Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 11:21 am

I live in the south of England near london.

I was talking to my parents about how girls often do not take the initiative to chat me up in pubs. They do sometimes chat to me buts it does not happen often. My mom then said to me "if you went to bars up north in Newcastle the girls would be talking chatting you up all the time". My dad then made a snide remake in a mocking tone saying "the girls up north will talk to anyone"

My dad was probably half joking but can you explain in more depth what he meant by "they will talk to anyone?"

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 11:40 am

I think he just means that he thinks girls in that area are "easy."

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 11:42 am

I would bet that he was joking about how the girls in Newcastle are desperate enough to talk with anybody (and, by making the joke, insult them ... and you, strangely). It sounds like an all-purpose insult and isn't very likely his attempt to be accurate about anybody.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 2:58 pm

Jamesy wrote:

I was talking to my parents about how girls often do not take the initiative to chat me up in pubs. They do sometimes chat to me buts it does not happen often. My mom then said to me "if you went to bars up north in Newcastle the girls would be talking chatting you up all the time". My dad then made a snide remake in a mocking tone saying "the girls up north will talk to anyone"

My dad was probably half joking but can you explain in more depth what he meant by "they will talk to anyone?"

Maybe they're prostitutes.
Or maybe your mom is from there and thinks the area is friendly and your dad was taking a "shot" at her.

(eek! I AM NOT saying your mom is a prostitute!)

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 4:51 pm

Sounds like a Southerner making fun of the North.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 6:00 pm

It seems like your dad thinks that Northern girls/women are lonely, and will settle for just any man as a companion. He might also have meant it as a bit more of an insult: Northern girls are more likely to "sleep around" than Londoners.

Obviously, you are smart enough to know that it was a snide statement. He was making a generalization, and perhaps making a joke at the same time at the expense of Northern girls/women. It's not something you should take seriously. It's something a person who is drunk might say.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 8:02 pm

Your moms teasing you about them being fast (empty headed slappers) - possibly prostitutes. Your dad is basically saying that fast and prostitute is the same thing in his opinion. To put it bluntly, instead of paying for sex, You end up paying for drinks to get them drunk to where they just have sex without any inhibition.
What the heck are you talking about these things with your parents for?? 8O C'mon Jamesy!! !

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 8:14 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It seems like your dad thinks that Northern girls/women are lonely, and will settle for just any man as a companion. He might also have meant it as a bit more of an insult: Northern girls are more likely to "sleep around" than Londoners.

Obviously, you are smart enough to know that it was a snide statement. He was making a generalization, and perhaps making a joke at the same time at the expense of Northern girls/women. It's not something you should take seriously. It's something a person who is drunk might say.

Ol' kraftiekortie calls it again!! "It's something a person who is drunk might say." kraftiekortie is very insightful and catches things. This is a rare gift. I didn't even hit upon that and I usually catch things because I'm suspicious of everybody.

AutisticGuy1981
Toucan
Toucan

29 Aug 2014, 1:01 pm

He might have just mean the girls in newcastle aren't shy and hey certainly aren't

ikerio
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2014, 8:50 pm

Too friendly for his liking.
Hint for: "Girls ought to be more reserved"

BigK
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2014, 9:46 am

Jamesy wrote:

I guess that you have not watched Geordie Shore.

"How can it not know what it is?"