Negative attitudes towards romantic relationships!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 4:30 am

Why do a lot of people have such negative attitudes towards people on the spectrum in regards to forming romantic relationships yet seem so enthusiastic for us to pursue things in academic/job areas of our life?

Whats wrong with us wanting to find happiness huh? :(

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 10:02 pm

That is a VERY good question. My cynical side says people want to keep us at arms' length whilst investing their societal infrastructure in our attention to detail, not unlike eunuchs in the dynastic forbidden city. My optimistic side says most NTs want to empirically understand what we're capable of before getting attached to anyone so fundamentally different. It's a damn shame there's no more room for optimism in this discussion...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 10:09 pm

Perhaps because that's the way we are portrayed - lacking skills in social and romantic relationships, but having superior technical skills.

So, they speak positively about us making the most of our strengths, while expecting us to struggle with our weaknesses, just like everyone else.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 10:14 pm

I think this is about people falsely equating struggle with acute impairment. If there's one thing we're truly incapable of, it's grappling with our weaknesses in the same manner as the rest of humanity.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 10:21 pm

Everyone deserves love and happiness...

just because some people are in a relationship, doesn't mean they're happy! or really in love for that matter!

it is hard though to form relationships, especially when communications a problem but then from what I've seen, NT don't seem to have a relationship that runs smoothly.

I hate it when they portray aspies to have lack of emotions, personally,I feel strongly about things, when I hurt, I hurt deeply, I'm afraid of falling in love one day incase i'd fall deeply in love, some say i'm an oversensitive, I think i'm just an emotional person naturally, from what I've seen others too think deeply and from the way people word things, sounds as if they're really in touch with their emotions, only problem a lot of people have, is expressing it verbally..

Don't know about other aspies but because i'm an introvert and find it hard to express myself in person and communicate, i'd guess people perceive me to be anti social or cold simply for the reason I probably don't give much away in terms of my personality and shut myself off from people in the real world.

I think like NT, we all have something to offer in life and the ability to love another ect...

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 10:31 pm

I'm actually quite extroverted & expressive most days. That said, the unrelenting pressure to remain studious and professional keeps my emotions from entering that stream of consciousness unless I've had a long time to unwind.

Facking alexithymia... :oops: