Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Do you deal with your problems with having AS/Autism by excelling in something else?
Yes 53%  53%  [ 10 ]
No 26%  26%  [ 5 ]
Maybe... now that I think of it 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 19

Mapler
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Dec 2009, 1:46 am

Do you deal with your problems with having AS/Autism by excelling in something else?

invisibitsy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2009, 3:19 am

Interesting question. I voted no. I don't think my skills in any area have to do with compensating for a lack of anything.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 9:54 am

Might that be kinda what special interests are, almost by definition?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 11:09 am

invisibitsy wrote:
Interesting question. I voted no. I don't think my skills in any area have to do with compensating for a lack of anything.

Agreed.

I excelled in specific things without ever knowing I had Autism, so I don't see how it could have been compensation for anything. I just happened to find what I was good at, and avoid things I sucked at.

At which I sucked.

Things at which I could not excel.

eEk! AcK! ThThtHp! FsShThK! BaRg! :tongue:

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 12:20 pm

I will say that I used to, but not because I knew about AS.

I was told for as long as I could remember that I was never "good enough" to be part of anything I wanted to be part of. Maybe for many issues, that was the truth, but I was determined to "be somebody" or do something unique so that I would prove them all wrong.

That lasted until maybe a year or so before I learned about AS and just had to accept that I pretty much failed at everything I wanted to achieve and that maybe being mediocre was all I could hope for.

Still, to this day, I hate people telling me that I can't do something. I feel like I was judged as "unworthy" at birth and that life has treated me accordingly....as if I must be 10 times better than the guy next to me just to be regarded as an equal.

Mapler
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Dec 2009, 9:58 pm

Hmm everyone seems to say no. Well, I picked yes because I take out my lack of social skills and become social online.

nansnick
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 12:22 pm

This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I'll stop worrying about them as long as I'm doing well in whatever I've set my mind too. When my AS interferes in my focus I'll have momentary hiccoughs but generally I'll keep on trucking. When AS interferes in areas that I'm not focused on it can be a complete disaster. My answer is always to keep working on my goal and stop worrying about everything else.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 12:54 pm

Yeah, I've decided a long time ago that I will never make it socially to the same level as my peers, so I began working very hard at school. It really has paid off, because now people at least respect me for my academic abilities. I go to a very academic school where achievement and hard work are highly valued among students.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.