Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 12:44 am

I have a low response rate on dating sites so I want to open my profile up to constructive criticism. Please point out any flaws you think women would find offputing.

catalina
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2014, 1:14 am

I think it is ok, maybe the right woman hasn´t seen your profile yet.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 1:28 am

Okay, here's some stuff I noticed:

Try not to start all your sentences with "I". Explain who you are in creative ways other than just listing things. Try to show your personality through the way you express yourself on the page.

The fact that you play video games and love geeky stuff is maybe less relevant to a partner than you make it seem by giving it a lot of attention. Talk more about things you like that you'd want to share with your partner (if that includes playing video games, say so).

Pretty much EVERYBODY enjoys the odd movie night on the couch. Saying you want that is saying you want someone average and boring.

Get some variety in your pics, they are almost all of you just looking straight at the camera. Only one of that type of pic is required.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 1:33 am

Oops I forgot the bit that really stood out to me (but I'm not sure many would notice it). The paragraph about the epiphany is confusing and messy. You talk about quitting your job and having an epiphany but that led to you losing weight and you still don't know what you want to do for a job. Maybe separate the job stuff and epiphany stuff, or at least explain what your epiphany was.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 1:43 am

I would be brutally honest with you:

Forget it, your looks are too average for online dating (and probably would be seen below average). Okcupid' stats show that women only find 20% of men as average-looking and above, your height might be impressive but it's not enough. The only thing you are gonna find there is being ignored and disappointment; for every woman there, there are 10 geeky guys like you.

Also your change career stop and the incertitude of what to do next (Maybe IT) would scare them off.

I am curious, why don't you go freelance? There's no profession that has freelance potential as the Graphic designer. Or had you realize that you don't like this profession altogether or you're simply not good at it? If you think the corporate attitude or the environment for IT people would be better than for Graphic designers, then you're wrong.

Your best bet is real life.

Work on your CV/skills/employment chances instead.

Rhapsody
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2014, 2:11 am

The first thing that struck me was the negativity in your very first line. I mean, it probably wasn't intended to be negative, but I read it as negative which would make me move on to the next dating profile. I know I'm not perfect, but I don't really want it pointed out. xD Might I suggest you soften it? Make it more positive? Liiiiiiike instead put ?seeking intellectual match?, or a pun or something. You're the one with the geeky sense of humor~

On that note, don't tell me you've got a sense of humor. Show me. Actually, you shouldn't have to tell your personality, it ought to be pretty evident from the way you write it. Be specific when you can. People bond over specifics. I'd suggest to explain more about this ?Den of Geekery?, and what kind of movies you'd really like to watch, or games you would like to play with them. I mean, I'm not every woman, but if I was cruising online profiles and I saw a guy that loves the same comics I do, or enjoys my favorite movies, I would definitely consider them.

Other'n that listen to Yellow and Boo. They gotcha covered.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 2:12 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
The fact that you play video games and love geeky stuff is maybe less relevant to a partner than you make it seem by giving it a lot of attention. Talk more about things you like that you'd want to share with your partner (if that includes playing video games, say so).

The reason I included that was because I've seen a number of profiles in which girls say they're "geek girls".
yellowtamarin wrote:
Pretty much EVERYBODY enjoys the odd movie night on the couch. Saying you want that is saying you want someone average and boring.

The reason I included that is because I've seen a number of profiles in which girls say they want to do the same thing, some even go so far as to say they don't like clubbing and partying.

There are quite a number of introverted girls on there. Perhaps they signed up for the same reason introverted guys sign up.

I'd like to reconcile my profile so that it seems less geeky but without losing it's appeal to geek girls. I'm not saying I only like geek girls, far from it, I just figured I might have a better chance at building a relationship with them or maybe a more stable relationship if I built a relationship with them.

Then again extroverted girls can be easier to deal with in some ways and not all geeks are introverts.

I revise my profile every now and then. In the past it's been more generic in hopes of not excluding any type of girl but maybe I should go for greater compatibility over sheer quantity.

Please don't think I'm trying to shoot down your suggestions, I'm just trying to expand on them. I welcome further input.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 2:39 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I would be brutally honest with you:

Forget it, your looks are too average for online dating

Maybe but asking girls out in meatspace is hard. Most of the time I don't know if they're single. Some of the single ones want to remain single. There's too much uncertainty

and even if I am going to hit it off with some girl in meatspace at some point, I figure it doesn't hurt to go on Oasis in the meantime since I don't know if or when I'll run into some girl in meatspace.
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Also your change career stop and the incertitude of what to do next (Maybe IT) would scare them off.

Noted. I mostly put that career change stuff in to explain why I quit (didn't want to say I was at my old job when I wasn't). I really did want to change careers but at the time of writing I hadn't worked out the specifics. I've narrowed it down a lot since then so it should be updated without the use of ambiguous terms.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Or had you realize that you don't like this profession altogether or you're simply not good at it?

A bit of both. The biggest reason was because at my last job I wasn't a serious graphic designer and the job itself wasn't a serious job. It only was a part time thing that didn't pay much. I quit not because I wanted more money but because I wanted to get a "proper job".

But yes I wasn't great at doing graphic designs and I didn't enjoy staring at a blank page with artist's block. I think I should do something more technical. Partly because I'm less artistic than I thought I was and partly to get away from all the Mac using, beard growing, jeans wearing hipsters.

I have a slight dislike for the field of graphic design but a much bigger dislike for my specific (ex) job because it wasn't a "proper job". I'm not even sure if they were a proper company. At one point they said they were a nonprofit.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 2:40 am

Rhapsody wrote:
The first thing that struck me was the negativity in your very first line. I mean, it probably wasn't intended to be negative, but I read it as negative which would make me move on to the next dating profile. I know I'm not perfect, but I don't really want it pointed out. xD Might I suggest you soften it? Make it more positive?

Now that is interesting. I hadn't read it that way. I was trying to make it sound like I accepting of imperfection, as all people must be but maybe it gets interpreted differently.
Rhapsody wrote:
On that note, don't tell me you've got a sense of humor. Show me. Actually, you shouldn't have to tell your personality, it ought to be pretty evident from the way you write it. Be specific when you can. People bond over specifics.

I get it, put something funny in there like "seeking player 2" or make the whole thing read like a job offer.
Rhapsody wrote:
I'd suggest to explain more about this ?Den of Geekery?

I suppose I should. I didn't want it to sound like I was boasting about my possessions but perhaps a girl with common interest wouldn't read it that way. Maybe I should tell them about my MAME cabinet and my array of big screen TVs and my hundreds DVDs and blurays and my five decade spanning game collection... or would that be too much?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 2:43 am

Would it look shallow if I put in a picture of me standing next to my car? It's a really cool car :)

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 5:36 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Would it look shallow if I put in a picture of me standing next to my car? It's a really cool car :)

Cars are an extension of the Ego the way I see it. Which is why you want to be on the picture with your car. Because it is part of you.

I would post a picture of my car. And a picture of me. But very unlikely I would use a picture of me with my car as my car is a tool to me and not an extension of me if you get what I mean. So the only time I would post a picture of me with the car is one where it is being used as a tool (picture me getting a large sofa in the boot of a Berlingo).

Someone else mentioned it but you introduce yourself with a negative self-image (imperfect man) and you are looking for someone that has the same negative self image (seeks imperfect woman). Suppose that cuts out the narcissists that think they are a gift to the human race but still, it's negative.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 5:50 am

Here are some of my suggestions. My first is that your main picture looks kind of like a mugshot. The other pictures are kind of small to see but they seem to mostly look better. Try to get a picture where it looks like you're having fun and enjoying yourself! It can be performing some activity, or even standing by your car like you mentioned.

My second suggestion is to set it up less like a list, and make it flow better. Right now it's mostly a list of random qualities about you, like "I like cars, I like games, I like music". Rather than just list your interests, I'd try to flesh them out more. You play keyboard in a band - that's pretty awesome, so talk more about it! Mention how long you've been playing, how often you perform, what type of music you play, etc. I actually think that the second paragraph in your profile is the best part of it. Rather than saying you are looking for a career in "maybe IT", I would say that "I am trying to start a new career in IT" or something along those lines....otherwise it sounds kind of directionless. I would reword the paragraph personally, but I think that it shows that you are committed to trying to change your life for the better and I would keep the overall message the same. I also agree that you should mention what the epiphany you had was.

Lastly, I've never heard of oasis. Depending on how many people in your area are on it, you might be better off on one of the more well-known sites. In my experience most people only stick to the top 3-4 sites and the rest hardly have any members in my area.

In general, I think that you will have a lot more success if you just make a few minor tweaks...I'd say that your profile is *almost* really good, but not there yet.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 6:14 am

Retro, after dealing with several graphic designers myself, I can tell there are basically two types of them: The technical ones, and the artistic ones. I've dealt with two (a guy and a gal) who are both of the artistic type, they draw stuff from scratch, they use creative concepts.....etc; but sometimes they fail at the technical details - such not using the proper color type for a certain type of print paper, not taking into consideration to add bleeding margin to flyer( or even when they do they often mis-estimated it)...etc, sometimes their technical mistakes or not taking the best technical way can be time consuming and costly.
And I've dealt with another one, who lacks in the creativity department - he can't even draw with a pencil, but he is very technical, he knows every feature in the programs he's using, he knows what color type to be used for every paper type, he knows when to use Photoshop, when to use Illustrator when to use others, and when it's better to use combination of all, in web designing he knows which elements are the lightest for loading and which aren't, he knows what are the most efficient routes, he knows what works best on each of IE, Chrome, Firefox, Opera....desktop and mobile ...the smallest of the smallest details --- all in all it was basically easier to work with him even if his final productions lack the wow factor.

One of the two creative fellas works at a school now, the other for an advertising agency; the technical guy ended up working at a huge financial institution, you know, banks and financial institutions don't care much about creativity nor they want funky crazy ideas, what they care most about is functionality, and he was the right candidate for this.

If you are insisting to go IT, you can take courses in web programming perhaps? You can still go little IT without going far from your original profession.
You're 27, so if you gonna take a whole new major, you will be 30 years old when you graduate with zero experience in the field - not so attractive for employers, not to mention your debt.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 9:08 am

guzzle wrote:
Cars are an extension of the Ego the way I see it. Which is why you want to be on the picture with your car. Because it is part of you.

Wait a minute, so you're saying ego is a good thing :??
guzzle wrote:
I would post a picture of my car. And a picture of me.

Maybe that would be OK. I was just reluctant to post my car by itself because I didn't want it to look like I was boasting about it. I just wanted it to look like a picture of me that just happened to have my car in the background. But maybe it would be more honest if I took a photo that explicitly showed my car by itself.

guzzle wrote:
But very unlikely I would use a picture of me with my car as my car is a tool to me and not an extension of me if you get what I mean. So the only time I would post a picture of me with the car is one where it is being used as a tool (picture me getting a large sofa in the boot of a Berlingo).

Maybe I could get away with standing in front of my car. It's not a commercial vehicle like yours and I bought a car that was larger and more powerful than it needed to be yet also sophisticated as a reflection of my personalty.

guzzle wrote:
Someone else mentioned it but you introduce yourself with a negative self-image (imperfect man) and you are looking for someone that has the same negative self image (seeks imperfect woman). Suppose that cuts out the narcissists that think they are a gift to the human race

That's what I thought. I am an imperfect man but I repeat myself. Everyone's imperfect anyway so maybe I don't need to put that part in. I'll think up a different opener.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 9:20 am

Stargazer43 wrote:
Here are some of my suggestions. My first is that your main picture looks kind of like a mugshot. The other pictures are kind of small to see but they seem to mostly look better. Try to get a picture where it looks like you're having fun and enjoying yourself! It can be performing some activity, or even standing by your car like you mentioned.

They all but require the main picture be a mugshot. They won't accept a main picture that has anyone else in it. I cropped the main picture a lot so they could see my face in an icon sized pic. I could upload the uncropped pic but it would still be me standing there. I could try to get some action shots. On the other actual site the thumbnails are clickable so if they really want a more detailed view of my activities they can just click.

Stargazer43 wrote:
My second suggestion is to set it up less like a list, and make it flow better. Right now it's mostly a list of random qualities about you, like "I like cars, I like games, I like music". Rather than just list your interests, I'd try to flesh them out more. You play keyboard in a band - that's pretty awesome, so talk more about it! Mention how long you've been playing, how often you perform, what type of music you play, etc. I actually think that the second paragraph in your profile is the best part of it. Rather than saying you are looking for a career in "maybe IT", I would say that "I am trying to start a new career in IT" or something along those lines....otherwise it sounds kind of directionless. I would reword the paragraph personally, but I think that it shows that you are committed to trying to change your life for the better and I would keep the overall message the same.

Noted.
Stargazer43 wrote:
I also agree that you should mention what the epiphany you had was.

The epiphany wasn't that great. The epiphany was basically me thinking "I'm a complete loser with a crappy job and no girlfriend". I don't think I'll put that in.
Stargazer43 wrote:
Lastly, I've never heard of oasis. Depending on how many people in your area are on it, you might be better off on one of the more well-known sites. In my experience most people only stick to the top 3-4 sites and the rest hardly have any members in my area.

It seems to be really popular in Australia. It lists several thousand vicenarian women living in my city.
Stargazer43 wrote:
In general, I think that you will have a lot more success if you just make a few minor tweaks...I'd say that your profile is *almost* really good, but not there yet.

Then there may be hope for me yet :)

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 9:37 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Retro, after dealing with several graphic designers myself, I can tell there are basically two types of them: The technical ones, and the artistic ones. I've dealt with two (a guy and a gal) who are both of the artistic type, they draw stuff from scratch, they use creative concepts.....etc; but sometimes they fail at the technical details - such not using the proper color type for a certain type of print paper, not taking into consideration to add bleeding margin to flyer( or even when they do they often mis-estimated it)...etc, sometimes their technical mistakes or not taking the best technical way can be time consuming and costly.

Yeah, I remember those types. My supervisors were good at drawing but thought they could increase the resolution of a low res jpg by just increasing the DPI. They also insisted on only measuring the resolution of images by DPI and not pixel dimensions :x

When I was adding a shadow to an illustration and wanted it look right they were completely mystified that I was using basic trig (did they sleep through middle school?)
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
If you are insisting to go IT, you can take courses in web programming perhaps? You can still go little IT without going far from your original profession.
You're 27, so if you gonna take a whole new major, you will be 30 years old when you graduate with zero experience in the field - not so attractive for employers, not to mention your debt.

OK, I need to acquire 50 CC of botox than forge a driver's license that lists my birthday as 1996 :lol:
But seriously. I know you've got a point about me being 30 (probably more, with my grades I'll have to do a diploma before they even let me do a major) and I think you're being more sensible than some of the optimists I've spoken to who tell me age isn't a factor but still, it seems to make little difference. I have virtually no graphic design experience (it was a really low end job, almost non-existent) and also consider I don't have a degree in design either so same difference.