Page 2 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 11:01 am

I walk very fast...I just can't stand taking a long time to do anything.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Shagodah
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Apr 2011, 12:17 pm

For me walking fast is the mean to save some time. Yes, I am a fast walker.

toastytoast
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 May 2011, 10:28 am

I walk fast, too, and I often run into things (door jambs and tables, mostly). I have to force myself to slow down when I'm with other people who don't walk as quickly as I do...slow walkers kind of annoy me. I like what someone else said about people don't seem to realize they'd get to their destination faster if they didn't walk so slowly. Exactly.

I don't know if this is related--in my dreams, I often run instead of walk. I'm always alone in my dreams when I run so no one's having to keep up with me. I like it! And in real (not dream) life when I'm anxious, I often want to run. Sometimes I go for a run if I'm especially anxious. So perhaps, for me, walking fast is related to being anxious on some level, even though I don't think it's a conscious thing and I'm usually not feeling anxious at the time.

Zayle79
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 May 2011, 10:54 am

LeHunte wrote:
I aways walk fast to and from school and end up overtaking people, just today I was geting anoyed waiting behind people who were walking in a group eventhough they were walking normally.

I hate that, too! I used to go to a huge school, but the NT's would form groups of up to 5 people walking really slowly side by side.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 6:21 pm

If I'm in a hurry, I'll walk fast. If I'm dreading getting to point B, I'll walk slow. Other than that, I walk at a comfortable pace.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2011, 9:58 pm

I walk a bit fast, especially if I'm anxious, but I doubt it's AS related.

cowboydavey
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 May 2011, 9:16 pm

I did walk fast all the time, after I fell and hurt my back and have nerve damage I walk slowly. However I drive fast to make up for it.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 9:30 pm

Adrenaline from anxiety causes it, I think. What's worse, is, if you still have the anxiety, and can't walk fast because of a physical problem. It's much easier to deal with anxiety if you have a way to burn the adrenaline off.

I never thought of it as anxiety though, I just thought I had more energy than everyone else.

It can be a little unnerving to others to watch a person walk fast in a store, or other public setting where it is not necessary to walk fast.

I think some people pick up on it subconciously as a sign of attack or anger; although it's not intended that way. I never realized it could bother anyone until someone commented on it at work.

MissConflict
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 May 2011, 2:25 pm

I do tend to walk fast but not always. I like to observe nature and so I tend to go slow to take it all in. There are probably a number of reasons why people walk fast. If you are an impatient person you may walk fast. Just the fast paced of life today compared to way back when could be the cause of fast walkers. Not sure if all AS people walk fast.

zarshmagarsh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2011, 1:26 pm

Fast walker here too! I agree that its the anexity. Don't walk as fast as I used to now that I'm on anti-anexity drugs. At the school I used to work for the kids started a facebook page for me called "Walk with purpose" -- they nicknamed me "LongStrider" I was pretty ok with it once they all explained that they all liked me and that they weren't making fun of me. When I'm stressed I'll still walk fast sometimes. One thing that I think will never stop bugging me though is walking in crowds when you have to take big steps and then little steps and then stop and then start walking again. I still hate that.

squirrelflight-77
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 May 2011, 12:32 pm

haha,... we think my daughter age 10 has aspergers and SPD and she is the slowest person in the entire universe hands down... lol everything is on her own time. Now me.. I'm a fast walker and a fast talker.. just get it done and move along.. :-)

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 8:07 pm

I always walk fast and I don't know why. However, I always try to walk slowly so that I don't leave my family behind.

alexi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2011, 4:27 am

I too walk super fast. I never thought of it as an anxiety/adrenalin thing, but it makes sense- I generally don't feel at all calm when I'm out walking around and am usually bursting to get to where I'm going. I had a bouncy "unusual gait" as a child and so assumed that when I trained myself out of this as a teenager (due to teasing) that I just developed a different (too fast) unusual gait.

aliensyndrome
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 May 2011, 2:04 am

I walk really fast and/but I'm built for it. I like efficiency but I'm not always efficient.

IceCreamGirl
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 6:08 pm

I walk very fast. Despite my username, I have an obsession with my health that has to do with OCD, which is why I walk so fast.

Guilliman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 May 2011, 11:15 pm

I've always been a fast walker. I never thought it was partially an aspie thing! 8O I generally hate wasting time so walking fast helps with that. I'm not sure why I really do it though. Even when I have all the time in the world, I find myself going from point A to point B as quickly and as efficiently as possible. I suppose social anxiety is to blame but not totally sure about it since I still walk fast when no one is around.