Page 3 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

DGuru
Toucan
Toucan

12 May 2011, 6:52 am

I usually walk fast.

I've noticed subconsciously I try to stay at least slightly in front of anyone I'm walking with. I think there are other people who do this too and when I'm with one of those people we wind up almost racing each other. Sometimes the other person says "do we need to walk this fast?" Sometimes I say it. In either case the other person responds "but I thought you were trying to go this fast."

Walking with a group of people where some of them are in front of me level with each other while I'm behind makes me nervous too.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 9:07 am

one thing that i am surprised by is the fact that i always step the same amount of paces to go from place to place. i am not well in the head today and i feel rather divorced from assumption.

i am having trouble thinking of what words to use to write this post because i can not see the sense in saying "take a step". i know it would be easier to say "one thing that i am surprised by is the fact that i always take the same amount of steps to go from place to place", but how can one "take" a step?. one "performs" or "executes" a step. to "take a step" is to imply that there was already a "step" in existence and i "took" it.

absurd.

but i will use "take" nonetheless because it saves me much effort in constructing an equivalent circumlocution.

when i am walking, i generally keep a pre-conscious tally of the amount of steps that i take from places where i start my step count, to places where i stop my step count.

i can remember how many steps it is to the car from my office chair, from my back door to the mailbox, from the car to the entry gate at the supermarket (from various car parking spots). each aisle is 25 steps long for me.

i tread 1320 (+-15) steps on my regular bushwalk.

my step count varies little because i am very resistant to deviations to my trajectory.

if people at the shopping center propose themselves as an obstacle to my progress, i will just stop and wait (with rapidly intensifying impatience) until they get out of my way . i do not bother to think of how to walk around them, they are in my way, and not the other way around.

this is possibly contributory to the reason that there is little variance in the amount of steps i take to get from place to place every time i go out.

someone said i walk like a "driverless bulldozer", but they were incorrect because if the bulldozer's accelerator pedal is not depressed, then it will not move. if there is no driver, then the bulldozer goes nowhere.

Manganus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 May 2011, 4:52 pm

re18 wrote:
I walk super fast and people always ask me why I am in such a hurry. I think it has to do with my social anxiety.

I hold two things to be important here!

1/ Neurotypes are, as a rule, extremely cautious of "fitting in", as in behaving conformely with their social groups. They don't understand this. They aren't aware of this. But it caracterizes their lifes entirely.

2/ Aspies are often not particularly observant of the person or persons who make us company. Even when we discuss something with someone, we may be concentrating more on the substance of the subject than on the person we are talking with.

In many cases it requires much practicing, and much mental energy, until one realizes that The Other Person's understanding of us is at least as important as the factual content of what we say.

Asking a question like that is a very common way for neurotypes to veil their dissatisfaction with your behaviour. So, when someone (i.e. a neurotype) asks why you walk so very hurrily, they may aswell ponder "why aren't you paying ordinary attention" to him or her. Are you disliking him or her? Has he or she done something recently to cause your dislike?

Reinekuro
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 May 2011, 1:27 pm

Huh. Now, I blame a lot of oddities about myself on asperger's, but never have I considered that this, too, is a result.
Yes, everyone does complain that I walk too fast - the same, also, of Chris, who was diagnosed a good four years ago now.

I've always held the view that NTs walk much too slowly.

unrecognized_object
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 May 2011, 2:14 pm

I always walk fast. Even if i'm not going anywhere, like, I walk fast in circles while waiting for a bus at the bus stop.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 2:19 pm

I was a slow walker as a kid. Easily distracted and wandered off quite a bit.

These days, it can go either way. It all depends on my mood, where I'm going, and how distracted I may be.

ShutUpMeg
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 May 2011, 9:47 pm

I never thought that was a common trait but I've always been a fast walker. And driver. I'd leave people in my dust in the halls at school or the mall. I think it's probably from the lack of interest in the surroundings that have nothing to do with the goal of reaching point B.

potatomasher
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 May 2011, 11:43 pm

I always walked fast (edging on running, but not quite there). It seemed to me that if I was going to walk, I was going to walk well (fast). In my case I don't think it is anxiety, it is just getting somewhere. However, I usually try to look "normal" to avoid problems, and it never occurred to me that walking fast made me stand out. At this point I will keep walking fast.

Someone should do a study and find out what percentage of autistics walk fast.

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2011, 7:12 am

I'm a fast walker. I tend to take longer strides. I don't think it's an Aspie thing because I think I learned my fast walking from my Dad who is in the military and is very tall. So move fast and taking long strides equals fast walking, so I think that's where I got my fast walking habit from.

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 12:51 pm

I walk very fast if i'm on my own as I don't like being out in public, with other people i keep their pace.

nikoa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2011, 1:31 pm

People have always asked me why I'm very slow. One man even said for me slow pako, that slow mouse, friend of hurry gonzales in cartoons.

lennyk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 May 2011, 8:08 pm

I walk fast too, not possible for me to amble aimlessly like a window shopper or walmart/costco type

Pyrrho
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 May 2011, 8:20 pm

I walk quickly because I don't like walking and wasting time. I want to get where I'm going. I have never understood this. Also most people are lazy, which annoys me immensely, and it's fun to make them sweat and pant to try to keep up with me.

It's just like when I would go to the mall in high school and the other girls would just meander around, never knowing what they wanted and not really intending to buy anything. It pisses me off, seriously. I would just leave if it took them more than an hour to shop.

XsamX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2011, 8:24 pm

Im not aspergers but i got autism and yes i was fast and have people think im running when im not because i go into a little dream world of mine and think very deep and begin to walk fast sometimes i dont even know.

arko5
Raven
Raven

27 May 2011, 4:41 pm

I walk pretty quickly, fast enough for it to be a surprise when someone 'overtakes' me (happens 2-3 times a year). Although I've decided the rest of the world just walks infuriatingly slowly, either in packs or staring intently at their mobiles as they amble along. Perhaps an air horn would be a wise investment, would make overtaking so much easier.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 4:47 pm

Actually, now that I think about it, I do get annoyed when people seem to walk slowly in front of me.