Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 9:41 am

In high school, I was friends with the people in my class, but I wasn't friends with too many of the people who were older than me. I seemed to get along with the underclassmen better. A lot of my friends are actually 15-17. A couple as young as 13. I have a few who are 19. Is this really weird? :?

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 9:47 am

I don't think it's wierd. Some of my friends are 16/17. I'm not friends with anyone who is older than me, I just don't get along with them.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 5:29 pm

I find it easier to relate to people who are both younger and older than me. Older people are far wiser and more understanding, which I really appreciate. Younger people look up to me and treat me with respect (usually).

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 7:35 pm

I like older adults because they are more understanding. I don`t always like hanging with people my own age because they like to do things I don`t like to do. I get along with little kids too because I`m mentally like them. So I get along with children and older adults.

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 7:36 pm

SammichEater wrote:
I find it easier to relate to people who are both younger and older than me. Older people are far wiser and more understanding, which I really appreciate. Younger people look up to me and treat me with respect (usually).

I should`ve just quoted u in the first place lol this is pretty much what I said.

WhoKnowsWhy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2011, 9:17 pm

I think it's stereotypical Aspy behavior to relate to younger and older people, but not people in the same age group. I know it's true for me.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 11:49 pm

SammichEater wrote:

^this

techstepscientist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Aug 2011, 2:31 am

Throughout my entire life I have always had younger friends. When I was 19, my friends were 16, when i was 25 my friends were around 19, when i was 30 my friends tended to be around 25, and so on. Does keep me young though!

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 5:03 am

not really; most of my 'friends' are younger too.
this possibly has to do with the fact that, in general, people on the spectrum mature slower, mentally, and therefor relate better with others that are a few years younger physically.
of course, this levels out in the later years (say; 30+), and the people much older will be more understanding, as said before.
just, at the age of 10-25-ish, the majority of your age-group is ahead of you in mental maturity.

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 4:52 pm

Not at all! I'm 15, and I have a lot of older friends (usually around 19-20 [my best friend is 19!], and some who are my youth leaders, so 30-40ish), and I can't imagine they regard it as weird for having me as a friend. ;)

LuxoJr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2011, 4:00 pm

Most of my friends at school right now are in the grade before mine. That's fine. I don't really care. I get along better with younger people because I'm a bit immature :P but perhaps too much since some of them, I feel, act older than I do.
My best friend is my age but is just as immature :D
I do have a few friends who are in their 20s, but they're immature too...

I think it's all about one's age on the inside that we relate to. I'm not sure, but that's my case.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 4:24 pm

Younger and some older, depends on the older person. I had a friend who was 2 years younger than me, also a girlfriend who was 2 years younger than me. I get annoyed with some people around my age.

Jowan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2011, 7:15 pm

Most of my friends in high school were a couple of years younger than me.

nichiren

06 Aug 2011, 7:54 pm

BillyIdolFan217 wrote:
I like older adults because they are more understanding. I don`t always like hanging with people my own age because they like to do things I don`t like to do. I get along with little kids too because I`m mentally like them. So I get along with children and older adults.

I am similar. I only can get along with really old people because they kind of just don't worry about so much.

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 1:20 pm

Same holds true for me. I get along very well with older people (much older, 5+ years) and get along as well with much younger folks (10- and more).

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 2:37 pm

I was always a young student, so basically all my friends have been older than me. This was never really an issue for me. Like SammichEater, I find younger and older people to be a lot easier to talk with, though that effect only really sets in when crossing generations (Kids who are 10+ years younger than me or just adults in general, especially elderly).

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT