Reading books in opposite sofas 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Visiting a craft brewery 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3

barbaroja
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Oct 2024, 8:16 am

Hey everyone,

I’m currently in the process of getting diagnosed with autism level 1, and at the same time, I’ve made all the arrangements to propose to my girlfriend of almost 2 years this November! She’s neurotypical, loves social gatherings that seem to last forever, and while we’ve done a good job of understanding each other’s preferences and priorities, I can’t help but worry about how things will change once we’re married.

I’m 36 (M) and have decided to finally pursue a diagnosis, even though it comes with risks and uncertainties, especially when it comes to my family, my girlfriend, and her family. Having a diagnosis can feel like wearing a label, and legally, it’s seen as a disability. But despite all that, I think it’s crucial for me to understand myself better and be as prepared as possible, especially when it comes to raising children.

For those who were diagnosed later in life and are married, how do you navigate these challenges? How has having a diagnosis helped or complicated your relationship?