The Connection between Long-term Singlehood & previous...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 5:41 pm

Romantic history

I am beginning to think that maybe part of the explanation for why MANY people are currently single is because of their lack of history or experience with romantic relationships!! !

Surely, there must be studies that were commissioned to back this up?

I mean it makes sense for that to be the main root cause for this Single Epidemic we currently have going on

Right?

Is the probability for getting into a relationship/getting married higher or changes depending on if someone has romantic history with previous partners?

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!! !

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 6:07 pm

I found this study

Does this back up my theory or prove that there is a connection?

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 6:19 pm

Why did you delete your post TP?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 6:32 pm

I wanted to write out a more well-thought out and detailed post when I have a bit more time/mental capacity for it. What I wrote in my original post was: People can by single for lots of different reasons.

I will add that not having experience with dating or relationships could certainly be a factor for some people. I think the study you posted was about people who were voluntarily single. That's a bit different although some of the factors related to that could be similar, especially prioritizing other things or having negative experiences with dating/relationships in the past.

Other possibilities: maybe they haven't met the right person, maybe they experienced abuse in a previous relationship, maybe they need to work on themselves a bit, maybe they have unrealistic expectations, or maybe it's a combination of factors. Those are just a few things, but there are certainly many other reasons why someone could be single.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 6:40 pm

Oh okay

Here is a better study!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 7:01 pm

^ Yeah, I was just thinking that shyness can be a big factor for some folks (like me at different points).

Quote:
[W]e found that lower scores in extraversion were associated with higher probability to be involuntarily single than in an intimate relationship, and with more prolonged spells of singlehood.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2024, 8:24 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I wanted to write out a more well-thought out and detailed post when I have a bit more time/mental capacity for it. What I wrote in my original post was: People can by single for lots of different reasons.

I will add that not having experience with dating or relationships could certainly be a factor for some people. I think the study you posted was about people who were voluntarily single. That's a bit different although some of the factors related to that could be similar, especially prioritizing other things or having negative experiences with dating/relationships in the past.

Other possibilities: maybe they haven't met the right person, maybe they experienced abuse in a previous relationship, maybe they need to work on themselves a bit, maybe they have unrealistic expectations, or maybe it's a combination of factors. Those are just a few things, but there are certainly many other reasons why someone could be single.

these are valid reasons, but the ones you haven't mentioned is that people avoid or don't talk to them because they aren't good looking, presentable or they sound like people who are not socially skilled. I do personal experiments all the time in groups setting and watch people's reactions based on their facial responses.