Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Heartcooksbrain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2009, 5:56 pm

That I like to walk around at night anywhere from 10pm to 12am? I do it because I don't usually get out much and to restrengthen my knees which I have injured. My family members thinks it's wierd, and I know they always talk about me when I'm away about how I'm probably getting drugs, around a bunch of wierdos (homeless people ooh so wierd), ect... I woke up just a moment ago to wash my clothes so I could go out in daylight and I get this from a faily member: "What you getting ready for your night run, getting your drugs?" It really hurts my feelings because I'm trying to better myself and be more comfortable outside not get drugs or associate with people who have bad intentions.

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 6:07 pm

I take late evening strolls for several reasons. First, it's dark and quiet, which my senses prefer. Second, it's relaxing, and I can enjoy the stars if the weather allows. And last, I prefer solitude, and most people are in at night, not out, so I can be out and alone.

I'm an adult and live on my own, so my family hasn't had occasion to notice or comment.

Heartcooksbrain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2009, 6:16 pm

yes, I just love to walk around, some times listening to music. It's a nice change from being inside, I especially enjoy the fresh air. I've been trying to find a place of my own for awhile now. I see it the only way to self succeed and get on with my life. Getting harrassed every time I'm trying to better myself, I just can't take it anymore. I'm afraid my family will never understand what it is like to have aspergers, and they will never really listen to what I say. It's like they don't even know me...

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 6:38 pm

Your family members are probably joking, I know my mom and sister tease me all the time about stuff like that. If it offends you, just ask them to stop nicely.
I'm scared of being outside by myself (unless I'm at school) in the daytime, nighttime would be even more frightening.

Heartcooksbrain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2009, 7:17 pm

I can say with 100 percent confidence that it was not in jest. My family members are often bitter people. This is not the first time this has hapened, something of similar manner happens each and every day. We barely talk now, and when we do it's usually my family member/s insulting me, giving orders, and then I get pissed off, depressed, and walk away. Nothing I say will ever stop the harrassment. I've even bluntly told one of my family members to stop harrassing me after they kept following me and putting me down, but she just mocked me and put me down again. She always has to have the last word. I don't even know why I'm typing about this. I just have to tough it out until I leave. But they will regret how they treated me when im gone... because I will always be gone to them.

Fintan29
Toucan
Toucan

20 Aug 2009, 7:22 pm

I find it terrible the way you're just accused of such a thing without any sort of proof.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Aug 2009, 8:27 pm

No, of course taking a late night walk is not odd. It's not the most popular time of day, which is one of the things that makes it pleasant. I guess maybe that, to the extent that we're in the minority, people are going to say that we are odd. But odd is a judgmental word. I've never had much luck with judgmental people, sorry to say.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 8:43 pm

Heartcooksbrain wrote:
I can say with 100 percent confidence that it was not in jest. My family members are often bitter people. This is not the first time this has hapened, something of similar manner happens each and every day. We barely talk now, and when we do it's usually my family member/s insulting me, giving orders, and then I get pissed off, depressed, and walk away. Nothing I say will ever stop the harrassment. I've even bluntly told one of my family members to stop harrassing me after they kept following me and putting me down, but she just mocked me and put me down again. She always has to have the last word. I don't even know why I'm typing about this. I just have to tough it out until I leave. But they will regret how they treated me when im gone... because I will always be gone to them.
Oh, okay, sorry. Just the way you said it made it sound like it was in jest, but if they have a history of being judgemental, that changes the way you look at it. I think you shouldn't be ashamed of taking walks at night. I would move out as soon as possible, and when you do, you should keep little to no contact with them if they treat you this way. I know I had to do that with my father.

WoodenNickel
Toucan
Toucan

20 Aug 2009, 8:55 pm

In grad school, I would take walks by myself around 8 or 9 for about 1hour. Occasionally, one of my friends would join me. I would visit other friends and walk home at 2 a.m. Yes, it was unusual. Well, walking anywhere was unusual. But was it an Aspie thing? I don't know. The friend who joined me was NT.

Android
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2009, 10:29 pm

I like going for my walks at night because it feels more private and the moon and stars make everything more beautiful, I think. There's nothing odd about it. If your family is harassing you do you get upset and argue back? If they just want to get a reaction out of you, you shouldn't reward them with a response.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 10:49 pm

It might be a little statistically unusual, but I think 'odd' is pushing it. In the southern USA I remember relatives going for strolls in the evening (way past sunset); seemed like a common thing down there.

I don't know if it's the same, but when I worked the graveyard shift, I loved going grocery shopping (& other shopping) at midnight. The dark like a big blanket, and the few people about, and the sleep-deprived tranquility of the store workers was sort of relaxing/calming (and a lot better than in the daytime).

Heartcooksbrain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2009, 10:54 pm

Ebec that is what I hope to do. It's so hard though with basically no support from friends and even family.

Wooden I don't think it's an AS thing. I've often done the same exact thing with NT friends.

Android, I always get upset. It is so constant and repettitive it's hard not too. I don't always respond though, it's just that is what gets them going more to where they keep harrassing me. It seriously feels like I'm being followed by a school bully some times. These two always think they are right, so I cannot even talk to them about it. If I say something they don't like they will insult me, threaten to not do anything for me due to having no respect (what do they do besides let me live under a roof, and is it worth the hardship I'm forced to live with..), or my favorite and every small child's fav choice, to go "blablabla", or something of that sort loudly to block out what I say and walk away.

I've went on two walks since making this post. I also told my family that I am going to get a bag of meth and talk to some strange people for a couple hours... haha but I won't really. They sure liked that one though. I'll be going on my third walk later tonight... Would be sweet if I knew any other AS people here that like to walk. None of my NT friends enjoy walking. They all have cars.

Shaqn
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Aug 2009, 12:02 am

If they find you going out for walks at 10pm-12am odd, I'm curious as to what they'd think of me.

I tend to go out for walks/bike rides anywhere from 12am-5am for about 2-3 hours at a time and sometimes while walking I'll walk the rest of the way home backwards, which takes longer than usual obviously.

It's very refreshing to get outside and stretch your legs without a single person or a rare car outside. I tend to get a lot more thinking done than I normally would moping around at home. I find, though, that I tend to dig the deepest into my thoughts when I talk to myself out loud in a french accent.

Heartcooksbrain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2009, 12:20 am

Shaqn wrote:
If they find you going out for walks at 10pm-12am odd, I'm curious as to what they'd think of me.

I tend to go out for walks/bike rides anywhere from 12am-5am for about 2-3 hours at a time and sometimes while walking I'll walk the rest of the way home backwards, which takes longer than usual obviously.

It's very refreshing to get outside and stretch your legs without a single person or a rare car outside. I tend to get a lot more thinking done than I normally would moping around at home. I find, though, that I tend to dig the deepest into my thoughts when I talk to myself out loud in a french accent.
Oh they'd freak haha... I do the same thing though, aside from walking backwards. I tend to get a lot of thinking done in the bathroom, specifically on the toilet or just laying down. Dunno why, but it's relaxing... I think it's due to the fact that nobody likes talking to someone who says they are ********.:D. Walking, I dunno, while I am very anxious, and my thoughts are racing it feels nice sometimes to just be out there... out of my usual shell.

Heartcooksbrain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2009, 12:21 am

Shaqn wrote:

Oh they'd freak haha... I do the same thing though, aside from walking backwards. I tend to get a lot of thinking done in the bathroom, specifically on the toilet or just laying down. Dunno why, but it's relaxing... I think it's due to the fact that nobody likes talking to someone who says they are ********.:D. Walking, I dunno, while I am very anxious, and my thoughts are racing it feels nice sometimes to just be out there... out of my usual shell.

barbedlotus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Aug 2009, 1:35 am

Shaqn wrote:

That's about the time I get out. My family is constantly accusing me of being on drugs. I think if I proved it with a test that I am drug free they'd insist I rigged the test.