Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dej
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Aug 2005, 2:31 pm

I love to see movies, but i have issues with how close people are sitting to me. I always have to find seats that are far away from others, or make use i have an isle seat so that others are not next to me.....I found to help with this situation to wait like one or two weeks before seeing a brand new movie so the theatre is not as packed. Does anyone else experience this?

aaronkt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Aug 2005, 3:16 pm

As long as the person sitting next to me is chatting through the whole movie or smoking, I'm cool with it.

computerwidow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2005, 7:12 pm

I usually do just what you do, Dej, wait until the movie has been out for awhile so it's not so crowded, or pick a time like early afternoon when fewer people are likely to show up.

MovieMogul
Toucan
Toucan

17 Aug 2005, 9:10 pm

computerwidow wrote:
I usually do just what you do, Dej, wait until the movie has been out for awhile so it's not so crowded, or pick a time like early afternoon when fewer people are likely to show up.

I normally go during the working week, so the theatres are often less-than-packed even on the opening week. I did go to the Revenge of the Sith midnight screening which was huge, but I wasn't too uncomfortable. I just concentrated on talking to my friends the whole time, but ended up sitting on one of the ends. I wasn't too bad, but I was a little aware of the proximity of the stranger next to me.

But I loved the movie and got caught up in it, which allowed me to forget my surroundings. Not many movies do that for me.

http://actionman133.isa-geek.net:8080/

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2005, 9:47 pm

I used to have problems with people sitting so close to me during the movies.Also,how figgin' LOUD it is just irritates me!

I remeber one time,when me,Mom,and my brother went to go see "Alian VS. Predator" this guy sat own right beside us and was laughing liek some loon throughout thw whole movie!

-SpaceCase :D

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 12:02 am

People sitting close to me doesn't bother me. The noise of the movies used to bother me a lot. My mum always nagged me about taking my fingers out of my ears (she didn't know I had AS then, she just thought I was weird). I've adapted now.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 12:16 am

Now that I finally have a car, I had the chance to go to a 11:15pm screening of Star Wars ep. III by myself on a weeknight. I practically had the place to mysef. :D I think that's how I'm going to go see movies from now on. :)

MovieMogul
Toucan
Toucan

18 Aug 2005, 3:23 am

Bec wrote:
People sitting close to me doesn't bother me. The noise of the movies used to bother me a lot. My mum always nagged me about taking my fingers out of my ears (she didn't know I had AS then, she just thought I was weird). I've adapted now.

My ears always need blocking in an action movie. For a Michael Bay movie, I might as buy earplugs and wear them start to finish. War of the Worlds was pretty loud in it's destructive moments, I remember covering my ears more than a few times.

I still remember when I was 11 and watching Dante's Peak. Anytime they showed the mountain, I covered my ears in anticipation of an explosion. Even when Pierce Brosnan was in a helicopter above the crater, they were still covered...

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 5:55 am

When I was younger it bothered me alot.

I had bad OCD and I couldn't get away if someone coughed or sneezed.

The only problem I have with it now is I don't like smelling people's breath.

Purplefluffychainsaw
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2005, 6:44 am

When I go with friends and family I always make sure I'm sitting in the centre of the group, but when I'm by myself I try and keep as far away as possible. I don't usually go by myself, though.

Having said all this, there was that time when I went to see Return of the King by myself, sat between two strangers (there were no other seats), and sang/laughed/cried the whole way though. 8) I must have been annoying, but the girl who I sat next to's phone went off during the corrination scene, so I don't feel bad for her, just for the guy who was sitting on my other side.

Smiley
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Aug 2005, 11:30 am

aaronkt wrote:
As long as the person sitting next to me is chatting through the whole movie or smoking, I'm cool with it.

wouldnt that get really annoying after a while? i'd prefer they shut up!

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2005, 1:09 pm

Movie theaters are decent places. As long as you know how to act when you are in them, everything is fine.

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 1:26 pm

8O movies are too loud! Can't that damage your ears? I'd rather wear earplugs than lose my hearing prematurely!

MovieMogul
Toucan
Toucan

31 Aug 2005, 2:25 pm

Movie theatres were under fire for having movies too loud. I remember back in 1998, the loud movies with high cinema volumes were Armgeddon and Lethal Weapon 4. The cinema chains had turned the volume up so that they sustained decibel levels of 120-140 Db for many minutes.

Those levels are deafening for even just short periods of time. Sustaine volumes at those levels is very dangerous.

But I think it's more a case of our ears being more sensitive than most peoples'. I brave the loud volumes because I like to watch the action movies in the cinema. Action never looks as good on DVD.

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 5:38 pm

MovieMogul wrote:
But I think it's more a case of our ears being more sensitive than most peoples'. I brave the loud volumes because I like to watch the action movies in the cinema. Action never looks as good on DVD.

My ears aren't really sensitive to loud music, movies, talking, etc - just to loud noises that are sudden and obnoxious. I will say one thing that bugs me though - when people (especially girls) just randomly start screaming as if they were in pain or frightened. People my age do that a lot for some strange reason.

The closeness at the movie theater doesn't bother me at all, either.

sleepflower
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Sep 2005, 4:53 am

I love theatres because it's so nice and dark in there. I just hate it when people make noise, like talking or tapping their foot against the chair. Fortunately, most people have the decency to just be quiet and watch the film. Also, most people do not sit next to you if there are other free seats. People only sit directly next to you if the theatre is crowded. Loud noises don't really bother me, but then again I hardly ever see action films in the theatre.