I have a Question About Dating Sites

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 4:06 pm

When you on a dating site & talking to men, dose that mean you dating them or getting to know them?

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 4:16 pm

It depends, but in the initial stages the latter.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 4:28 pm

No - it does not "depend". Talking to people over the internet or the phone IS NOT dating, like "phone dating" in the 90s wasn't dating either. The sole reason for dating sites is to allow people to talk and eventually meet someone for a real date.

Anyone who says they are dating someone without having met them IRL is just as pathetic as having an imaginary girlfriend/boyfriend. However - if you were in a relationship it would be a legit cause for the person you are with to be pissed off and possibly a breakup.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 4:52 pm

Ichinin wrote:
No - it does not "depend". Talking to people over the internet or the phone IS NOT dating, like "phone dating" in the 90s wasn't dating either. The sole reason for dating sites is to allow people to talk and eventually meet someone for a real date.

Anyone who says they are dating someone without having met them IRL is just as pathetic as having an imaginary girlfriend/boyfriend. However - if you were in a relationship it would be a legit cause for the person you are with to be pissed off and possibly a breakup.

Well, obviously. That's why I said it wasn't the case in the initial stages.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 9:41 pm

Ichinin wrote:

Anyone who says they are dating someone without having met them IRL is just as pathetic as having an imaginary girlfriend/boyfriend.

That seems a bit harsh and very incorrect. You can have a relationship via messages or phone. Yes, it's ideal to be able to meet the person and generally the idea in focus. It's not pathetic, some are not blessed with the ability to meet within a decent time frame, alot can be shared via messaging. In my particular case, I can share things most people would never tell anyone in messaging. In my opinion and with my personality, a lengthy relationship via messaging is very ideal so I can inform them of everything about me reducing the possibility of rejection after actually meeting.