Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 1:16 pm

For example, someone might be afraid to admit they love someone with Asperger's syndrome because they think the person with AS is perceived as having low social worth to their friends and family. Also, saying you love someone in itself takes a bit of courage because you may be rejected or subjected to ridicule. Would you guys say love necessarily requires courage?

Xercies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Aug 2008, 1:46 pm

Well asking them to have a coffee with you definitly needs some kind of courage, so yes you do need courage. i always have this problem with asking a girl out. But having said that, if your doing ti online and you strike up a relationship there then it may not need much courage as you think. And when you meet you would already know how they are kind of like so you will be comfortable with them.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 3:53 pm

i dont know what a love is. but if someone has a problem to say that he/she is in love with an aspie then the someone has some other issues if giving an importance to what others think. i would love to know what it is like to be in love.

gray_imagination
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Aug 2008, 4:49 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Would you guys say love necessarily requires courage?

I would say that requited love does require courage. Love can be its own source at times, but, love always involves risk. Aspies involved or not, rejection from all kinds of angles is possible as well as other consequences.

tomamil wrote:
i dont know what a love is. but if someone has a problem to say that he/she is in love with an aspie then the someone has some other issues if giving an importance to what others think. i would love to know what it is like to be in love.

Love is a spectrum beyond even that of what autism is, I think. My theory is no one who says "I love you too" ever means it the same way as the person who said "I love you", through no fault of either party, its just so very personal its always ifferent from one moment to the next and from one person as the next.

And admitting to loving someone different or unexpected or whatever, I think, probably can be hard for some people in a similar way that admitting to being different can be. Its not the same, of course, and one would hope that this hypothetical person would, after some thought, decide that love in open is worth the risk, but, neurotypical people by nature are more concerned with what others think.

As for what being in love is like, again, it depends on the kind of love. Good luck with that, some would argue you're better off NOT knowing. But, as my friend always says, "its' better to have loved and lost than to be mauled by a badger." Though she's firmly aromantic.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 6:08 pm

Any love will require courage at some point. Bceause even with the perfect person, there will be trials that you must face together. And with someone not perfect for you, there will be things you don't like that you must work through. And sometimes even getting over the first hurdle to declare your love will need courage - or to do something with a partner that you wouldn't ordinarily.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 6:43 pm

Love requires courage, so that you can voluntarily make yourself vulnerable to the one you love.

If you are not willing to risk humiliation, heartbreak, and so forth, then love is not for you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 7:38 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Would you guys say love necessarily requires courage?

No but expressing it does.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 10:28 pm

Fnord wrote:
Love requires courage, so that you can voluntarily make yourself vulnerable to the one you love.

If you are not willing to risk humiliation, heartbreak, and so forth, then love is not for you.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 9:23 am

It does, but "love favours the brave". Just compare this with a big valley with a gorge (I hope I spell this correctly): if you jump over the gorge you risk to fall down and get seriously hurt, if you don't jump then you avoid this risk. But ask yourself: is to reach that other side what you want?? If the answer is YES, then you need to have the guts and take that risk if you want to reach your target :!: (unless you are extremely lucky that someone else takes the leap and all you need to do is say YES to the offer coming your way - but this is not the scenario most people face)

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

EnglishLulu
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 4:43 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
For example, someone might be afraid to admit they love someone with Asperger's syndrome because they think the person with AS is perceived as having low social worth to their friends and family. Also, saying you love someone in itself takes a bit of courage because you may be rejected or subjected to ridicule. Would you guys say love necessarily requires courage?

Yes, because true love is selfless, it requires trust.

It's like one of those trust/confidence/team building exercises where a person has to fall back and trust that the other person will be there to prevent them falling. So, yes, that's requires courage. You have to lean back and let yourself fall and trust that the other person will be there to 'catch you' and that does require courage.