Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kokorozashi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Nov 2009, 4:18 pm

Amen on the 'terrible at small talk.'

I learned not to answer the question, "How are you?" with anything but "Fine" when I got chewed out for it in the carpool in fifth grade -- abject humiliation at a ridiculous hour of the morning is a highly effective teaching tool, apparently. I can now handle the most basic exchanges -- "How are you?" "Fine, you?" or, "Nice day, isn't it?" "Oh, yes." -- because I've sort of programmed those into my 'operating system' for dealing with the rest of the world.

When it goes beyond that, though, I invariably fail: either I say too much, say far too little, or say something that makes people ask me if I grew up in another country.

I do understand in an entirely rational way that small talk sort of operates as a sort of social-glue reinforcement, but I still find it basically intolerable and incomprehensible.

The lack of any need for small talk is one of the reasons most of my friends are Aspies. If I visit my friend Robert, our conversations are like:
"Hi."
"Hi!"
"Wanna go for a bike ride?"
"Okay."

So much easier.

curtis122
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Nov 2009, 5:01 pm

I wish I had aspoie friends I fee like they are the only ones that understand me sometimes.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2009, 7:04 pm

I'm not a fan of small talk. Although I have to engage in it sometimes to get to know people, it's mostly pointless.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2009, 7:37 pm

kokorozashi wrote:
If I visit my friend Robert, our conversations are like:
"Hi."
"Hi!"
"Wanna go for a bike ride?"
"Okay."

So much easier.

Sure, but that answer would bug me ...

"Okay? What does that mean? I was not asking you to agree with anything -- I just wanted to know whether you might be interested in going for a bike ride! If you would rather not, or if you would like to do something else or even nothing at all, then no problem here. Okay?"

Chizpurfle52595
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Nov 2009, 7:42 pm

To NTs and to educated Aspies, smalltalk can be damn useful.
Here's the secret: It's not the content (words in and of themselves) that matters so much as the manner in which you present it and respond to it.
Every time someone makes smalltalk with you, they are trying to glean information about you that will help them assess what kind of person you are, based on how you respond to their questions. There are almost always hidden implied questions that are usually something like:

Are you a friendly person?
Can I trust you?
Are you a threat to my safety or status?
Are we compatible as friends or possible lovers?

The MANNER in which you present your answers is vital. If someone says "I love watching golf tournaments" instead of saying "Oh my god I HATE that, it's SO boring" you are more diplomatic and say "I never really cared for it, I like basketball myself" you come across as less hostile and not prone to quick anger outbursts, while still being truthful. Also you will have avoided making the other person feel like their opinion is being shot down or invalidated just because yours is different.

In addition, the degree of detail that you share with the other person shows the degree of emotional/mental intimacy that you want to have with them. Withholding information and providing an automatic response ("How are you?" "Fine thanks") maintains a safe distance between you and the other person if you don't want closeness, and sharing a lot of personal information ("How are you?" "I had a frustrating day, I overslept and then I got stuck in this awful traffic on the way to work") forges emotional intimacy and trust, IF YOU ALLOW THE OTHER PERSON the opportunity to do the same.

curtis122
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2009, 4:26 am

That post was very helpful Chizpurfle52595! I will bear this in mind when im talking to people. Does this only apply to acquaintances?

BeauZa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2009, 12:10 am

I can barely go without talking about myself. Of course I am interested in the person I'm talking to, but I always end up talking about my personal experiences or opinions.

I feel that small talk is wont of depth, in comparison to a more personalized conversation in which this quality is thriving.

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 2:50 am

I'm just starting to learn the art of small talk. For me it's an autopilot thing. You learn to give systematic responses that are unoffensive and expected. Even if you don't care about what the other person is saying you can pretend like you care. It's difficult to discipline yourself like this but it's helpful in business situations.

For example:

"Today I was at the supermarket and ran into Jacob. He was telling me about how he was going to get engaged to Karen. I haven't seem them since college."
"Cool... I haven't seem them in a while either."
"They are gonna be getting a house together in Alaska."
"Neat."

At this point they usually leave you alone.

If they continue their babble about inane bs:

"I was thinking about visiting them in Alaska. Jacob is wearing those crazy pants he used to wear in college. He always cracks me up."
"Me too."
"Well it was nice running into you. Catch you later."

Always try to get to a point where you can say "me too" so they can quit their inane chatter. Once you blindly agree with them there really isn't anything else to be said.

Or if it's not a business situation:

"Today I was at the supermarket and ran into Jacob. He was telling me about how he was going to get engaged to Karen. I haven't seem them since college."
"I remember this one time in college where I was fighting with that professor over [insert obscure topic here] and the cops came. It was a total riot. You should have seen the way Karen reacted. Jacob and Karen are gonna be perfect together. I hear they're also into [insert obscure topic here]."
"Well it was nice running into you. Catch you later."

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 3:44 am

I STINK at "small talk".

When I try it, it sounds more like:

Me: "How about them electrolytic capacitors?
it is sure cool how the ones with more
of an alkaline electrolyte can sometimes
hold a charge longer than the acidic ones,
although the plate materials and the
separating insulator can also affect this."

Bob Normal: {Stands there with jaw open} "Uhh, Ok."

I try, altho I am sometimes too honest,
with sports talk I am lost and I usually
end up with alot of "I don't know" in there.

If a younger kid starts something up about
Spongebob or Rugrats I can really relate,
or Pokemon will also get me to open it.

Growedup small talk is almost impossible
for me, unless I am coached along,
or it is about electronics.

Kid small talk is much easier, I remember
the Spongebob episode where Patrick and
SpongeBob find this baby scallop or Oyster
and try to take care of it and all the junk
they go thru and stuff was funny.

I can do that much easier.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

psychointegrator
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Nov 2009, 6:08 am

curtis122 wrote:
How do you feel about small talk? How do you cope with small talk?

-Curtis

You poor bastard :)

Small talk typically (near the levels of ALWAYS, while allowing that 1% chance open) utterly annoying and puts me in a negative mod.
It is possible that I may be curious to test how a person will respond to specific questions, body posturing, eye contact, etc. So, that's one way that it escapes the small talk crap that would drive me nuts.

Where it was legal, during a small research study I was given a slightly lower than average therapeutic dose of MDMA and tested my small talk response.

Even with a substance that was giving decent body pleasure (nothing near out of control, just the entire body feeling pleasure by existing) along with the other benefits of MDMA what was the result of small talk?

I STILL found it highly unpleasant. It still felt empty and uninteresting. To me, this suggests that perhaps I do in fact hate small talk.

I believe that it's unfair to try and force a person to endure such things in my opinion. It's not that there may be times there can be a compromise, I suppose.

Perhaps role reversal could work. Take her to a chitchat session where she will have NO KNOWLEDGE about the subject and the ability to understand the conversation requires comprehension of esoteric verbiage and what not ;)

HH
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2009, 11:37 am

Chizpurfle52595 wrote:
To NTs and to educated Aspies, smalltalk can be damn useful.
Here's the secret: It's not the content (words in and of themselves) that matters so much as the manner in which you present it and respond to it.
Every time someone makes smalltalk with you, they are trying to glean information about you that will help them assess what kind of person you are, based on how you respond to their questions. There are almost always hidden implied questions that are usually something like:

Are you a friendly person?
Can I trust you?
Are you a threat to my safety or status?
Are we compatible as friends or possible lovers?

The MANNER in which you present your answers is vital. If someone says "I love watching golf tournaments" instead of saying "Oh my god I HATE that, it's SO boring" you are more diplomatic and say "I never really cared for it, I like basketball myself" you come across as less hostile and not prone to quick anger outbursts, while still being truthful. Also you will have avoided making the other person feel like their opinion is being shot down or invalidated just because yours is different.

In addition, the degree of detail that you share with the other person shows the degree of emotional/mental intimacy that you want to have with them. Withholding information and providing an automatic response ("How are you?" "Fine thanks") maintains a safe distance between you and the other person if you don't want closeness, and sharing a lot of personal information ("How are you?" "I had a frustrating day, I overslept and then I got stuck in this awful traffic on the way to work") forges emotional intimacy and trust, IF YOU ALLOW THE OTHER PERSON the opportunity to do the same.

This is very well put.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 2:51 pm

I'm okay at going along with it when someone else is directing the topic. I don't do well when it feels like I'm the one who's supposed to maintain the conversation. I feel like I'm supposed to ask questions but for some reason I don't. A lot of the time I simply can't think of anything to ask, at least not anything I'll actually be interested in hearing the answer. Also if I'm uninterested it's hard to fake it since my mind tends to gravitate away from topics that bore me. A lot of times I just go completely blank.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 11:55 pm

LittleTigger wrote:
I STINK at "small talk".

When I try it, it sounds more like:

Me: "How about them electrolytic capacitors?
it is sure cool how the ones with more
of an alkaline electrolyte can sometimes
hold a charge longer than the acidic ones,
although the plate materials and the
separating insulator can also affect this."

Bob Normal: {Stands there with jaw open} "Uhh, Ok."

I try, altho I am sometimes too honest,
with sports talk I am lost and I usually
end up with alot of "I don't know" in there.

If a younger kid starts something up about
Spongebob or Rugrats I can really relate,
or Pokemon will also get me to open it.

Growedup small talk is almost impossible
for me, unless I am coached along,
or it is about electronics.

Kid small talk is much easier, I remember
the Spongebob episode where Patrick and
SpongeBob find this baby scallop or Oyster
and try to take care of it and all the junk
they go thru and stuff was funny.

I can do that much easier.

Wow! You and my husband would get along perfectly. You're even the same age. He took the aspie quiz and is pretty much half and half. His aspie qualities are pretty much the stuff that you are talking about, which, in my opinion, makes him a much more interesting person than most. He likes to talk about electronics and movies, and certain kid-like themes. :) I feel so sorry for him when other men try to talk sports with him. He's completely lost then.

Plunk
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Nov 2009, 3:24 am

Aimless wrote:
gramirez wrote:
Small talk is utterly useless, pointless, and stupid. I avoid it as much as possible. It's not productive at all.

It has it's purpose for the larger population. It's just a way of keeping the social connection current. My problem is people who only want to small talk and never discuss anything interesting.

I feel like the majority of people are like that.
I can usually handle small talk but my problem is that I can't go further in relationships, and small talk is stupid and pointless. That's probably why I think most people can't discuss anything else than small talk, I haven't gone far enough.

daydreamer1511
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Nov 2009, 9:14 pm

marshall wrote:
I'm okay at going along with it when someone else is directing the topic. I don't do well when it feels like I'm the one who's supposed to maintain the conversation. I feel like I'm supposed to ask questions but for some reason I don't.

This is only too familliar. I may even be interested in the topic, but still it's like my mind is going blank when it comes to questions.

What I find really hard about small talk, is these open questions or phrases, e.g. "Nice day"... Whenever I encounter one of those conversations it usually goes like:
"Cold outside, isn't it?"
"Yes it is" (and a long, painful silence...)
And then what...? I just can't figure out what to say next.

Something a bit weird to some, though, is that I actually find it easier having small talk-like chats with my closest friends. I suppose it's all about me knowing them so well, allmost like I've learned their "language". Then, when I know the rules it's easier to relax end use this pointless talk as a means of just being together.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 9:17 pm

talks to inform, comand, or for inquries