Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

shapeshiftinglizard
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Feb 2014, 7:15 pm

I have very descent social skills, except when it comes to new friendships/strangers/etc. (I don't really have the right word for it, english isn't my first language)

I rarely get new friends, it's usually easier via the internet or throught others, but these are not always in options. I'm not very good throught Facebook, and alrought I admin two pages I can't really meet with the people there because the distance. Also I lost contact with a lot of older friends (sometimes for good).

Sometimes I go out for concerts all alone (mostly for the music), I stopped to go to cons because the lack of friends. I just can't find a way how should I start one. I remember when I was younger I was more open, but somehow it changed (bullying?).

Billw1628
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Feb 2014, 10:05 pm

For me, I often use social media as a means to truly get to know a person. Then, if you know that you and the other person you know online are going to the same thing, arrange a meet up just between you and him/her (and perhaps with some of his/her friends if you are comfortable). I did this tons of times now over the last 3+ years. I kept almost all such friendships. In fact, I actually have become a high demand person to meet in occupational therapy conferences... quite a feat considering that I am an aspie.

Friends are like treasures. You might not know how valuable they can be until you have some trouble or when you have lost them for whatever reason.