, perhaps out patient rehab is for her.

If she doesn't have insurance and/or can't afford those services then some sort of alcohol group meetings is for her.

AA, SMART Recovery, LifeRing Secular Recovery, Women For Sobriety, et cetera..

There's a lot of help meetings out there and she may have to try going to several before she finds one she likes.
The most popular is obviously AA, but that may not work for her (as it didn't work for me), but the key is to try.
There are many different AA groups in my town and I've been to every different meeting, and a few of the same several times in the last 4-5 months, but I found that AA was not for me personally. I prefer SMART Recovery.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 2:50 pm

Tori0326 wrote:

This reminds me of an alcoholic in my family who used to bully me. For years I put up with it, because I didn't understand what was happening fully, just thought I should "put up with him". Now I see that what JSBACHlover said, above, is true. You must not allow the alcoholic to draw you into their sickness. Talking about this stuff is not taboo. IF she is not wiling to deal with the problem - after 3 years of doing the Jeckyll and Hyde thing, that is a problem, then you have a decision to make.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 3:01 pm

Tori0326 wrote:

It is not normal drunken behavior, but if this is what you see when her inhibitions are down, don't fool yourself into thinking that's the only time she's like that. What it means is, when she's sober, she hides these traits better.

I've known someone exactly like that and the lying doesn't just happen when they're drunk, it's just that when they're drunk, they don't care if you know it or not. The cruel things they say when they're drinking are the things they're thinking every day and don't say out loud.

The hints at things she's done may or may not be true, but they're also being dangled either in an attempt to seem intriguing and mysterious, or to intimidate you. Or both.

Mentally healthy people are relaxed and happy when they're inebriated. They may get moody and depressed, since alcohol is a depressant, some may get angry and belligerent, but those are both indicative of an already unhealthy emotional state.

At the very least, she needs to see a counselor. She may be suffering from PTSD. Lying, OTOH is just a personality flaw and there is no cure for it.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 3:28 pm

If you find yourself in a situation where you want to point out to someone that they have a drinking problem, than that person HAS A DRINKING PROBLEM.

Don't believe them when they say they are fine and that they don't have a problem because if they really didn't have a problem, it wouldn't have occurred to you to consider even for a second that they may have a problem.

So step one: be firm about the fact that they have a problem
Step two: ask them if they are willing to do anything about it
Step three: depending on their answer either help them, get someone else to help them or leave

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 3:39 pm

Willard wrote:
Mentally healthy people are relaxed and happy when they're inebriated..

+1 this

When I am drunk I get relaxed and jolly, sometimes sleepy. I'm actually less boisterous than when sober. Because I feel like myself, and the pressure to perform is taken away - it shows me for who I really am - a smiley dopey daydreamer.

My father used to get violent and mean when drunk, whereas when he was sober he was the 'nicest person in the world'. What Willard said. People just show they true colours when they are drunk. I used to go out with someone who had a massive drink and drugs problem at the time. They've come through it all mostly and at least now when they drink they don't spend the night throwing up and asking to die. Your gf sounds like she is suffering from PTSD and maybe she is drinking and being mean because her mind is all messed up and she doesn't know how to cope. However you can't force her to seek help and she may not be ready.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 3:50 pm

Wasn't there a saying that goes "the words and actions of a drunk man, are the thoughts of a sober one"?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 3:55 pm

No, that's not normal behaviour for having consumed alcohol.. and as someone who was a bartender for 5 years I've been around a lot of drunk people. It may be somewhat normal for a war veteran suffering from PTSD, though.

Regardless, it sounds like she's someone that just shouldn't drink alcohol, period, especially if she doesn't have the self control to just drink A drink or two.

Further, if it's a deal-breaker-big deal to you (only you can decide that) then I'd say it's ultimatum time: either she quits drinking and acting like that, or you're out. Simple as that. Personally, I couldn't imagine spending my life partnered with someone that behaved that way and refused to change for the benefit of our relationship. It would be a stressful horrible time of life vs. adding to one another as a relationship should. As for the 3 years "invested," it's a sunk cost - don't try to justify staying just because you've "invested," 3 whole years. That's a sure way to waste 30 years instead of just 3. If I were you and she can't/won't change, I'd pull the plug on the relationship and free myself. I'd be happier solo than in a relationship that made me miserable.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 4:49 pm

Uprising wrote:
Wasn't there a saying that goes "the words and actions of a drunk man, are the thoughts of a sober one"?

Yeah, alcohol is a mild "truth-serum" drug of sorts. I wonder if it's been used much during interrogations of people for extracting information.

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

27 Dec 2013, 7:04 pm

MadeUnderground wrote:
How often does she drink?

From my understanding she used to drink a lot more often before she met me. My personal observation is she can go weeks without drinking but get her in a social situation where people are drinking and she'll drink more than anyone else and make a fool of herself. When we get home instead of calling it a night she continues to drink (by herself) until she runs out of alcohol or passes out.

I believe there's multiple factors involved but I do think PTSD is a large part. She almost always talks about the war when she's drunk. When she's not talking about the war she picks fights with me saying she thinks I'm going to go back to my ex and that my mother likes my ex better than her. (Even when she's sober she asks me almost daily if my ex emailed and if so she wants to read it...I have a child with my ex so there is occasional communication but not excessive by any means.)

It's very hard because I do love her. Also, her family has accepted my son and myself as part of the family and they're wonderful people. It seems I'm involved with the black sheep of the family. I did not know this until further along. I think I may need to ask for their help dealing with her. I know she won't be happy but I'm getting to my breaking point.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 5:51 am

This is not normal drinking behavior. This is not because she is NT. It sounds like she is abusing alcohol to cope with PTSD from being a combat veteran. She needs to seek professional help. Al-anon might help you cope with the effects her drinking is having on you. They might be able to give you better advice than we can give you as well as ongoing support.

Your girlfriend sounds like my dad. He's a veteran, and he acted crazy when he drank, but he is a nice guy sober.

By the way, I have 6.5 years of professional experience dealing with people like your girlfriend. I used to work in the substance abuse treatment industry. Because I worked near a major army base, we treated a lot of combat veterans with PTSD.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 6:00 am

If she's keen on mind altering substances, why not choose one that's healthier/better than alcohol?

ie Marijuana would be a much safer and healthier alternative if she's looking to cope with PTSD.

Or if she's looking to treat it, Psilocybin has been proven to work well. In a John Hopkins University Medical School study it was the only substance ever proven to permanently cure clinical depression in some cases.

I've never tried it, and being synthetic it may be riskier, but I've read a few times over that PTSD is being treated in various medical experiments with great success by MDMA. From those I know that have done it and described it's effects, I get why it's being used and why it works.

Just some alternatives she may want to look into/ask a doctor about.

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2013, 12:37 am

I guess for me I just can't wrap my brain around why someone would want to do something that lacks all common sense like this. Hench I figured it must be an NT thing that I simply don't understand.

Anyway, I reached out to her sister briefly today saying I'd like to talk to her tomorrow about this.
Meanwhile, today she drank to the bottom of a 1.75L bottle of some kind of premade margarita cocktail she got as a Christmas gift from someone. After that apparently she staggered next door and smoke a joint with the neighbors but came home saying she was seeing "animal visions" so I'm thinking it was laced with something. She proceeded to turn on a hot shower and lay on the shower stall floor for at least an hour.
I was very concerned about my son witnessing all this and he clearly didn't understand why she was behaving like that. I don't want him growing up around this insanity. I texted her sister and told her what was going on and she came and got him and took him home with her for the night. She also offered for me to go along but I didn't want the dogs to be unsupervised in the house as I knew my gf would be passed out cold for the rest of the night...as she is now.

Apparently, she's scoffed at AA before so I don't know. I don't put much faith into treatment for people who don't want to be treated. I wasted 13 years in a marriage with someone who didn't want to deal with having been abused as a child and becoming an abuser as an adult. They sit there and go through the motions to appease you and nothing more. I will try regardless but I'm not going to hold my breath.