Being friends with people much older than you?

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Have you ever had successful relationship with someone much older than you?
Yes 91%  91%  [ 32 ]
No 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 35

camday
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Dec 2014, 3:01 pm

I had nearly the same situation except for mine was at a Taekwondo school instead of the normal school. The way I approached it was I ask his opinion on a couple of things ( over the course of months) then I mentioned after he gave me some insight into a specific board break I was working on I said something along the lines of " I wish everyone was as easy to talk to as you. I would have ask (insert peer's name) but I find that people my age are really hard to talk to. In my situation it also helps that he is possibly an Aspie and his daughter is Autie.In my experience the only way it works is if they are on the spectrum as well. However most the time they don't know it. I have about ten friends are above the age of fifty (50%-50% gender split). I am twenty. These are not acquaintances; I have known most of them since I was in my early teens. All but two are most likely on the spectrum (both of the NTs were 80+). I can't name but one person who I could call friend that is within 20 years of my age. He is also and Aspie. Warning: I have found that is harder to make friends with the opposite gender if they're still in the reproductive years.

camday
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Dec 2014, 3:02 pm

I had nearly the same situation except for mine was at a Taekwondo school instead of the normal school. The way I approached it was I ask his opinion on a couple of things ( over the course of months) then I mentioned after he gave me some insight into a specific board break I was working on I said something along the lines of " I wish everyone was as easy to talk to as you. I would have ask (insert peer's name) but I find that people my age are really hard to talk to. In my situation it also helps that he is possibly an Aspie and his daughter is Autie.In my experience the only way it works is if they are on the spectrum as well. However most the time they don't know it. I have about ten friends are above the age of fifty (50%-50% gender split). I am twenty. These are not acquaintances; I have known most of them since I was in my early teens. All but two are most likely on the spectrum (both of the NTs were 80+). I can't name but one person who I could call friend that is within 20 years of my age. He is also and Aspie. Warning: I have found that is harder to make friends with the opposite gender if they're still in the reproductive years.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 5:46 am

I'm 26 and the majority of my friends are in their 30s, with a few who are even in their 40s, 50s and one who's 60.

My closest friends are all within the 21-26 range, which is where it usually stayed until I started getting into playing music and working on production crews, which got me into an older crowd. I joined a band largely made up of thirtysomethings, and that snowballed into making all sorts of new contacts and friends. I'd say that I get along better with older people, but I don't think "maturity" is the reason since the people I hang out with are all punks and horror movie freaks who never really grew up (in a good way).

As far as relationships, I think I'd be better off dating someone older than me. A lot of people have said I should look into dating someone in their 30s since I'm far more relationship/monogamy/LTR-oriented than sex-driven like most people my age. When I was 25/26, I dated an 18/19 year-old (who I first thought was 21-ish) and the age gap made me super uncomfortable. I don't think either of us was prepared for a relationship (and it did eventually crumbled).

Happycampus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Dec 2014, 11:58 am

I also prefer to socialize with grown (30+) adults but don't know where or how to become friends with people in that age group.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 8:36 am

I actually have friends who are younger than me. One of my closest friends is actually about 15 (I think). I believe the reason is that my age range is around her physical age or something.

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2014, 3:51 pm

Everyone at my GRASP group is 40+, I don't mind it but I still wish I could hang out with people my age. The problem is the people my age are into the worst music, movies, literature and waste their time and money drinking. That is why I can't really relate to people my age. I feel like a 40+ person who complains how the quality of everything including the people suck and it is close to the end of civilization.
I am in Iowa City IA by the way if anyone in the area would like to come to the GRASP group. Message me and I can send you the details.

pj4990
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2014, 1:33 am

The age group of my friends has never been necessarily related to my age, it's been who has similar interests. Sometimes that's people around my age, sometimes it's people 40 years older. I just like to have something in common with them, and when Aspergers is involved it seems to be a complete myth that having anything in common correlates with age.

MathIm
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Dec 2014, 4:48 am

My grandma has already been dead almost a decade ago.
But if she is still living, I want to talk to her about her favourite historical drama, after studied and watched it.
But I'm not sure of such relationship beyond kinship.
It is a bit scary.
Though I feel I can be a friend with policemen who I had met in my recent only once runaway from home.
Now I can't believe I did it, even though it is only a bit more 12 hours with a bicycle.
I feel they are rather kind to us than people aren't a policeman.

:heart:

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2014, 10:42 am

When I was 12, I was hitting on a 14 year old nuerotypical girl. I liked her because she was cute and very adventurous (she goes SCUBA diving) in the same area of my interests like Marine Biology. She thought I was cute and tried to fall in love with her. I would cuddle her often and on a couple of occasions kiss her. But it jus didnt work out.But 5 years later, I told a coach about that and he called me a bulletproof vest. I am now looking at another cute girl online (Twiiter) who is like in her mid 20s (I am right now 19) who is also an adventerous girl. I knew what to do was relax, be cool, and pay attention.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2014, 7:07 pm

When I was a child, I enjoyed talking with the old ladies sitting on park benches more than playing with my friends. I still played with my friends, though.

The movie, "The Summer of 1942" always resonated with me. I used to always want a relationship with an "older woman."

As a young person, I always got along better with adults.

Now that I'm almost 54, I have become the "older person." I can make friends with anybody--young, old, same age, etc. If I were to get divorced from my wife, I might or might not pick someone older than me.

chris4autismrights
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Dec 2014, 6:49 pm

I have had a few successful ones but they weren't long last. It was very devastating when they left me as friend's. They cited that it was generation gaps and that I was just a kid