Why is meetup.com full of people much older than me?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

asp159
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Aug 2018, 3:09 am

I've been to many meetups now and all of them are full of 40+ year olds. Where are people in their twenties at? Very occasionally there are girls my age and I make the effort to talk to them but they are usually taken or seem very disinterested and will walk off the moment there is a pause in conversation. It's funny because their eyes meet mine initially and they usually say something but then when I start talking to them they start looking away and look irritated to me.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2018, 1:56 pm

is it an interest group, or a singles mixer? if it's a group for a certain interest, maybe try being friendly with everyone and talk to some guys as well? the girls might feel uncomfortable if they notice you are targetting them. again, if this is a singles group, ignore my advice.

good luck!

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 12:15 pm

I think the age factor comes in because that far out of college you have to actively plan social time to get in the same opportunities to meet new people. There's no regular hangout anymore so people make them for themselves. I've seen 20-somethings meets, though.

Most people don't go to the interest-themed ones to date, so it could be taken poorly and not in the spirit of things if you're too forward about looking to meet single women specifically there.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 12:24 pm

asp159 wrote:
I've been to many meetups now and all of them are full of 40+ year olds. Where are people in their twenties at? Very occasionally there are girls my age and I make the effort to talk to them but they are usually taken or seem very disinterested and will walk off the moment there is a pause in conversation. It's funny because their eyes meet mine initially and they usually say something but then when I start talking to them they start looking away and look irritated to me.

Possibly because meetup.com might be better known among older generations rather than younger generations.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2018, 2:51 am

Here in the Netherlands, meetup.com groups tend to be mostly geared toward expatriates. Quite a lot of the attendants are in their 20s and 30s, so plenty age peers for me. Problem is, most of them are hung up on the notion of making a career, so they're not very receptive toward a simple blue collar labourer such as myself. But that's a whole other can of worms.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2018, 10:01 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:
Here in the Netherlands, meetup.com groups tend to be mostly geared toward expatriates. Quite a lot of the attendants are in their 20s and 30s, so plenty age peers for me. Problem is, most of them are hung up on the notion of making a career, so they're not very receptive toward a simple blue collar labourer such as myself. But that's a whole other can of worms.

I hear that social circles in the Netherlands are difficult for outsiders to break in to.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2018, 10:03 am

asp159 wrote:
Why is meetup.com full of people much older than me?
Because older people are much more lonely than you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2018, 10:19 am

You are talking about a web-site platform that was started in the earlier part of the year 2000s. Most people who are familiar with that web-site tend to be people who learned of it back around 2005-ish. This will also likely be true of the Craig's List web-site (also full of its own flaws and short-comings). If you're looking for younger-people trends using «on-line» tools for face-to-face meetings then try something that was launched more recently or maybe find an App on a smart-phone that was released this year or less than a year ago.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2018, 10:30 am

Actually, I need to add one more piece of feedback to your question, and that is : DEMOGRAHPICS

You might also consider just MOVING to a different location where the median-age is closer to your own.
Look up the demographics-information for which-ever location you think might interest you.
According to a search-result for youngest median age state, Utah came up on the list, just as an example.

Look up each city, even take a visit around, travel to somewhere ELSE, and where I currently live, nearly everybody is an old geezer, with hardly any young people populating this «retirement» community, full of its typical ignorance.

Anyway, I include a link to Salt Lake City, Utah, as an example of where/how you can look up demographics...

http://www.city-data.com/city/Salt-Lake-City-Utah.html

Yer welcome.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 2:51 am

Chronos wrote:
CyclopsSummers wrote:

I hear that social circles in the Netherlands are difficult for outsiders to break in to.

There is some truth to that, but it's certainly not an impossible task. And I say this as someone who doesn't have much of a social life to begin with. The stereotype is that the Dutch tend to divide their social life into rather clearly marked 'compartments'; there's family, friends, acquaintances, co-workers, classmates, club members, etc. And most people keep these little 'sub-circles' separated. But even though the Dutch will be a little reserved and anticipating toward new people they meet, if there's actually a common ground, and one takes the initiative to spend some time, it's not hard to start a friendship. It also helps that the Dutch are not that big on hierarchy and will accept everyone on equal terms. Not meaning to boast because Holland isn't perfect but we are a very egalitarian society. And I say this from a minority perspective.