Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 8:04 pm

As per request.

This thread is for people to post their latest successes in the field of Love and Dating. We can encourage each other and feel encouraged by other peoples achievements, and also hopefully gain new insight. :D

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 8:23 pm

awwwh, if this had been made a little while ago i would've just posted my bit up here instead of making a thread about it because i consider making my girlfriend feel special and loved is one of my better successes.

Also, we celebrate 10 months today :).

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 8:43 pm

Thanks for suggesting putting it up :) - I agree, that is a great success! I hope to be able to do that for any partner I am able to find in the future

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 8:44 pm

Congrats, Sean. I hope all is well with you and yours.

Here's a bit of my own good news and success:

Tomorrow and Sunday my wife and I are celebrating our "5/11" anniversary--5 years married, been together 11 years (began dating on October 16, got married on October 15. We have two AWESOME children, and right now we're in a hotel room just outside New Orleans. They're in their bed right now fighting over who deserves to get more covers. I'm cheering for my daughter, our youngest.

I like to think I've got this whole relationship thing mastered, though I will admit that it is always an ongoing process. We actually DO talk about the relationship itself and try to keep conversation open about where we are personally and together from day to day. That has really helped, and there are few (if any) secrets between us. And, of course, I enjoy talking about it. If any aspies would like some practical advice on how to handle NTs (or any NTs need to know how to handle aspies!), I'm always glad to respond to PMs should anyone need any help or "tips and tricks."

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 8:58 pm

AngelRho wrote:

Tomorrow and Sunday my wife and I are celebrating our "5/11" anniversary--5 years married, been together 11 years (began dating on October 16, got married on October 15. We have two AWESOME children, and right now we're in a hotel room just outside New Orleans. They're in their bed right now fighting over who deserves to get more covers. I'm cheering for my daughter, our youngest.

I like to think I've got this whole relationship thing mastered, though I will admit that it is always an ongoing process. We actually DO talk about the relationship itself and try to keep conversation open about where we are personally and together from day to day. That has really helped, and there are few (if any) secrets between us. And, of course, I enjoy talking about it. If any aspies would like some practical advice on how to handle NTs (or any NTs need to know how to handle aspies!), I'm always glad to respond to PMs should anyone need any help or "tips and tricks."

Congrats, you're a lucky guy :)
i only hope my relationship lasts at least that long as well.
nothing's really certain since she's still doing chemotherapy, but her chances are good and the doctor's optomistic.
Although might not be able to have kids in the future 'cause there's a good chance the chemo will make her infertile, so we're both kinda bummed about that.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 9:00 pm

Seanmw wrote:
Although might not be able to have kids in the future 'cause there's a good chance the chemo will make her infertile, so we're both kinda bummed about that.

Look at it this way, you can have as much unprotected sex with her as you want and never have to worry about unwanted pregnancies.

I know, im the last person you'd expect to try and find the best out of a bad situation, but i thought id put that one out there...

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 9:07 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Seanmw wrote:

Look at it this way, you can have as much unprotected sex with her as you want and never have to worry about unwanted pregnancies.

I know, im the last person you'd expect to try and find the best out of a bad situation, but i thought id put that one out there...

true. It doesn't make too much of a dent in the sadness.
But yes, not needing a condom would be rather nifty.
i hear the sex feels alot better without one on.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 9:12 pm

Seanmw wrote:

This is where I'd want to fly off the handle... you guys have each other, and judging on your own attitude towards this development, I'd say you guys are going to have each other for a long, long time. That's more than I have to show for my efforts... even if you are destined to never have children, you know that there will be someone that loves you for quite possibly the rest of your life. I won't ever be able to know what actually having that feels like...

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2010, 9:48 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Seanmw wrote:

This is where I'd want to fly off the handle... you guys have each other, and judging on your own attitude towards this development, I'd say you guys are going to have each other for a long, long time. That's more than I have to show for my efforts... even if you are destined to never have children, you know that there will be someone that loves you for quite possibly the rest of your life. I won't ever be able to know what actually having that feels like...

i'm sure you'll find someone someday.
Many people find the person who's right for them by random chance.
it was like that for me.

& at least i hope i have her for a long long time. They think the recovery's going alright, but there's always that chance that the cancer could come back if the chemo's not effective enough ://...

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 1:59 am

Seanmw wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

nothing's really certain since she's still doing chemotherapy, but her chances are good and the doctor's optomistic.

There are ways; egg donation, adoption. I know it's probably a little early in your relationship to be thinking along those lines but putting it out there, if you want to have a family together you will be able to no matter what. :) I hope and pray her health does improve, having cancer at such a young age is a terrible thing, she must have incredible inner strength to be getting through it.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 5:35 pm

sunshower wrote:
Seanmw wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

There are ways; egg donation, adoption. I know it's probably a little early in your relationship to be thinking along those lines but putting it out there, if you want to have a family together you will be able to no matter what. :) I hope and pray her health does improve, having cancer at such a young age is a terrible thing, she must have incredible inner strength to be getting through it.
yeah, i know it's a little early to be thinking along those lines, i'm not neccessarily thinking about it anytime real soon. Though i do want to have kids someday down the road, so thanks for the suggestions.
egg donation? that's a new one to me, i've never really heard of it.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 6:00 pm

Seanmw wrote:
sunshower wrote:
Seanmw wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

yeah, i know it's a little early to be thinking along those lines, i'm not neccessarily thinking about it anytime real soon. Though i do want to have kids someday down the road, so thanks for the suggestions.

I personally was conceived via the GIFT procedure - that's a form of IVF, where they take eggs out of the mother's womb, and sperm from the father, then mix sperm in with the eggs in a petrie dish, then implant some eggs back inside the mother's fallopian tubes. And I turned out just fine! :lol: I'm not sure whether this works if you're infertile though.

But egg donation is basically as the name implies; getting a close female friend/family member to donate an egg, which is then mixed with the father's sperm (via IVF) and implanted in the mother.

But yeah, not trying to freak you out with all of this talk of children, but it might make your girlfriend feel better to know that there are other options in the distant future for her no matter what.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 6:11 pm

sunshower wrote:
Seanmw wrote:
sunshower wrote:
Seanmw wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

I personally was conceived via the GIFT procedure - that's a form of IVF, where they take eggs out of the mother's womb, and sperm from the father, then mix sperm in with the eggs in a petrie dish, then implant some eggs back inside the mother's fallopian tubes. And I turned out just fine! :lol: I'm not sure whether this works if you're infertile though.

But egg donation is basically as the name implies; getting a close female friend/family member to donate an egg, which is then mixed with the father's sperm (via IVF) and implanted in the mother.

But yeah, not trying to freak you out with all of this talk of children, but it might make your girlfriend feel better to know that there are other options in the distant future for her no matter what.
hmmm, interesting :?
though she doesn't have too many close friends and her best friend is asian. Not a racist comment, just pointing out that it'd look kinda weird to have 2 white parents and an asian baby without some speculation :P .

Also, she's an only child so she doesn't have any sisters as far as close family donors go. i'm not sure about cousins though.

in any case, i'll be sure to let her know about this stuff, thanks

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2010, 11:16 pm

There is also adoption.

Tsiiki
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2010, 11:58 pm

They also have places (websites, newspapers, ads, etc) where you can request an egg donor of certain characteristics... to get one say blond and blue-eyed who is athletic, if thats what your gf is like, so it matches up better... there is a fee/incentive you pay, so definitely something more expensive and down the road, but always an option (I've looked into donating eggs myself... can make a fair bit of money off of it, but process just seems weird....)

But no worries! Just live in the present for now and enjoy each moment you can~ She'll be fine, and later on you guys can discuss and look into different options for getting children :3