does asperger's get better as you get older?

Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

BornThisWay
Toucan
Toucan

11 Feb 2013, 9:08 pm

Yes, social skills and the ability to interact appropirately and 'be normal' gets better. I just read on some other thread here that Tony Atwood has posited that one can learn almost any skill in ten years...it makes sense that many of us sort of 'come into our own' or get some form of balance in our 30's or 40's even, even if it's just a form of self acceptance. It takes longer, but we do learn how to get along. Also, being in the adult world does mean we can exercise a lot more choice as to environment and how we choose to interact.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 8:18 am

for me, each year it gets better

opal
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 1:22 am

aspi-rant wrote:
i did rather well… but then it all collapsed again after 40 years… i just burned out pretending and trying.

so did most aspies i know that passed that magic age of doom… :?

+1
After a lot of bad treatment, I've become a bit cynical/ paranoid. I am no good at playing office politics.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 11:00 am

I was just thinking that social interaction is like a picture other people get handed, they get a whole picture, but over the years I have been drip fed individual jigsaw pieces and have to put the picture together by myself one bit at a time. Over time I've learned the way that people will behave in certain circumstances and I can store that information and use it for future reference so that I can (hopefully, but not always) anticipate what will happen in a certain situation and adjust the way I act accordingly.

melcooley
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Feb 2013, 1:29 pm

I am now 59. It is a miracle that I survived my twenties and thirties, for me two
really lost decades. Things turned around about when I reached the age of 40.
Now pushing 60, every year gets better. One just needs to hang in there.

fireball5
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Feb 2013, 1:19 am

It gets better as you begin consciously working on it.