Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Xlexa
Raven
Raven

06 Jun 2014, 9:57 pm

It didn't occur to me until I saw this female acting really stupid, and she is blonde, and everyone in my platoon was like, "she's wacky loopy she's on something". And then I was like, "She sounds like a cool person" (I didn't mean it to be honest, but I thought she was cute and way immature). And they were like, "Well she does a lot of things with men, and she's easy, and blah blah".

I was doing research on how blondes were more attractive and get more men (don't ask). And then I realize every time I talk to a guy it's usually in questions, and a one line of something trivial. Someone even told me I build all my rapport on lies and I'll make a good waitress/hostess (this is from a guy who knew me earlier on my life). And when I get happy, I talk really fast, and ask a bunch of random questions. And when I talk to girls it's usually just a one line or a greeting, and that's about it. It didn't hit me until I also realize people assume I am from California, legitly, and I tell them I am from Detroit. And they are like.... what? you're lying?.

It didn't occur to me until now that I dumb down men by the way I talk. It's the reason why men are attractive to me, and it's kind of disturbing.

Anyone talk to people like this.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 10:55 pm

From what you describe you seem to be the kind of person that has charm (aka talk in questions = you're giving off 'interest' signals..especially if its about stuff they like or about themselves..and the one line from something trivial is the standard small chat way of changing the subject..which I assume brings about another bout of questions).

The dumbing down of men..well, if you're very attractive to the guy and you're aiming the charm at them... yeah, you're going to dumb them down. You make the guy nervous because its almost as if you're flirting with them.

The reason you like it? I'd say its because deep down you know you're making them sweat and it feels good to know you have that effect on the opposite sex.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 12:04 am

It used to piss me off royally that people thought I was dumb. I've always had that "lost" stare, and I've always been a little slow and dull with my responses (trying didn't seem to go well).

At one point I started to embrace the "dumb" image and people loved it, they still love it. Maybe it's because everyone worries about looking dumb themselves and they appreciate the break.

I'm gonna go watch "House Bunny" again.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 7:42 am

The only kind of "dumb" people I dislike are those who are closed-minded, unopen to new ideas.

You have people who believe what they know is the be-all and end-all, no more questions asked. You get people who call others stupid just because they can't teach others properly and are transferring their incompetence onto them.

You have uneducated people who brush up their knowledge on subjects to an incredible degree. You get people (educated or not) who question answers that are "proven" to be wrong, and they prove them right.

You get people who put others down by making them out to be "dumb", without considering that persons' moral values, their knowledge on subjects, their abilities (for instance, you seem pretty good at attracting men, that in part is an ability) and their views on life.

Xlexa
Raven
Raven

07 Jun 2014, 10:48 am

Dantac wrote:
From what you describe you seem to be the kind of person that has charm (aka talk in questions = you're giving off 'interest' signals..especially if its about stuff they like or about themselves..and the one line from something trivial is the standard small chat way of changing the subject..which I assume brings about another bout of questions).

The dumbing down of men..well, if you're very attractive to the guy and you're aiming the charm at them... yeah, you're going to dumb them down. You make the guy nervous because its almost as if you're flirting with them.

The reason you like it? I'd say its because deep down you know you're making them sweat and it feels good to know you have that effect on the opposite sex.

I'm not that attractive, well I know how to use the right expressions and body language. I study this like an art though, my favorite face is the looking up with the eyes, or the arch eyebrow movement. I make sure to look into their pupils as well, but everything I do is mechanic (they don't know it's mechanic).

I try to think of it like Scarlet O'Hara (the first line in the book is that she wasn't that pretty; but she has Southern charm).

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 11:33 am

Xlexa wrote:
It didn't occur to me until now that I dumb down men by the way I talk. It's the reason why men are attractive to me, and it's kind of disturbing.

I don't know, but had speculated the first part, the asking many inconsequential questions was a defense mechanism. I thought it was done to keep the other person occupied with minor things so they do not turn the conversation to unwanted or uncomfortable things (such as hitting on the girl). Yet at the same time its a form of socializing and so doesn't make a bad impression. At least you are talking to them, etc.

The second part I do not understand, in how that makes men attractive.

In those kind of situations, if I was interested in the person I would try to ask more substantial questions in return. Or in other words try to draw them out of the shallow end to the deep end of the pool conversation wise. But that was because that is the type of conversation I prefer and I was trying to see if the other also liked that kind of talking. Far from all do however, and I don't think it has to do with intelligence so much as just how your brain operates and what your interests are.