Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

buffinator
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 9:24 pm

All my life I've been told "well maybe you should watch more sitcoms," when I complain that I have poor social skills, or once I was interrupted in the process of trying to ask someone out and told a variation thereof.

I never took that advice because sitcoms and romances bored the hell out of me. Now I realize that that was a dumb mistake, that flirting is much more procedural than I had thought and isn't something you can make up as you go along.

So what are some good romantic comedies/ sitcoms?

They need to show NT's, preferably not the hyper-socially dysfunctional family theme.

They need to show facial expressions, body language, and realistic flirting language.

They need to show progression, i.e. meeting then dating etc.

If possible phone calls or texting

You are very likely an Aspie

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 9:47 pm

I enjoy watching romantic comedies.

Not sure I ever learnt any "techniques" from them, either of social interaction or of flirting and dating.

If I cannot read real people, I doubt I will be able to read the artificial people on the TV or movie screen. Mind you, the shows still are funny. I get the jokes, I just don't get the alleged lessons.

buffinator
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 10:24 pm

well, for example, right now I am watching "drinking buddies" and anna kendrick is saying things like "my heartbeat is really fast right now, mabey it is just me, and a couple variations on that, and then the guy kisses her. So that's standard "playing coy" behavior and I can look at the facial expressions, hands and posture and try and recognize them in the future. Conversely the other couple is being very brusque and weird, but in a good way apparently.

I'm not sure I agree with the statement that that's not how real life works because the media is how we teach our children to behave and so movies from the 1990s would reflect/create the behavioral patterns of millenials etc.

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 10:36 pm

I think I learned how to flirt from watching old romantic comedies--one of my all time favorites is "The Philadelphia Story" with Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, and Jimmy Stewart (another fun one with Grant/Hepburn is "Bringing Up Baby"). The situations in both movies are pretty unrealistic, and due to them taking place in the 1930s-40s, probably display some chauvinistic attitudes that absolutely wouldn't fly today, but the flirtatious banter between the characters is unparalleled (truly, it's excellent in any romantic comedy of that vintage). There was an elegance and wit to male-female interactions back then that we seem to have lost in recent decades.

Granted, that won't help you much with email and texting, but you could develop a style that puts you leagues ahead of your other male contemporaries. To be honest, you already seem to possess remarkably sound inclinations towards that kind of witty banter; maybe movies of that vintage could help you hone it to perfection. ;)

buffinator
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 10:59 pm

the hardest part for me is figuring out who to flirt with and who is mutually interested. Also my banter online is much less awkward online as I tend to either move to fast or too slow irl and online I have no expectations (possibly there's a lesson there)

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 12:42 am

Doc Martin is a favorite of mine. (PBS)

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 3:26 am

You need to watch films where the lead male character is someone resembling you irl, in terms of character, not looks. Also it would be best if you could watch these with female buddy who could translate for you. All my favourites are too old for you. But i would recommend anything with Adam Sandler as he specializes in loveable dork roles. Watch the wedding singer, its a fab flick anyway

MadeUnderground
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 3:40 am

My favorite romantic comedy is.. Uh.. hmm... I used to go to the movies a lot with my mom. I remember at the end of Win a Date with Tad Hamilton, the entire female audience burst into tears of joy. I have no idea why.

And the first time I was invited to (and allowed to go mind you) to a nearly entire female sleepover party (I was 13 I think), they insisted on watching The Notebook and was surprised I hadn't seen it and insisted I would love it. Well, the only other male at the party found a good excuse to leave (lucky b****d), and I was trapped.. I fell asleep about 20 minutes in and woke up the next morning with a sore neck since I conked out slumped over in a weird position on the couch.

Every time I try to think of a good romantic comedy I've seen, it winds up actually being just a chick flick. Or is that the same thing? I don't know. I liked Hot Chicks, John Tucker Must Die.. Uhh... I did like Love, Actually but it was replayed so much that I started to not like it..

I'll have to come back to this thread once I think long and hard about all the romantic comedies I've seen and liked. I just don't even think I've seen a lot of them...

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 4:46 am

I hated the Notebook. the only good thing about it was James Garner.

I don't think that watching romantic comedies for advice is a good idea. I think that one of the reasons that young women go into relationships with unrealistic expectations and think that eveything is going to be frilly and perfect is because of these awful films.

They are incredible unrealistic and are designed as escapist fantasy rather than advice to live your life by.

I recommend 500 days of Summer. Boy meets girl. Boy falls in love. Girl doesn't.

Don't live your life like a romantic comedy

CrinklyCrustacean
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 6:32 am

How about watching "As time goes by" which was a TV series starring Judi Dench and Geoffrey Palmer (available on youtube)? The scenario is that both of them are in their 50s/60s, having once been sweethearts but then their relationship ended when he went off to fight in the Korean war, and she has since married, had kids, and divorced. He walks into a secretarial office 20 years later to have his memoirs typed up, and she is the manager. It's probably the most realistic romcom I've seen and really, really well done.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 6:55 am

Ask your male buddies in relationships how they did it, and watch for patterns.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 3:21 pm

Those shows are wholly inappropriate for someone who wants to appear normal. While it is good to point out that it is not possible to rely entirely on tv for knowledge of social cues I have learnt all of mine that way and you wouldn't believe how socially acceptable I can be when I want something and don't care if people connect to the real me.
In related news, it is also advisable not to cross the street without looking both ways first.

as Im here, some of my favourites What happens in Vegas, Love and other drugs, adjustment bureau, the sweetest thing, valentine's day, whatever it takes, silver linings playbook, anything with Reese Witherspoon in it. You can easily score by asking a woman if she would watch a romcom with you. It is a great pick up line.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 3:34 pm

Oh, I've just thought of a couple of romantic films I've really enjoyed.

Barefoot in the Park - it's a 60s film, but the dialogue is hilarious. Robert Redford and Jane Fonda play a young married couple who have just moved into a tiny apartment. Watch it it's awesome!

Solaris - romantic, thriller type with George Clooney based on a novel by Stanislaw Lem. Haven't seen it in a long time, but remember it was good.

The Terminator (I'm just being silly now, but it's one of my favourite films) Teach a woman how to destroy the robot that's trying to kill her and you're on to a winner, but try not to get killed in the process or it won't work out.

And my all time favourite - Pretty in Pink. I love the subtle glances and awkward flirting between Andie and Blane.

I'm sorry, this might not be helpful, but they are films I recommend.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 3:34 pm

Watching Animal Planet helps too.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 10:43 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

:lol: I'd rather watch Animal Planet than a romantic comedy,I guess I'm the only woman that really does not like them.The only one that was funny at all was Bridesmaids and it got corny in the end when they broke into song.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2014, 11:12 pm

Misslizard wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

:lol: I'd rather watch Animal Planet than a romantic comedy,I guess I'm the only woman that really does not like them.The only one that was funny at all was Bridesmaids and it got corny in the end when they broke into song.

Animal Planet is brilliant. I have literally learned everything I know from TV and books. I watch people too but all I learn is what not to do.

Btw, I have found Bridesmaids to be very disappointing. People kept telling me I would love it and it was hilarious but I found it largely banal. Although the fountain scene was good.