Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

treblecake
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2012, 8:43 am

So my friend told me the other day that whenever people tell stories they make up bits here and there. This really changed my view on the world because I always thought what people said happened is exactly what happened, and I always wondered how it was that other people have such crazy lives compared to mine.
It's just weird finding out little things like this about the world.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 8:46 am

Happens all the time.

Sometimes the stories are outright lies too.

Blixten
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2012, 9:06 am

I have read that people generally lie every hour, everyone tell small lies during the day if you are out and being social. Don't worry about it and always remember to not try to call people on their lies unless it's outrageous. It's not a good idea, I've learned.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 10:01 am

The above poster says that people don't like getting called out on the story, no matter how outrageous and I find this especially true. Furthermore, in a situation similar to what you are describing, you definitely don't want to call any of your female friends liars either since they will likely refuse to talk to you for a while or again even. It doesn't matter if you catch them in a lie. You can question the story to someone else, and they can probably confirm what is true and not if they know what actually happened (assuming you are in an environment where people know eachother pretty well.) Other people that tell stories, you can tell it is completely fabricated and not one ounce of truth is in the story. Other people will tell a story they heard from someone else and make up whatever words they want to go along with the story. I would refer to a first series episode of The IT Crowd for an example of fabricating stories (The Haunting of Bill Crouse)
As for yourself, you can go ahead and tell a story and mix in words and make a story more outrageous than it really is, but people will not likely think much of it if the story was entertaining. Leave too many holes and people have questions to ask.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 10:14 am

It's called a "fish tale" down here because guys always exaggerate the size of the "one that got away".

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

treblecake
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2012, 9:38 pm

Blixten wrote:
I have read that people generally lie every hour, everyone tell small lies during the day if you are out and being social. Don't worry about it and always remember to not try to call people on their lies unless it's outrageous. It's not a good idea, I've learned.

Oh whoops I used to have a friend who I always called out when they added things to stories, although I stopped when I realized they made me sound funnier.

Palakol
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Sep 2012, 4:52 pm

Memory is a funny creature. Sometimes you may inadvertently be telling a story you actually made-up as if it were true because you honestly believe it happened.

Aoibh
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Sep 2012, 4:43 am

Palakol wrote:
Memory is a funny creature. Sometimes you may inadvertently be telling a story you actually made-up as if it were true because you honestly believe it happened.

I do this a lot. I have an incredibly vivid imagination and sometimes I get confused between what's happening in my head and what's going on in the real world. I'm not sure I would say that I'm a liar. I don't mean to do it, in fact sometimes I don't even realise I'm doing it until much later! My imagination is both a blessing and a curse.

comatt1

24 Sep 2012, 11:43 am

I have a difficult reading sarcasm, so I have been practicing; my trouble is, while I remain totally gullible, every time I try to be sarcastic, people see me as lying.

That part where "they get it" never seems to happen, and I don't know if I am supposed to say, just kidding or something. Like, I once said I was bitten by a shark and it went away with one testicle, to a good friend, and he thought I was serious. and proceeded to call me a liar after asking my mom..

I live in wisconsin, it seems completely improbable that truth was ever my intention.

So does Sarcasm have some articulating component I am missing?

CarpeDiem
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Sep 2012, 5:12 pm

comatt1 wrote:
I have a difficult reading sarcasm, so I have been practicing; my trouble is, while I remain totally gullible, every time I try to be sarcastic, people see me as lying.

That part where "they get it" never seems to happen, and I don't know if I am supposed to say, just kidding or something. Like, I once said I was bitten by a shark and it went away with one testicle, to a good friend, and he thought I was serious. and proceeded to call me a liar after asking my mom..

I live in wisconsin, it seems completely improbable that truth was ever my intention.

So does Sarcasm have some articulating component I am missing?

In short, yes. A lot of the meaning is conveyed in the way something is said. It is generally clear when someone is being sarcastic not by what they have said but by the way they have said it. An example but there are many is when you stress the vowels in words. Such as I'm reeeeeeeeeealy sorry, said in a slightly monotone way.

I'm not sure if what you said is actually sarcasm because it was not immediately obvious that it was sarcasm, and therefore a lie. Saying something like, "it's so busy in here" when there is only a couple of people is clearly sarcastic because everyone can observe that what has been said is not consistent with the truth.

IrishTusk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Sep 2012, 5:49 pm

Never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn - Chopper Read.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 8:16 pm

Probably, I know some NTs that would do that but then they kinda had a reputation after a while for doing such things. I think many times NTs sorta will leave out details and frame the story a bit differently from the way it actually happened. For instance, if someone had a lousy vacation and say an acquintances asks, "how was your vacation?" they'll say "good good,.....". They arent gonna say how they got into so many fights over the most ridiculous things. Sometimes NTs embellish stories for entertainment sakes, joking around, etc.

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2012, 3:26 am

comatt1 wrote:
I was bitten by a shark and it went away with one testicle

Yeah, a good way to end that joke woulda been to say something like, "I'm kidding. But, seriously, if a shark would bite me, that is what would happen to him." Don't just say, "I'm kidding." Then, it makes you unfunny. You have to follow it up with something else like a punchline or a reason that you told the joke.

Evy7
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Oct 2012, 5:24 pm

I would think you were telling the truth as well! Sarcasm only works in special cases. If you didn't mean it, say just kidding or something after that. Sarcasm works when you are trying to actually say the oppositr of what you mean and you use the tone of your voice in a mocking manner. Ex:
Wife: "I work so hard all day and everyday"
Husband: "Sure you do!Napping and light cleaning is such strenous work, isn't it now?!"
Obviously here the husband is trying to say, no what you do isn't hard work.