Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Xaisede
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2011, 12:56 pm

I mean, all that happens is you get hurt. :wall: And I don't get anything from friendships...

K-R-X
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2011, 1:02 pm

Need? No. They can help, but it isn't worth suffering over.

Xaisede
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2011, 1:11 pm

K-R-X wrote:
Need? No. They can help, but it isn't worth suffering over.

I mean, I do socialize and have friends... but some people don't and get judged for it.

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 1:16 pm

I think some people think they need friends, but no one really does.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 1:25 pm

EmmaUK12 wrote:
I think some people think they need friends, but no one really does.

That statement is more true today than in any other time period I think. Society is pretty much like an amusement park nowadays in terms of survival.

Xaisede
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2011, 1:28 pm

That statement is more true today than in any other time period I think. Society is pretty much like an amusement park nowadays in terms of survival.[/quote]

Yeah... the most dangerous.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 2:21 pm

Define need.

The only things that are needed for survival are food and water. But the word 'need' is often overused. Many people say that they need a home, clothes, shoes, and their own private yacht in addition to food and water. Friends are just as much of a requirement to human survival as the yacht.

haruka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2011, 2:27 pm

Depending on the definition of both "need" and "friend", I require one.

Maybe if I had only family, that would be okay. But are family members friends?

Maybe I don't need a friend but I get really depressed when I have none. It makes me wonder why I am alive. While I am unlikely to kill myself, I would probably be stuck pondering that if I had no one to talk to.

But that is me and my situation and may not apply to anyone else.

LornaDoone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jul 2011, 8:16 pm

I really NEED to have friends. But, I dont like to have to see them too often or have to socialize. I like the security of knowing there are good people that have my back.

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 9:38 pm

LornaDoone wrote:
I really NEED to have friends. But, I dont like to have to see them too often or have to socialize. I like the security of knowing there are good people that have my back.

This pretty much sums it up for me. I can`t handle too much time with the same person. I start getting tired and sometimes crabby.

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 9:50 pm

I keep getting burned by friends. People pretend to be my friend, then leave me and it just makes even more sad and depressed.

At least I can count on my family, but what am I supposed to do once they're all gone?

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 10:38 pm

I have never had many friends, and I think, after my schooldays, I lost interest in having them.
I have found that often, their 'caring' is rather shallow and it is actually quite rare if you end up with 1 or 2 who are genuine, and not fair weather types. That is my opinion.

Having said that, I am not that good with friendships as I tend to end up talking on about my current obsession, and asking how they are etc, doesn't seem to come naturally at all. I only have 1 rl friend and I only talk to them by phone. I have none online, that I would consider friends, having lost touch when I lost my interest in the game I talked to them on.

In rl, I tend to find I like to simply have 1 person I am close to, and that is usually a relationship.
When not in a relationship, I talk sometimes to elderly people who have known me a bit for some years, but I can go without social contact these days as well.
I don't know if I am depressed without it or not. I can find too much time with someone drives me nuts and leaves me wanting to escape.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 10:51 pm

We probably need interaction with humans, but not friends.

They put this one guy in solitary confinement, and he started going crazy. Like legit crazy.

Thing is, we naturally stink at socializing, that's why we have problems. Despite being bad at it, our mind still needs the interaction. So we are stuck desiring something that comes with pain or doesn't come very much. Some of us conquer it, some of us mope, and some of us say we don't need it. But it's there, whether we like it or not.

haruka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jul 2011, 8:43 am

I find lots of people use the term "friend" when they don't mean it. They really mean acquaintances. I don't need friends in that sense.

SadAspy: I'm not sure how old you are, but maybe it gets better? I know when I was younger, kids were less mature, less wise, so therefore less good for making friends.

Graelwyn: I too tend to only be able to maintain one good friend at a time. This is usually the person I am in a relationship with. I recently made another friend (at an autism meetup). This is my first autistic friend, so we'll see how it goes.

Chrissyrun: I liked this "like legit crazy" :) Good post. :)

K-R-X
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2011, 9:01 am

chrissyrun wrote:

They put this one guy in solitary confinement, and he started going crazy. Like legit crazy.

Thing is, we naturally stink at socializing, that's why we have problems. Despite being bad at it, our mind still needs the interaction. So we are stuck desiring something that comes with pain or doesn't come very much. Some of us conquer it, some of us mope, and some of us say we don't need it. But it's there, whether we like it or not.

Human interaction can be simulated now though. Internet, videos, music. Pets. As far as the psychological need goes, it can be met without ever having to interact with a real live human being.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2011, 2:07 pm

K-R-X wrote:
chrissyrun wrote:

Human interaction can be simulated now though. Internet, videos, music. Pets. As far as the psychological need goes, it can be met without ever having to interact with a real live human being.

It can....but to a certain extent. There will always be a need for real human interaction.

Quote:
Chrissyrun: I liked this "like legit crazy" Good post.

Thank you. *bows* :lol: