What IMPORTANT features does someone look for in a friend?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2006, 6:12 pm

When people make friends, what is it that they look for in a friend? Do they look for style/attire, personality, intelligence, manners, attractiveness or what?
Many people around me have been respecting me as an nice, intelligent, handsome, young man. But still I could never socially connect to them or make best friends?
Once again, what important attributes does someone look for in a friend?

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2006, 6:21 pm

ahhh the old aspie trick of trying to analyse what a friends criteria is then modify your behaviour to fit that criteria...........aspies find friendships hard to make and maintain because we are aspei and we dont do the emotional resonance thing that nt's need.
sometimes it may be easier to accept this before trying first

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2006, 6:28 pm

Personally, I look for tolerance, thoughtfulness, and a high level of self-awareness. I think people look for people who are like themselves, people in whom they see qualities they see and like in themselves, a reflection of themselves. What do you like about yourself?

- Emerson

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2006, 11:40 pm

Good question...I've talked about this with my friends, and we came to the conclusion that we were friends because none of us had a "scene", and we stuck together because we were some of the few "sceneless" people at our school. I can buy that...I have almost nothing in common with a lot of my best friends, except for the fact that we have shared experiences and enjoy spending time together. If knowing someone is more fun than work, or if they enrich your life in some way (doesn't really matter what way), I think they're good friend material. And they need a sense of humour. If they don't have one, we're probably not going to get past the first conversation. :roll:

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2006, 10:14 am

One criteria:

People who tolerate me.

I'm not in any kind of position to be picky.

As for good friends, the criteria are expanded to tolerance and trust. How trust is obtained is different in each scenario.

Trust is also very rare. Right now there are only three people I would call good friends, and I haven't seen two of them in about two and a half months.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

31 Jul 2006, 10:28 am

gsilver wrote:
One criteria:
People who tolerate me.

I have one criteria they got to be Gsilver. I spent last night outside his bedroom
window and smoked several packs of smokes. I've been doing this for weeks I got
a 1 foot pile of cigerette butts. One night I was nearily caught by the people next
door turns out the guy next door is watching his mom's bedroom window.

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2006, 1:25 pm

Some one i can talk about the interests i have and who isn't bothered by my often strange behaviour. That's what i look for in a close friend. Good conversation will do for aquaintances and the like.

Autumn_Shade
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jul 2006, 2:28 pm

gsilver wrote:
One criteria:

People who tolerate me.

That is it really. I would like to be a better friend, but sometimes I'm not. So if they can put up with me, that is criteria enough.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2006, 2:46 pm

Compassion, tolerance, patience and understanding.

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2006, 5:50 pm

gsilver wrote:
One criteria:

People who tolerate me.

As for good friends, the criteria are expanded to tolerance and trust. How trust is obtained is different in each scenario.

Trust is also very rare. Right now there are only three people I would call good friends, and I haven't seen two of them in about two and a half months.

Agreed, someone who could tolerate me and I could trust really.

ericmc783
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Aug 2006, 12:18 am

all i want is someone not superficial, gossipy, and someone who can accept me for who i am, and look past my looking dumb or insecure sometimes. its hard tho.

pink
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2006, 5:09 am

I think people look for somebody who shares some of their interests when looking for a friend. They also want somebody to pay attention to them, to listen to them. They want to be with somebody that makes them feel good when they are together. They want a friend who gives back as well as takes. A friend shares good times as well as bad ones.
I always tell my AS son if you are with somebody, and you feel insecure or bad about yourself when you are with them, then you shouldn't be with them. If somebody just uses you as a shoulder to cry on, but is never supportive of you, and is never happy, then you shouldn't be with them.

Pink

ericmc783
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Aug 2006, 6:17 am

donkey wrote:
ahhh the old aspie trick of trying to analyse what a friends criteria is then modify your behaviour to fit that criteria...........aspies find friendships hard to make and maintain because we are aspei and we dont do the emotional resonance thing that nt's need.
sometimes it may be easier to accept this before trying first

donkey, could you please explain what you mean by "emotional resonance". i know the meaning of both of those words, but when put together like that, it just makes no sense to me.

thanks.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2006, 6:40 am

emotional resonance, ok
non aspie people get a buzz, or a feeling or a resonance from interaction with each other.
the insane banter that drives us aspies mad they get a kick out of it and they resonate in their amygdala region of he brain it fires off and re-enforces the "feeling" that non aspies get by allowing the release of endorphins and other neurotrnsmitters, aspies just dont get this and therefore no need to re-enforece these social bonds that nt's get with banter.

ffanken
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2006, 9:04 am

After I found my aspie identity (and got my diagnosis about four years ago) , I've got very many new aspie friends. The frieds I had before, were not very different, I've always preferred a little eccentric people, but now I know why.

ffanken

Mork
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Aug 2006, 1:43 pm

I only look for one thing in a friend and that is that they like me they way I am and do not try to change me.