Page 2 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ReiAime
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Nov 2013, 11:27 am

CharityFunDay wrote:
I don't really have a problem making eye contact -- I think most people have beautiful eyes. If anything, I have the opposite problem to many: My eye-contact is too prolonged and I get semi-hypnotised. So I try to modulate it by looking away regularly, e.g., by looking up and to the left when taking my turn in conversation which (if I recall my NLP correctly) is something most people do when trying to recall something.

Yes! That's how it was for me with "staring" at people. xD

Your Aspie score: 183 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 27 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

CharityFunDay
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 12:28 pm

I'm glad it's not just me!

I am very anxious about my persistence of eye contact, and don't want to come across as over-intense. And I understand that NT people can read all sorts of intentions into prolonged eye-contact, so I want to avoid misinterpretation wherever possible. I am naturally conflict-averse and am especially afraid of my eye-contact appearing unintentionally aggressive when dealing with other males.

I know of one AS guy, for whom I have a lot of time and respect, who deals with his personal eye contact issues by wearing dark glasses at all times. While I respect his choice of approach, I can't help thinking that this probably marks him out as 'odd' more definitely to many people than any deviation from NT standards of eye contact ever could.

ExoticCritter
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Nov 2013, 8:36 pm

As a kid my eye contact was terrible. It was unnatural and awkward for me. A speach teacher I had in elementary school said I needed to improve it (this was long before I was actually diagnosed), so my parents essentually trained me to make eye contact. Now my eye contact is about as normal as a NT's eye contact. Some people claim you shouldn't train a young aspie to make eye contact, but I sort of disagree.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 9:47 pm

It's hard for me when it's a person in authority or someone whom I feel is superior to me. My trick is to look at the bridge of a person's nose.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 10:46 pm

Though my eye contact is pretty good when someone is talking (I tend to look for about 3-4 seconds and then look slightly away), it's harder when I am talking as I actually need to look away to formulate my ideas...it is hard for me to process eyes and thoughts at the same time. I tend to intellectualize eye contact and process it on the same wavelength as my thoughts. I hate that I do this as I don't know whether it looks normal or not or if this sends the wrong message to people.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term therapists - that I am an anxious and highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder.

My diagnoses - social anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 12:19 am

It varies with me, depending on the situation. If I'm trying to stress a particular point, I'll maintain eye contact. Otherwise, it generally wavers every few seconds.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

02 Nov 2013, 6:18 pm

Not that good. Sometimes, I want to tell my dad if it's heated "NO CONTACT ORDER!"

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

DecafeMan
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Nov 2013, 8:31 pm

I could make eye contact with people, though not recently, I just think it is my ADHD. I have done it properly before, but now I just don't.

Sathor
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Nov 2013, 12:07 am

I have never been good with that, and I got in a fair bit of trouble over it many a time. It was a little better after I got glasses, but not much. I tend to come off as an arrogent prick who doesn't actually care, or just smug for not showing the right reactions when I am being chewed out, which only makes people more angry. I can force myself to focus into a persons eyes, but it actually hurts my eyes.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 3:22 am

This drives my wife nuts. She says I never look at her when we're talking.

I had no idea that eye contact was such a big deal until I read an article on it once - which only made it worse. After reading the article, I realized the importance of eye contact but I've never really learned to master it. Now I find myself staring weirdly into other peoples' eyes for long periods of time. Then I realize I'm staring and become completely self conscious and can't look at them any more. Damn that article. 8O

One place it does seem to come in handy is if someone is running a training course and I'm in the audience. I think through my staring at them, they pick me to concentrate on and somehow, it eases their nerves (I guess, because I give the impression that I'm listening intently). The presenters always end up staring at me. Maybe they're really thinking "What's that looney staring at me for?". Who knows?! Bloody weird NT's and their non-verbal communication crap.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Upochapo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Nov 2013, 12:07 pm

My eye contact is practically non-existant. I have no intention of changing it either. At one point I may have cared about it but I don't anymore. People don't like it then they don't like it. If it is that important then they can find someone else to talk to and leave me to my peace and quiet. The only time I'll make an effort is if I approach someone to talk to (next to never). Otherwise, if you're coming to me and going to interrupt whatever I'm in the middle of then it's on my terms not theirs.

DeviousDani
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2013, 8:36 pm

I stare at everyone, too much eye contact here.
Although when talking about something personal or big I tend to not be able to make eye contact.

Codyrules37
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2013, 9:14 am

look on the bright side. You can always beat an autistic in a starting contest.

lolcatwt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2013, 4:19 am

I maintain too much eye contact. I have to remind myself to look away.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 7:50 am

And if the person's cross eyed, forget it! 8O

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

tonyland
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2013, 12:26 pm

For me eye contact depends on how tired or stressed I am. I generally force eye contact, and I am reasonably good at it, or so my wife tells me. If I have had a bit of a difficult day - stressed, anxious or just plain tired, then I completely forget to do it. It certainly isn't something that comes very naturally though.