Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jun 2016, 1:07 pm

There must be a better way than saying "bye...bye...bye..." until the other person hangs up. But I really struggle with the sign-offs

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 1:54 pm

"Gotta go! Bye!" < Hang up >

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jun 2016, 1:56 pm

But what if I offend them by hanging up at the wrong time!

catunderfoot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jun 2016, 2:07 pm

I just say, "Alright, well I'm gonna let you go." (My parents use this one a lot, and I find it's pretty effective at communicating that I want to end the conversation while still maintaining politeness. It also gives them a chance to say anything else they wanted to say during the conversation before I say "goodbye") I can use that one just about any time, as long as they're not in the middle of saying something. Then they usually say, "Okay, take care," or something to that effect, and then I will say goodbye and so will they. I think avoiding any hesitation at the end is key. When you say "Goodbye," just hang up right away and end it. :P

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 6:42 pm

lordfakename wrote:
There must be a better way than saying "bye...bye...bye..." until the other person hangs up. But I really struggle with the sign-offs

I do the exact same thing, they go "bye" i go "bye" then "bye" again..........it sort of feels awkward i guess.

I think its sort of best to let them lead it, like i generally follow on from what their doing. kinda works i guess.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 7:25 pm

catunderfoot wrote:
I just say, "Alright, well I'm gonna let you go." (My parents use this one a lot, and I find it's pretty effective at communicating that I want to end the conversation while still maintaining politeness. It also gives them a chance to say anything else they wanted to say during the conversation before I say "goodbye") I can use that one just about any time, as long as they're not in the middle of saying something. Then they usually say, "Okay, take care," or something to that effect, and then I will say goodbye and so will they. I think avoiding any hesitation at the end is key. When you say "Goodbye," just hang up right away and end it. :P

I say exactly the same thing! It really works well and doesn't come across as rude. :)

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 9:25 pm

I usually just come up with some excuse to leave. "Well, I gotta' go [insert activity here], see ya' later."

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 11:12 pm

I usually tell say, " I guess I'll let you go". Something that makes me uncomfortable is telling someone that I love them before hanging up, but I feel like I should if they said it first.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 7:15 am

...by not answering it in the first place.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 7:38 am

I always say: "I hope you have a nice day. Talk to you soon." if it's a friend. It's a script--but I find it's an effective one.

If it's a telemarketer, I just hang up.

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jun 2016, 1:14 pm

I shall try the "I'll let you go now" thing, that might work better

AspieGuy4210
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2016, 1:20 pm

I sometimes say, "later," "see ya," "see ya later," instead of the usual "bye." In most formal phone calls I would say "Thank you, bye." just out of courtesy though.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 3:43 pm

Are you in the UK? It seems to be a very British habit to say "Bye, bye, bye, bye" multiple times until hanging up.

I just initiate the heads-up by starting with "Well, been lovely chatting, I gotta let you go but take care for now okay?"

And they will usually say "Oh okay yeah you take care too, talk soon!" And then I'll say "Okay then bye bye!" I wait to hear them say Bye too, then I just hang up.

Basically my yardstick for when to hang up is when both myself and the person have had a chance to exchange one "Bye!" each. That's enough to hang up on.