Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 9:03 pm

This isn't really drugs or smoking-type peer pressure, but here's some stuff I've been pressured to do lately:

I'm black and my mom's been pressuring me to get into this black pride-type stuff.
To get interested in stuff music, politics, reality-type stuff, current events, etc.
To be some over-materialistic person (even though my family's not rich).
To not care about stuff like autism, closing logos, computers, or any of the stuff I like.
To be super-interested in school stuff.
I've always been pressured to lose weight, too (I'm overweight, BTW).
To go out and travel a lot of more (even though my family can't afford it most of the time)
To get a job.
To be more social.
To be perfect.
To be normal and to pretend to be someone I'm not.

I can go with this for hours.

Also, one more thing, I have this trouble saying "no" to people, so that makes it tough, too.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 11:51 pm

None of those things are bad, but don't do those things if you don't want to. Don't let anyone pressure you into things you don't want to do. Let the "in crowd" or whatever they call themselves have their fun.

I'd better stop before I start ranting, I don't want to restart my war with the "in crowd" again. :x

But that being said, some of those things are things I want to do, not because someone else is in them, but they're things I think will make me happier. Stick with what would make you happy. :)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 11:55 pm

I have, numerous times.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 12:31 am

yes, I have.

I do it every time I don't stim, or stare, or guffaw noisily. I do it when I bite my tongue instead of telling people when they say 'how are you?' I do it when I count to 10 and breathe instead of wanting to scream at people they are such idiots. . .

Giving in to Peer Pressure is my whole life.

Merle

BigSnoopy126
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2008, 3:02 pm

At the end of 9th grade a bunch of kids were saying that "everyone" was trying out for sports. I checked "golf" because with my physical handicaps it's obvious I couldnt' do anything else.

Coach of the high school golf team called and said when tryouts were in August. i just came out and said, "Sorry, I just sign my name because a bunch of kids were pressuring me to sign up for something." I did join the speech team (I'm actually good at extemporaneous speaking, but I can't see the audience very well even 10 feet away). But, that's because I want to.

If your mother's pressuring you to get involved in something, maybe you can work out a compromise. For instance, if she's pushing black pride, do some research into some of the black pioneers in areas you like. I don't know if there are any prominent black inventors in the computer realm, but I'm sure there are somewhere. ISTR a black person invented the gas mask, and there are plenty of other prominent inventors who just happen to have been black.

If you're really interested in autism, perhaps you can do some research into its effects on the black community and find ways to raise awareness among everyone about the added problems minorities face if they also have an autism-spectrum condition.

That way, to you, you would be pursuing your interests, but to her, you would be getting more invovled int he community and helping people. I would guesss that's a positive to her.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 3:39 pm

roygerdodger wrote:
This isn't really drugs or smoking-type peer pressure, but here's some stuff I've been pressured to do lately:

I'm black and my mom's been pressuring me to get into this black pride-type stuff.
To get interested in stuff music, politics, reality-type stuff, current events, etc.
To not care about stuff like autism, closing logos, computers, or any of the stuff I like.
To go out and travel a lot of more (even though my family can't afford it most of the time)
To get a job.
To be more social.
To be perfect.

Also, one more thing, I have this trouble saying "no" to people, so that makes it tough, too.

People are always pressuring me to exercise more, to be more social, to be 'normal.' I wish they would just mind their own business.

What's your favorite closing logo?

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 2:04 am

Not so much just by everyone else in general... if there's something I really didn't want to do, no sheer number of people could convince me to do it. However, in some cases, my friends have gotten me to go along with them... or at least not go against them. I've been pressured more times than I care to count into giving them money or paying for everything. There were also some things that I said or at least pretended to go along with that I'm not really proud of in retrospect because I'm afraid of rejection. Probably they weren't that bad, but still, I should've disassociated myself from some of these people rather than agreeing or acting like I agreed with them to keep things calm.

Otherwise, though, I've fought tooth and nail about things I didn't want to do when it was imposed by parents, teachers, doctors or schoolmates in general. If I happened to be doing something that most people did, it was because I wanted to, not because it was popular or whatever.

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 2:26 am

Aurore wrote:
roygerdodger wrote:

To get a job.
To be more social.
To be perfect.

People are always pressuring me to exercise more, to be more social, to be 'normal.' I wish they would just mind their own business.

What's your favorite closing logo?

I got too many favorite closing logos!

Ashley1984
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jul 2008, 4:37 am

Hi!

Being pressured into somethig by parents is not nice.

I'm not black but I have a physical disability which makes my parents want to "normalise" me a lot.
They will not accept that I might have Asperger's which gives me impaired social skills, thus making it hard to go along with their frantic ideas about getting me to spend more time with friends and do what they are doing.

Have you tried to talk to your mother about this? Maybe, if you showed her what you wrote here, she would understand better? I don't know!

I wish you good luck...

Ashley

GNRfan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jul 2008, 11:04 pm

Occasionally yes, in both good and bad ways ,some of my friends actually helped my overcome (what we all thought was my shyness and ADD then) my AS problems back when by pressuring me into doing things i didn't want to ,sure they taunted and upset me into doing them but honestly im glad now that i reflect back.