Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 3:22 pm

This may be linked to the fact that english is my second language, but I am slightly confused about one of the englis terms:

To have a crush on someone... Crush what now? Where does crushing enter the picture? Do I even wanna know? 8O

I used to think it was just another word for being in love, but it would seem it isn't, at least that is what a conversation with an english friend of mine has lead me to believe. I will not trouble you with the conversation in its entirety, but at one point he told me that when he was younger (like a child) he had a crush on the little mermaide (Can't really blame him, she is hawt... well her top half anyway) I didn't think about it at the time, but he clearly didn't mean that he was in love with a cartoon character.

Anyway... my question is; what is a crush to you? And for good fun, feel free to include any silly crushes you have had (Little mermaide style)

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 3:25 pm

a crush is baby love..;) it's a sudden infatuation with someone, just being really attracted. Usually used by women more than men, it's also more of an adolescent thing.

boy that doesn't help non-English speakers...;) A crush is like you're really interested in someone, but they may not know it. You want to be with them, and see if something happens, but you don't know if they'll like you or not. But you'd really like to find out...;)

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 3:25 pm

Eek!

Run.

Its slang for she wants to beat you up. "Crush you". Yes, I know, horrible. Run

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

02 Mar 2008, 3:29 pm

It just means an attraction.

If used in reference to a real person, it usually indicates a pretty powerful attraction. Also, probably the other person doesn't know, doesn't return the feelings, or else there are other reasons for not acting on the attraction. If two people who have a strong attraction to each other are in some sort of relationship with each other, the attraction is no longer called a crush, except maybe in jest.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 3:32 pm

Stop the lies! He is going to become seriously injured after he is crushed. Pancake flat. SMASH

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

02 Mar 2008, 3:40 pm

I won't lie. Serious injury is a distinct possibility in the event of a crush. :lol:

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 5:16 pm

pakled wrote:
a crush is baby love..;) it's a sudden infatuation with someone, just being really attracted. Usually used by women more than men, it's also more of an adolescent thing.

boy that doesn't help non-English speakers...;) A crush is like you're really interested in someone, but they may not know it. You want to be with them, and see if something happens, but you don't know if they'll like you or not. But you'd really like to find out...;)

...dude... why are you winking at me? 8O Seriously though, how is that different from being in love?

gwenevyn wrote:
It just means an attraction.

If used in reference to a real person, it usually indicates a pretty powerful attraction. Also, probably the other person doesn't know, doesn't return the feelings, or else there are other reasons for not acting on the attraction. If two people who have a strong attraction to each other are in some sort of relationship with each other, the attraction is no longer called a crush, except maybe in jest.

So a crush is only a crush if you don't act on it? And if you do act on it it turns into a regular feeling of being in love? Is this understanding it right?

Kalister1 wrote:
Its slang for she wants to beat you up. "Crush you". Yes, I know, horrible. Run

It sure is an odd way of describing an attraction, but no stranger than the danish; brandt varm på nogen (Burned hot on somebody) That doesn't exactly sound plesant either.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

02 Mar 2008, 5:22 pm

AndersTheAspie wrote:

So a crush is only a crush if you don't act on it? And if you do act on it it turns into a regular feeling of being in love? Is this understanding it right?

Hmm... not exactly. I think if the feelings become deeper and less selfish, they can be called "love" (or something else), even if you never act on it. To me the word "crush" implies that it will end eventually, that the feelings are a bit flighty, silly, or uncertain.

I'm not very good at explaining words, I guess.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 5:31 pm

AndersTheAspie wrote:
It sure is an odd way of describing an attraction, but no stranger than the danish; brandt varm på nogen (Burned hot on somebody) That doesn't exactly sound plesant either.

That is pretty much what it means. The concept is about the same.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 5:39 pm

I'm not winking, I'm just being witty. Sounds like I'm having about as much success as usual..;)

roguetech
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2008, 7:35 pm

Quick Google reveals it was a term for chewing, i.e. eat..... i.e. she's delectable.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 8:14 pm

Please ignore Kalister1's teasing. I don't know what rouguetech is talking about. The others are accurate.

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 1:45 am

gwenevyn wrote:
Hmm... not exactly. I think if the feelings become deeper and less selfish, they can be called "love" (or something else), even if you never act on it. To me the word "crush" implies that it will end eventually, that the feelings are a bit flighty, silly, or uncertain.

I'm not very good at explaining words, I guess.

Flighty, silly or uncertain, that makes sense, and I surpose this was what pakled meant by "baby love" as well. Thank you all for helping clear that up (Even Kalister1, good to know that I'm not the only one who can see how it could be (mis)understod.)

parkled wrote:
I'm not winking, I'm just being witty. Sounds like I'm having about as much success as usual.. :wink:

You are winking again you know :D now I don't know how much success you usually have at being witty, but it didn't go undetected by me if that is what you thought :wink:

roguetech
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2008, 9:09 am

I am talking about the etymology of the word. It doesn't mean to squish something, but to grind up..., which is analogous to chewing. So I would imagine that is how it became slang for adoring someone, since delectable means basically the same thing, as well as "tasty", or the phrase "I could eat them up", etc. Or the slightly crudder, but more direct, "I want to eat you", or "I want to lick you all over".

AndersTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2008, 9:49 am

roguetech wrote:
I am talking about the etymology of the word. It doesn't mean to squish something, but to grind up..., which is analogous to chewing. So I would imagine that is how it became slang for adoring someone, since delectable means basically the same thing, as well as "tasty", or the phrase "I could eat them up", etc. Or the slightly crudder, but more direct, "I want to eat you", or "I want to lick you all over".

Those are pretty disturbing terms as well... 8O

roguetech
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2008, 10:55 am

Quote:
Those are pretty disturbing terms as well... 8O
If licking someone all over is distrurbing, then it's not a language issue :P