Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Grue
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jul 2015, 8:39 am

Just found an article in the news about a man in Montana wants to marry a second woman. This was prompted by the recent SCOTUS same-sex marriage decision.

What are your thoughts on polygamy?

Personally, I'm for it. I just took my attitudes from same-sex marriage and applied it to having more than one wife/husband. It doesn't hurt anyone and I see no reason why it shouldn't be legal for those who want more than one spouse.

Me, I'm a card-carrying bisexual. If I were into polygamy and my wife agreed, I'd SO marry a guy while having a wife! But I'm not into it and neither is my wife. So, as you can see, it's not for everyone. If you're against it, don't have one.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

02 Jul 2015, 2:27 pm

I think if couples want to marry a 2nd person they should have the rite thou I only want to marry my girlfriend unless I can marry the iCarly star, Miranda Cosgrove too.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 2:33 pm

I am a descendant and relative of several 19th century polygamists. It was easier then, because of the agrarian nature of self-sufficiency. More wives and children resulted in free labor to expand the enterprise. Today, I suspect it would be tedious and a loss-leader for most families unless they can afford a small farm and even smaller ranch. If all the husbands and wives had children, I doubt the income for those who were employed outside the family wouldn't yield enough resources for the whole family.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jul 2015, 10:59 pm

I have no moral qualms with it. My ex and I actually considered trying to find another person so we could form a polyamorous triad. But nowadays people want a lot out of marriage, so it's really hard to find even one good person, much less multiple.

AspieUtah wrote:
I am a descendant and relative of several 19th century polygamists. It was easier then, because of the agrarian nature of self-sufficiency. More wives and children resulted in free labor to expand the enterprise. Today, I suspect it would be tedious and a loss-leader for most families unless they can afford a small farm and even smaller ranch. If all the husbands and wives had children, I doubt the income for those who were employed outside the family wouldn't yield enough resources for the whole family.

I figure the economy of scale would make polygamy financially advantageous, especially in situations where one of the spouses will be a stay-at-home parent. Granted, I'm thinking of situations with 3-4 adults and 1-6 kids, not something where you'd need a whole hotel as the family home.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 8:07 am

I am not sure if i can be in a polygameous relationship myself, but i have no moral objections.

If all involved parties agree with the situation, i don't see why it should not be allowed to

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 8:45 am

I think that polygamy and polyamory are different things, but I'd be capable of living in a polyamory relationship, and I think polyamory relationships should be allowed just as same sex relationships already are.

Grue
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jul 2015, 9:11 am

I'm bisexual and would LOVE a husband along with a wife!

Katiaflowers83
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jul 2015, 9:55 am

Well it is their life, and if that how couples want to do things that is there business. I only want one girlfriend myself but I don't care what other people do in their love life.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 1:36 pm

with an increasing number of worthless men like myself, it seems the future. women will need to pair off with one guy. ie one guy 2-20 women. now I imagine the one guy will then have to spread his time out which means the women wont' get a true closeness. but I see no other way that all women can get a "real" man with great paying job unless they share him with bunch of other women. of course problem arises when said guys only want one woman, but suppose the others can just be alone and constantly complain about the lack of men

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 1:54 pm

sly279 wrote:
with an increasing number of worthless men like myself, it seems the future. women will need to pair off with one guy. ie one guy 2-20 women. now I imagine the one guy will then have to spread his time out which means the women wont' get a true closeness. but I see no other way that all women can get a "real" man with great paying job unless they share him with bunch of other women. of course problem arises when said guys only want one woman, but suppose the others can just be alone and constantly complain about the lack of men

Nice illustration. Sometimes, taking opinions to their logical conclusions is a great way to help the opinion holder to determine whether the opinions are valid or potentially detrimental to the opinion holder's desired result. Want to humiliate men and insult them? Go ahead, and let's see where that takes you. I hear Saturday nights are just another time to do laundry for many people. Enjoy.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Grue
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jul 2015, 2:10 pm

I think too much credit is being given to those who are actively in a polygamous/polyamorous who are probably redneck bumpkins anyhow, not fortune 500 CEOs or founders looking to divide up his or her take home income and spread it three or more ways. Everyone would, I imagine, pull their own weight.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 2:21 pm

I don't think the point of polyamory is that one man would monopolize multiple women. Rather, it seems more common that polyamory people (of both genders), get an additional partner, and share their time with both of them.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 4:47 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Nice illustration. Sometimes, taking opinions to their logical conclusions is a great way to help the opinion holder to determine whether the opinions are valid or potentially detrimental to the opinion holder's desired result. Want to humiliate men and insult them? Go ahead, and let's see where that takes you. I hear Saturday nights are just another time to do laundry for many people. Enjoy.

o.O

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 4:50 pm

rdos wrote:
I don't think the point of polyamory is that one man would monopolize multiple women. Rather, it seems more common that polyamory people (of both genders), get an additional partner, and share their time with both of them.

currently yes, but I think its going change. I also wouldn't say its one man monopolizing multiple women, but rather multiple women monopolizing one man.

while in the past it was usually one man taking advantage of multiple women as it still is on some middle eastern nation. I'm thinking more of the natural evolution of relationships which is going be polyamory. women will have to move past their ideas of monogamy though. I won't be around to see this, but it is the only solution to the low quality men problem that is continuing to grow.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 6:07 pm

Grue wrote:
I'm bisexual and would LOVE a husband along with a wife!
I would love to have 2 bisexual wives that like eachother as well as me!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 4:56 am

I don't have a problem with polygamy, but I think that insurance and tax benefits etc should be limited to one spouse only.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com