Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 3:01 pm

My friends for the past 4 years tended to be 1-2 years younger then me. Even then, they tended to think of me as being maybe 2-3 years younger then them. Im 22, most of my friends were around 20,21 yrs old yet they saw me like 18 yr old.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 9:31 pm

I think this is really common in the ASD population. When I was 12-14, my best friends consisted of a bunch of 6-8 year olds, simply because I felt they were at my social level and they engaged in more innocent forms of play whereas the kids my age would be into boyfriends and truth or dare.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term therapists - that I am an anxious and highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder.

My diagnoses - social anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

TheCaityCat
Raven
Raven

08 Aug 2011, 4:33 am

My two longest/closest friendships are with younger women, and I met them back in high school. Socially and developmentally I was at a level closer to theirs. My best friend from when I went to grad school in an unfamiliar town is six years younger than me, and neither of us feels weird about it. Many of my other friends are also younger for similar reasons. Most of the people I call my friends actually thought I was much younger when we met - they thought they were meeting/hanging out with someone who was their age or younger.

My boyfriend, on the other hand, is five years older.

Wow, this post makes it sound like I have lots of friends!

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2011, 7:56 am

no i chat on msn with an 6 years old less than me. So he 16 and i'm 22

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 10:51 am

Count me in, that it isn't weird, just that it shows how different we come across to people our own age when they expect us to be basically the same because of age. The people I've made the closest friendships with tend to be at least 15-20 years older than me, but also some in the 18-25 age range too, in other words nowhere near my own age. I have been in similar situations throughout my life.

LuckyLeft
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2011, 2:15 pm

I've found it easier to talk to people older than me rather than my peers, but not younger, in most cases.

Chibs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Aug 2011, 7:39 pm

I get along with people my own age(however SOME of them can be really annoying, but for me it was just finding the right people) and people some years older(19+). However, I don't really get along with people much younger than me(under 15).

Animegal86
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2011, 5:28 pm

It is not weird. I have one fiend who is my same age but any others at least 2 years younger. The issue becomes awkward when some of my maturity in areas like goals contrasts big time with my friends.

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2011, 9:11 pm

I get along better with people younger than I am most of the time. Or sometimes with those older than I am or my age with similar interests. I can talk with people younger than I am or my age if I need to talk. Most of my online friends are younger than I am.

Also take into consideration that as you get in late 30s the differences in everything but chronological lessens. It is more apparent in 20s and younger.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 10:16 pm

BillyIdolFan217 wrote:
SammichEater wrote:
I find it easier to relate to people who are both younger and older than me. Older people are far wiser and more understanding, which I really appreciate. Younger people look up to me and treat me with respect (usually).

I should`ve just quoted u in the first place lol this is pretty much what I said.

Same here. Although younger people do not necessarily respect me more than people my same age. In fact I doubt it very much. I tend to get a long with people much older than me or lil kids more than people near my same age range. My roommate is the only exception to this rule she is only one year younger than me, though sometimes i feel like I am much younger than her.

o0Chipmunk0o
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Oct 2011, 12:59 pm

I do not understand why people have to be with people of their own age group! Surely you decide whether you want to be friends with someone before you determine their age? I imagine it would get easier as people get older, but in your school years, friends have to be within your year exactly. I much prefer to have older friends or younger friends for the same reasons as most, more mature and intellectual or younger and as a older friend with experience. I think that people should seriously get over themselves, they will miss so much if they only live with blinkers on.

Personally, my best friend is over thirty years older then me, and she is the most amazing thing to ever hit this earth!

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 3:09 pm

Only the part about being friends with a thirteen year old. I guess I don't see what you'd have in common.

AngelofDreams
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2011, 9:48 pm

It's not weird. Over half of my friends are younger than me. Only one is the same age as me, and we get along well (mostly because we're both equally "crazy", lmao).

I guess it's like what most of the others replied, that younger people are more innocent and mostly respectful to you.
In my honest opinion, most people at my age act more immature than I do. :? I've had this problem in high school.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

11 Oct 2016, 9:30 pm

Bumping it up...I didn't see a similar thread that was recent.
I don't think it's weird to have younger (and older) friends. I don't always have to be with 18 year olds (I'm 18). A lot of my acquaintances are younger and older. It's always fun to talk to people who are age 65+. These seniors have seen a lot of moments in life and can share story after story. I really enjoy those that have lived in the same city most (or all) of their lives. They have seen their town grow up, lived through several Presidents, wars, and other historic events. The number of WWII vets is slowly dwindling down to zero. We need to save those interviews and moments!
One of my good friends is still in high school, a senior (he's 17). I have been friends with him since he was a sophomore, and he's very smart as well...plans on going to possibly an Ivy League college after he graduates!
I like students who have interesting stories to share. Case in point: I have communicated many times with a 7th grader who previously lived in three small, remote Alaska towns before moving to Washington state. I could talk with him for hours about the fishing and the snowmobiling he did up in the AK Bush! Another student (a sophomore) lived in Utah for many years, and has lots of stories to share...not as many as the ex-Alaska student. I also volunteered with elementary students through my junior/senior years. The kids enjoyed all the help I gave them, and some of them still recognize me when they see me.
It's good to have the experience with kids...I plan on getting my Elementary Education BA four years from now.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 6:04 am

It's not weird in the least. I'm 22 and I have friends who are as young as 16. Works vice versa as well - it's not weird to have older friends either.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 4:32 pm

I've switched around in this -- when I was young I preferred the company of older people, but when I got to be an adult I got along better with people who were younger than me, and it stayed that way pretty much all my adult life.

When I was 32 my best friend happened to be 22, when I was 40 I was in a relationship with a man of 30, and so on. As a grownup I've always had more in common with younger people, even my music tastes and other things skewed younger all my life and younger people were who I wanted to hang out with and talk to. I always looked younger too, so even going by appearance I was accepted by younger people; no one thought it was weird.