Majority of autistuc men dont have a girlfriend?

Page 1 of 30 [ 470 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2024, 11:01 am

I will nearly be 35 in september and never had a proper gf.

Do the majority of men on the spectrum remain single for the rest of there lives?

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2024, 11:18 am

My one and only relationship was for about 4 months in 1995. I have pretty much given up on having another one now.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2024, 11:25 am

Rossall wrote:
My one and only relationship was for about 4 months in 1995. I have pretty much given up on having another one now.

Do you think learning how to hold down a relationship is the issue? I do think as well society has negative stereotypes regarding autistic people and romantic relationships

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2024, 11:38 am

I don't think there is any statistics on the percentage of autistic men having a female partner/girlsfriend/wife. But I think it's fair to say that being autistic, at least as a cis and straight man, makes it harder to form a lasting romatic relationsship with a partner. It can be done and you can be popular with woman if you have other qualities than "allistic social skills" but you would probably be a lot more popular if you had those qulities and were not autistic.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2024, 11:43 am

BillyTree wrote:
I don't think there is any statistics on the percentage of autistic men having a female partner/girlsfriend/wife. But I think it's fair to say that being autistic, at least as a cis and straight man, makes it harder to form a lasting romatic relationsship with a partner. It can be done and you can be popular with woman if you have other qualities than "allistic social skills" but you would probably be a lot more popular if you had those qulities and were not autistic.

I think women have it easier than men in the early attraction stages which gives way to more experience. An awkward guy is bound to have the door slammed in his face.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2024, 11:46 am

It’s not easy for women either. There are many different ways in which the early stages can be challenging for people.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2024, 11:51 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
It’s not easy for women either. There are many different ways in which the early stages can be challenging for people.

In what ways do you think early attraction stages can be hard?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2024, 12:00 pm

They can be hard for people in an infinite number of ways. We all have specific strengths and weaknesses. When we find one thing the most difficult, we could have trouble seeing how someone might find something else equally difficult.

In the past, I struggled with selective mutism. Beyond that, I’m generally so shy, awkward, and anxious it’s hard for me to demonstrate interest or to even open up to people about anything. I do okay with small talk, and I’m a great listener, but I have trouble sharing much beyond that which leads people to understandably conclude that I’m not interested.

If people experienced previous abuse, the may be wary or hypervigilant too which can make connecting with someone else difficult as well.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 02 Jul 2024, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SailorsGuy12
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jul 2024, 12:09 pm

If it counts, I had one girlfriend for just short of a year, a few years ago. I'm 32, and for all my life besides that, I was always single or didn't have a GF.

"Capitalism" or free-market != oppression

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2024, 12:13 pm

SailorsGuy12 wrote:
If it counts, I had one girlfriend for just short of a year, a few years ago. I'm 32, and for all my life besides that, I was always single or didn't have a GF.

Why do you struggle so much with getting a gf?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2024, 6:36 am

Jamesy wrote:

Do the majority of men on the spectrum remain single for the rest of there lives?

The reason why I am single is because there's no good church of Christ woman that I have met that I am compatible with where I live not because I have Asperger's.

SkinnyElephant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2024, 8:51 am

Jamesy wrote:
Rossall wrote:

Do you think learning how to hold down a relationship is the issue? I do think as well society has negative stereotypes regarding autistic people and romantic relationships

I'd say it's a combination of: Too socially awkward to get a relationship in the first place. Too many quirks to maintain a relationship on the off chance we get a relationship.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2024, 10:49 pm

Jamesy wrote:

what do you define by proper girlfriend? but yeah, over the years, that either seems to be the norm or just common for men on the autism spectrum, to remain chronically alone, single, later than normal, or they don't get their first girlfriend until late in life, like later 20s, or especially 30+

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2024, 12:14 am

I haven't really known any autistic folks in real life, but there was an acquaintance of my late partner who had two autistic sons and we ran into them in the lobby of a theater in the intermission of a performance. They were in their late teens at the time. One of the sons came up to me and stood just inches from my face and didn't say anything. I don't know if he realized how off-putting this was. I assume he didn't realize. He wasn't doing anything bad but it just came off as odd and uncomfortable. I think there are autistic behaviors that come off as weird and that need to be explicitly unlearned, so as to not do them. I don't know if social skills classes are available to many or if they even address things like this. Maybe acting classes would help? They might help to become aware of one's outward behavior and how it's perceived and work on changing it, at least its most outward manifestations. I think it's these subtleties that create problems for people with ASD. I don't think anyone needs to change who they are.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2024, 1:10 am

Relationships are often initiated by non verbal communication.
Someone who is autistic may not relalize that a potential partner is signalling them non-verbally and thus ignores the overtures that person is making.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

06 Jul 2024, 9:13 am

bee33 wrote:
I don't know if social skills classes are available to many or if they even address things like this. Maybe acting classes would help?
Perhaps something like cotillion classes :chin: I have no experience with that but I've heard they teach structured social interaction related to dating. Not sure how common they are nowadays but they're probably more common in the south.

SkinnyElephant wrote:
Jamesy wrote:

I'd say it's a combination of: Too socially awkward to get a relationship in the first place. Too many quirks to maintain a relationship on the off chance we get a relationship.
I think I'm a lot better at maintaining a serious relationship than getting a relationship. My quirks & issues would likely scare someone off once they learn about them before things get very serious. Plus some things are better for me being in a serious relationship instead of being single.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition